Bloomberg obsessed with Google's Pixel, Apple's iPhone Supply Chain -- but not Google's Pi...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    gatorguy said:

The point of Android was that the crappy PC makers were all supposed to lock arms and take down the big bad Apple in smartphones. I
    They were supposed to take Apple down? Really? IMHO they were hoping to compete with them. Who the heck was talking about destroy? Ummm, no one AFAIK. Sounds more than a bit imaginative...
    Circle the wagons much?

But regarding your primary point about processors I tend to agree with you. I'm not sure there's going to be enough quantity/demand to get great pricing unless there's something else going on that's not yet apparent. 
    Your desperate attempts to rewrite history are so fantastically delusional. As if Android hasn't been the platform of robot stickers pissing on an Apple logo, and instead was actually some serious group of exceptional hardware makers trying to build good products.
    That's your counter-narrative?  That Android has been focussed on pissing on Apple?  That it's "the point" of it?

While undoubtedly there are some dickhead "Android people" who have a bee in their bonnet about Apple (the exact opposite could be said about some "Apple people"), the majority of Android users just want a good phone for a reasonable price, and the majority of Android manufacturers just want to make a good phone that they can sell at a price that earns a reasonable profit. 

This holy war that you're trying to set up between the platforms does not exist for the vast majority of people, including people/businesses involved in the industry and customers.  Most people don't care the way you do.
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamavon b7singularity
  • Reply 62 of 69
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    Muntz said:
    gatorguy said:
    Why would anyone care about "Google's Pixel supply chain"? What exactly would you realistically expect reported and why?

With that said the lack of sales didn't prevent the blogosphere blasting at full-volume every perceived failure of the Pixel line whether real, imaginary, widespread or one-off. The tech writers are equal-opportunity click-baiters. If there's a "name" and a possible nega-story they will write it. Apple fans already know that. 

As for HTC they were pummeled by an overwhelming Samsung ad campaign in the West going back to 2010, and hammered by an aggressively-priced Xiaomi in China ever since too, with Huawei putting last nails in their coffin. Their unimaginative 2012-2016 phones helped hasten the slide.

Google's hardware orders from them were never going to be any more a blip which surprises absolutely no one, so HTC's poor showing since their heyday certainly can't be blamed on Pixels. May as well blame it on Windows Phone which is what they started out with years before Android. It's the HTC Sense phones for T-Mo/Verizon/Orange and those built for the massive Chinese market that were left wanting and thus competed poorly. Where HTC once was in the forefront on smartphone design many of their recent handsets now look dated and uninspired. They simply weren't prepared for the dual assault of Samsung and the high-spec/low-price Chinese manufacturers.

In hindsight they might have been better off as a contract manufacturer which is where they started. The expectations for their demise have been in the news since 2011, this ain't nuttin' recent. 
    I'm starting to think AI pays you to post here to engage readers and drive forum engagement. I cannot imagine a normal person caring this much about Google—an advertising company—to white knight them in the way that you've done for years.
    Nope.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

Google is not a hardware company.
    Not for much longer. They have a team of chip designers working on their versions of the Apple 'A' series.

The question is... Will Aphabet get tired of it and like so many things, the close them down.
    Only time will tell.
    Google is not a hardware company because that’s not how they make their money. If the Pixel line ended tomorrow it would have very little impact on the company.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 64 of 69
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    The only rational way to interpret the bad information written about AAPL is to assume stock manipulation. It happens predictably in the run up to earnings season.
    Or Apple is very big and very popular and our culture likes seeing the big and popular taken down. But honestly Wall Street looks at Apple as a gadget company and worries that eventually their gadgets will no longer be popular or someone else will come along and build a better gadget. That’s why they want Apple to do all this ancillary stuff they can charge subscriptions for. I see a lot of people tweet about how undervalued Apple is in comparison to other tech companies. But isn’t that partially the fault of Apple management not doing a good job of controlling the narrative about the company? 
  • Reply 65 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    Muntz said:
    gatorguy said:
    Why would anyone ... expectations for their demise have been in the news since 2011, this ain't nuttin' recent. 
    I'm starting to think AI pays you to post here to engage readers and drive forum engagement. I cannot imagine a normal person caring this much about Google—an advertising company—to white knight them in the way that you've done for years.
    I would actually support a GoFundMe to have Gatorguy start his own blog and promise not to drive forum engagement off the rails into insanity here ߘ⦬t;/div>
    You know how to find me, so if you feel that driven I'm not going to talk you out of donations. :) 
    Afterall you're the reason I'm here in the first place as you know.
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 66 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    k2kw said:
    KITA said:

Google is not a hardware company.
    Not for much longer. They have a team of chip designers working on their versions of the Apple 'A' series.

The question is... Will Aphabet get tired of it and like so many things, the close them down.
    Only time will tell.
    A primary problem for Google's custom chip development is that it can't sell hardware at any price. Recall that Apple had a lead with PowerPC in the late 90s, but because Macs were the only customer, PPC fell behind. Google is selling about half the Pixels as Apple was selling Macs back then, and developing a chip (or even a function) differentiatingly competitive with Apple's A11 or Qualcomm, etc is a bigger task than pushing the clock speed of a G5 ahead. 

