Apple's rumored AR & VR 'T288' headset may use 8K eyepieces, implement WiGig

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2020
Apple's rumored AR headset will be capable of both augmented and virtual reality, and will likely depend on a separate box acting as a "brain" for the device, a report claimed on Friday.

A Magic Leap AR headset.
A Magic Leap AR headset.

The headset -- still in its early phases and first discussed in November 2017 -- is expected to use 8K displays for each eye, and a processor faster than any Apple currently makes. The product has once again been codenamed "T288," and is said to be targeted for a 2020 launch.

Sources familiar with the matter told CNET that in its present form the prototype box looks like a PC tower. To overcome some of the obstacles of VR systems like the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift, all of the sensors needed for motion tracking will be built into both the headset and box. The Vive and Rift depend on external satellites to detect full-body movements.

Because of the bandwidth demands of AR and VR, and to avoid cables, Apple's system will allegedly use 60-gigahertz WiGig. It could potentially use WiGig 2.0, or 802.11ay, which should be finalized in 2019.

Apple's processor for the device is expected to use 5-nanometer technology, half the size of the process used in the iPhone X's A11 Bionic. TSMC is allegedly starting its 7nm process this year -- but confirmation of that may need to wait for the 2018 flagship iPhone releases.

In the past year Apple executives like CEO Tim Cook have expressed a strong interest in AR. The iPhone 8 and X were engineered with it in mind, and the company has also released ARKit, which simplifies AR development on iOS. Numerous AR- and VR-related patents have been published, among them ones for eye tracking and partial display updates.

The headset itself has been more mysterious. The November report was the first to mention the T288 name and 2020 window and also said that the device uses new software dubbed "rOS," and may use of a mix of Siri commands, head gestures, and/or a touch panel for control.

8K eyepieces would put Apple's products well beyond current hardware. The Vive Pro, for example, is already sharper than most VR headsets with a resolution of 1,440-by-1,600 pixels per eye. The set is nevertheless bulky, and can only go wireless through an optional adapter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What’s it for?
    tallest skil1983
  • Reply 2 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ireland said:
    What’s it for?
    Gaming in all likelihood...
    Apple already makes a heckuva profit from them. 

I think many of us here misread Apple's intent when Mr. Cook discussed AR as opposed to VR. I can't see Apple leaving a few $B on the table from one of their most profitable services segments. They'll do a VR gaming headset.
    edited April 2018 1983
  • Reply 3 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I believe absolutely none of the rumors until there’s a product.
    ireland[Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 66
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Apple will outsell every other company put together. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 66
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Might the "separate box acting as a brain" be a future Watch or iPhone? Hmm.
    caladaniantrashman691983watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    nunzy said:
    Well of course. We all know that. Just about any product Apple ships will outsell every competitor, as it should. Who has a comparable fanbase, a hard-earned and well-deserved one I might add?

Imagine for instance the HomePod had been a Samsung product rather than Apple's. It would have been roundly ridiculed as too expensive, too limited, too niche, and not ready for market with too many vaporware promises of features to come. Coming from Apple instead carries a lot of weight.
    edited April 2018 muthuk_vanalingamnunzy[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 66
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mike1 said:
    Might the "separate box acting as a brain" be a future Watch or iPhone? Hmm.
    With 8k output?  No.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    nunzy said:
    Too late to invest in AAPL now, friend.
    nunzycornchip
  • Reply 9 of 66
    gatorguy said:
    ireland said:
    What’s it for?

I think many of us here misread Apple's intent when Mr. Cook discussed AR as opposed to VR. I can't see Apple leaving a few $B on the table from one of their most profitable services segments. They'll do a VR gaming headset.
    Remember that’s only a prediction. We have no clue what Apple are up to, in reality. 
  • Reply 10 of 66
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    AR 2020 glasses that look fairly normal, and an iPhone model 2020 in pocket for the main processor, and we're all set!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Misfits should update "20 Eyes" for Modern Times: 8,000 eyes in my head, 8,000 eyes in my head, 8,000 eyes in my head, not all the same, not all the same! (Could keep the original "They're all the same," depending on feature set.)
  • Reply 12 of 66
    ireland said:
    nunzy said:
    Too late to invest in AAPL now, friend.
    Not when those who speak out of their behinds slag off everything APPL does and the results stink. The stock will drop like a stone making billions for the shorters. Then it will be a buying opportunity.
    But shares may go up as well as down and I'm not an investor in APPL and what I have said is total rubbish.
    irelandnunzy
  • Reply 13 of 66
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So it’s a dorky headset that requires a Mac Pro like device to be used? What is the purpose? 
  • Reply 14 of 66
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    8k? Finally someone (hopefully) started thinking about real VR glasses, and not just something that projects 1000x1000 images for each eye, with the size of pixels so big, you could see them...as if you are looking through a car window shade.
    cornchip
  • Reply 15 of 66
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gatorguy said:
    ireland said:
    What’s it for?

Secondarily for gaming. It’s the next stage in the evolution of the personal computer, comparable to earlier ones like the graphical interface and the touchscreen communicator in your pocket.

The pointing device is not a mouse or a finger, it will be your two eyes. Hands free and quick as a glance, and useful in another dimension, the 3rd or z-axis. “Hey Siri, what’s the address of that building? . . . What kind of tree is that in front of it.?” (Actually, Siri will remind you that she knows what tree you’re looking at.)

Text will be suspended in space, and cursor placement to change a word or letter will happen effortlessly. Dyslexics will learn to read and spell.

Binocular fusion, seeing the world in depth, is a powerful thing.
    edited April 2018 iqatedo1983
  • Reply 16 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ireland said:
    What’s it for?
    You never know…

anton zuykovNameo_radarthekatSpamSandwichcornchip[Deleted User]
  • Reply 17 of 66
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    So it’s a dorky headset that requires a Mac Pro like device to be used? What is the purpose? 
    Wait, so you’ve seen the finished designs? What elements are dorky to you specifically? Can you share pics or are you still under NDA?

Or are you just totally clueless like everyone else and making wild guesses? Yyyeaaah.  
    edited April 2018 fastasleepRayz20161983cornchipbrucemc
  • Reply 18 of 66
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    I love how difficult it is for our linear-thinking brains to grasp technological advances that improve exponentially!  Yes, that tower used in today's prototype will be in the user's pocket in 2020.
    edited April 2018 fastasleepStrangeDayscornchipmike1
  • Reply 19 of 66
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Virtual sex
    1983anton zuykov
  • Reply 20 of 66
    lepton said:
    AR 2020 glasses that look fairly normal, and an iPhone model 2020 in pocket for the main processor, and we're all set!
    We’re all set for what? I’m wearing no glasses.