Apple's iOS 11.3.1 update fixes issue with third-party iPhone 8 displays, macOS security u...

Posted:
in iOS edited April 2018
Apple has released updates for the iPhone, iPad, and the Mac, with iOS 11.3.1 fixing a third-party display issue among other changes, while Security Update 2018-001 for macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 plugs a hole that could allow an app to take over a Mac's desktop.

The iOS 11.3.1 update is a minor change to the mobile operating system, fixing a number of small issues. The main change of the update is it addresses a reported problem where some iPhone 8 devices become unresponsive to touch-based inputs, with the primary group affected being handsets that underwent servicing with third-party replacement displays.

The touch functionality issue started after the release of iOS 11.3, with the update reportedly causing thousands of iPhone 8 devices with aftermarket screens to stop working properly.

Apple issues a warning in the release notes to users against using unauthorized third-party repair shops, advising:
Note: Non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts. See support.apple.com for more information.
The update, weighing in at 49.5 megabytes, can be downloaded from the Settings app under General, then Software Update.

Security Update 2018-001, released on Tuesday, fixes two vulnerabilities in macOS High Sierra 10.13.4.

The first, under Crash Reporter, addresses a memory corruption issue by improving error handling. Reported by Ian Beer of Google Project Zero, the vulnerability allowed an application to "gain elevated privileges," which if exploited could allow an attacker complete control of a Mac desktop if left unpatched.

The other issue, credited to Zhiyang Zeng of Tencent Security and Roman Mueller, involves the use of a "maliciously crafted text message" that could be used to spoof the user interface. The issue existed in how LinkPresentation handled URLs, and has been fixed with improved input validation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9

Can those of us who opt only for Apple repair facilities get a smaller version of iOS without this part of the patch.

:)

• Reply 2 of 9
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Don't know if it's coincidence or not but this MacOS security update along with both the iOS and MacOS Duet updates out today fixes what 10.13.4 broke and I am now able to use Duet with my iPad Pro as an extended second display with my 2017 iMac on 10.13.4.  It works well with all programs, files and drives but using the second extended display with iTunes is kind of iffy.   For me this is a big deal as I use Duet extensively with my workflow and I can now update my laptop again.
    ivanhFolio
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    Only the Desktop or it can take over the whole machine?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    tokyojimu said:
    Only the Desktop or it can take over the whole machine?
    Duet turns an iPhone or iPad into a second monitor (works with either PC or Mac).  Just like any second monitor it can be set up to mirror or extend (turning the device into an extension of the iMac screen.  Super helpful for me traveling with a laptop as I can simply use my iPad as a second monitor to put up spreadsheets and/or documents.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    emoeller said:
    Don't know if it's coincidence or not but this MacOS security update along with both the iOS and MacOS Duet updates out today fixes what 10.13.4 broke and I am now able to use Duet with my iPad Pro as an extended second display with my 2017 iMac on 10.13.4.  It works well with all programs, files and drives but using the second extended display with iTunes is kind of iffy.   For me this is a big deal as I use Duet extensively with my workflow and I can now update my laptop again.
    Thanks Emoeller. Very helpful information 🙂
  • Reply 6 of 9
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    11.3.1 and things are still a bit...Funny. Unlocking with TouchID and then swiping down for notifications often brings up the pin unlock screen, which stays for a second and then shows the notifications. I had to force reboot when playing something in the Podcasts app seemed to freeze up the whole system. Etc, just such a big system now that there's all these little things that sometimes are fixed, sometimes are not, and when they are it often comes with new little things. It'll /work/, but ideally we wouldn't have to live with all these little bugs. 

I might be tempted to only hop between the last stable release of every major iOS version, after going through 11.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    emoeller said:
    It's coincidental timing -- but good news.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    clog76clog76 Posts: 1member
    I did the update yesterday to my iPhone 8 and now I can no longer send or receive text messages. iMessage or sms. I spoke to a senior advisor at Apple and they have no idea how it did this or how to fix it as of now. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    robin311robin311 Posts: 1member
    I have an iPhone 7 and have had problems with my keyboard ever since I had a third-party screen installed, but it definitely got worse with 11.3.  I literally had the screen installed two days before I did the 11.3 update so it may have been a coincidence but I do know that it can’t be a coincidence that my keyboard stopped working as soon as I did that update.  This 11.3.1 update says it fixes those issues on iPhone 8 but I wonder if it’s safe to assume it will fix the issues on the iPhone 7?