The point of Android was that the crappy PC makers were all supposed to lock arms and take down the big bad Apple in smartphones. Instead, they are competing with each other on price (just like they did in PCs!) and Apple is advancing in ways they can't keep up, while they're forced to spend lots of money to make very little profit. 
    The Pixel Visual Core utilized development of Google's own ALU technology that's also used in their Tensor Processing Units. The PVC offered 3 TFLOPS of performance on a mobile power budget, that's 5x more than the Neural Engine in the A11. Developing this type of hardware goes beyond just mobile. Google just announced the 3rd generation TPU today with 8x the performance of the previous generation. So a single 4-chip module should have ~1.5 PFLOPS of performance and a full set of racks (256 chips total) will offer 100 PFLOPS. That's a considerable amount of performance that can be utilized for inference of neural networks.
    Is this chip and software being offered to Google’s OEMs like software?  Or is google keeping it for its Pixel phones.   If so they are rats.
    Yes it would be interesting if Google got into the custom chip business and applied its AI savvy into silicon. But so far, all it has done is work to build this hardware into its own proprietary Android phone that was expected to sell at iPhone prices, but failed to sell in any quantity at all.
    Daniel, the chip he's discussing isn't for smartphones, so no it's not in any Pixel phone. You're just a little confused at the moment, understandable with all the stuff Google discussed in the past 24 hours. It's a lot to take in, and some details aren't yet all that clear anyway. Give it week or so.

BTW congrats in order...
    PED discussed your article yesterday, giving you props for your viewpoint. 
    edited May 2018 singularity
  • Reply 67 of 69
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    Who cares about Google Pixel? Google is not a hardware company. The majority of their revenue and profits are not generated from Pixel hardware.

My Twitter timeline is full of tech journalists at Google I/O going nuts over the stuff Google is announcing with Assistant. Like Assistant using AI to book an appointment by voice with a real person on the other end. Or contextually aware Assistant able to continue a conversation without you having to say Hey Google every time. Ben Bajarin who is a  pretty pro-Apple analyst says Google Assistant is an area where Android is dramatically ahead of iOS. He even thinks it’s possible people might switch platforms to get the best assistant. Where is the DED/AI editorial about Siri and how it’s woefully behind the competition? It will be a rough summer and fall for Apple if we don’t see major improvements to Siri at WWDC. Heck I’d even take someone on stage discussing the things Apple is working on that might not be available right away. At least something to show they’re serious about turning Siri into a real competitive platform like Alexa and Assistant currently are.
    Agree all the way through. I'd be happy to be surprised, but I don't see any evidence that Siri will ever become useful beyond taking dictation (which she actually does pretty well for me). I'm puzzled at how projects just get "lost" at Apple (unlike most other corporations that I'm aware of or have worked at), like the Mac Pro, the Mini, laptops, HomeKit and Siri. Are there no Product Managers anywhere? But by all means full speed ahead on yet more remodeling of Apple Stores, important stuff like that.

I can't believe Siri was conceived of to do things like connect to the internet so that you could get the square root of 11,373 from Wolfram / Mathematica, but no useful functionality for every day tasks that humans might want to do. 
  • Reply 68 of 69
    I certainly despise fake news thrown at Apple or any other company, but I'm not going to sweat it. As long as Apple has an aggressive buyback plan in place, if these people want to drag down Apple's share price, then so be it. In a way, these liars are doing me a favor. The lower they can drag down Apple's share price due to scared and gutless Apple shareholders, the easier it is for Apple to buy back more shares at a lower price. Buffet also said he'd buy more Apple stock if the price goes down. Negative Apple news can't be stopped. There are an awful lot of people out there who simply hate Apple and they want to voice their opinion. I just don't like when they're trying to push their opinions as facts.

Analysts should know better not to use supply chain data for predicting iPhone or any Apple product sales. They've been told that data is inaccurate. I think they're deliberately trying to misinform potential investors and current shareholders when they start spreading that false information all over the internet. It's a lousy thing to do to ignorant investors but that's just how Wall Street works.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 69 of 69
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,289member
    I certainly despise fake news thrown at Apple or any other company, but I'm not going to sweat it. As long as Apple has an aggressive buyback plan in place, if these people want to drag down Apple's share price, then so be it. In a way, these liars are doing me a favor. The lower they can drag down Apple's share price due to scared and gutless Apple shareholders, the easier it is for Apple to buy back more shares at a lower price. Buffet also said he'd buy more Apple stock if the price goes down. Negative Apple news can't be stopped. There are an awful lot of people out there who simply hate Apple and they want to voice their opinion. I just don't like when they're trying to push their opinions as facts.

Analysts should know better not to use supply chain data for predicting iPhone or any Apple product sales. They've been told that data is inaccurate. I think they're deliberately trying to misinform potential investors and current shareholders when they start spreading that false information all over the internet. It's a lousy thing to do to ignorant investors but that's just how Wall Street works.
    I was annoyed as well until I saw the company I my portfolio that trades on sentimental price moves return over 12% last year.