Apple expected to launch paid news subscription service on back of Texture magazine buy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2018
As part of folding the Texture "Netflix for magazines" service into its own products, Apple appears poised to fire up a premium subscription offering integrating curated news to continue to grow services revenue.

Texture sign up screen and partial list of magazines

Following Apple's acquisition of Texture, the company allegedly cut about 20 employees, likely due to redundancy with Apple's own services. This is reportedly part of a larger effort to bolster Apple News, with an integrated offering expecting to launch within the next year.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Bloomberg claims that, as Texture does now, a "slice of the subscription revenue" will go to magazine publishers that are included in the program.

Tuesday's report by Mark Gurman at Bloomberg isn't exactly revelatory, and doesn't add anything more than is already known about the initiative other than the layoffs. Apple Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue spoke about the Texture acquisition at the SXSW "Media Curation, and Why it Matters" session, talking about how important curating news was to Apple, and how Texture would help Apple accomplish its goals -- making it very clear what Apple had in mind.

"We're excited Texture will join Apple, along with an impressive catalog of magazines from many of the world's leading publishers." Cue said in a statement about the buy. "We are committed to quality journalism from trusted sources and allowing magazines to keep producing beautifully designed and engaging stories for users."

"We want the best articles," Cue said at the SXSW event regarding the company's plans for Texture. "We want them to look amazing and we want them to be from trusted sources."

The Texture app is free, with two tiers of subscription. A $9.99 per month tier gives a choice from over 200 monthly titles, with a $14.99 giving you the monthly titles, plus some weekly ones, like People, Entertainment Weekly, Time and others.

The terms of the deal are not known. Texture never disclosed its valuation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    And if that comes with an agent to aggregate news stories and save me from click bait and rereading 96 percent repetitions to find the new and significant, I say big “yes”. Even if it cost more.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,145member
    ...I used this for some time (before Apple ownership) and cancelled due to the lack of a desktop mac option. The Windows desktop app exhibited remarkable potential, especially on a cinema display in portrait mode, to me being better than a physical magazine in many ways - larger, brighter, multimedia capable, screen shot-able to send references to clients, etc... If Apple can offer a mac desktop version that was less buggy (Windows had size limits) it would lure me back...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    "...beautifully designed and...."

Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, except beautiful design is never on the list or a concern if you're all about "quality journalism." It's the latter that you want to build on as a reliable service, not how pretty you think it should look. 

Oh, and by the way, is this not version 3 of Apple's forays into dealing with news? First it was the news app, now it's Apple News, now it's this. 

I also can't want to see how many techie boyz will insist that "I'd pay may more for..." which is always a lie among such a cheap crowd that often disparages journalism and loves to talk about its impending, deserved death. Oh look, there it is.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 4 of 11
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    "...beautifully designed and...."

Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, except beautiful design is never on the list or a concern if you're all about "quality journalism." It's the latter that you want to build on as a reliable service, not how pretty you think it should look. 

Oh, and by the way, is this not version 3 of Apple's forays into dealing with news? First it was the news app, now it's Apple News, now it's this. 

I also can't want to see how many techie boyz will insist that "I'd pay may more for..." which is always a lie among such a cheap crowd that often disparages journalism and loves to talk about its impending, deserved death. Oh look, there it is.
    It seems like this would be an enhancement to Apple News not a replacement or sign that Apple News failed. With hardware sales flat the only real growth area for Apple is to generate more revenue from existing customers. This is one way to do it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'd pay to not have access to these mags ;-)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The Texture app IS well designed, one of the best and Apple has essentially bought the relationship with all those publishers (not needing to renegotiate tons of contracts).

Right now, it's just undermarketed and Apple buying that will help reach a broader audience.

• Reply 7 of 11
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    What most people are missing is how successful Apple News has become, and consequently, the huge potential for Apple to offer quality "reading" material.  Apple News was growing quickly and a year and half ago was up to over 70 million monthly active users (up from 40 million in 2015), and is probably over a 100 million by now. Apple has realized it is on to something big.  The iPad is also uniquely positioned to take advantage of integrating technology into beautiful magazine and newspaper articles.  (Biggest problem is to continue to improve curation without letting its admitted left wing political bias impact it.)  

If Apple were to offer magazines and newspapers a cut of the subscribers monthly fee and go AD free with no trackers, etc. it will be an enormous hit and major threat to Facebook. 
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Let me guess, another US-only initiative? How about focusing a few years on building out a more even geographical distribution of key services already on offer?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Just noticed there is at least one rival, offering thousands of magazines, called Readly. As an att customer I’m getting 12 months free. Just started today. It’s a different deal, as you’re limited in how many you read each month. So good, Apple even more incentive to improve texture. 

• Reply 10 of 11
    ombra2105 said:
    Let me guess, another US-only initiative? How about focusing a few years on building out a more even geographical distribution of key services already on offer?
    Actually looks like Readly offered in UK and Europe. May have unlimited plan option too. No doubt Apple knew about this on buyout. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Not all those trusted sources are indeed trusted sources. Especially in the news segment. Putting their own political spin or bias into the reporting of a story and thus clouding its integrity...from those with a left-wing bias to those of a right-wing bias. All helping to create a lot of hate in the world.