Microsoft to reportedly target iPad with cheaper Surface tablets

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 50
    KITAKITA Posts: 138member
    78Bandit said:
    They will need two things to be even remotely successful: well-coded power efficient apps and week-long standby time.

    I've got both a Surface Pro 4 and an iPad.  They are two completely different devices.  The iPad is simple to use with great apps for content consumption.  I mainly use it for web browsing, accessing reference books in either .pdf or Kindle formats, and reading the news on the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, New York Times, Economist, and a few local papers.  The apps on the iPad are leaps and bounds ahead of what (if anything) is available on the Windows Store.

    My Surface also runs the battery down in the space of a couple of days unless I shut it down while my iPad will lose maybe 5% per day just sitting around.  I'll charge my iPad and my Google Nexus 7 once per week while my Surface needs charging pretty much every other day.  Connected standby needs to work more efficiently so I could be confident the device will work when I pick it up.
    They might use a 2-core 10 nm Intel Cannon Lake processor that can support LPDDR4.

    The i3-8121U is launching in a Lenovo notebook in Asia. Although, it wouldn't be this specific model as it doesn't have an iGPU, potentially something similar with a UHD 620.

    https://ark.intel.com/products/136863/Intel-Core-i3-8121U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz
  • Reply 22 of 50
    thttht Posts: 2,848member
    I think this new attempt will fail as long as it has a 10” display. It’s just not enough screen space to run Windows applications, especially when people can get devices with bigger displays for cheaper.

    IMO, they’d be better off taking the existing 12.3” Surface Pro and lowering the resolution of the display (like 1350x900), as well as the other options to decrease the cost of the device, and selling that for $500. May eat into sales of higher price Surface devices though. Or maybe this is really MS video player style device, or cashier terminal device, and they really don’t intend on selling as a normal Windows computer.

    Apple is going to be revving the iPad Pros this year two, and they can drop the price of the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5, which is a very good device, to $500 if they wanted to. It’s a moving target.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 50
    rob53 said:
    I understand the need/desire to discuss non-Apple products but this website is called AppleInsider not “let’s talk about everyone else’s product.” I only use Windows products when I’m helping a friend fix their dead computer. I really don’t care what Microsoft is doing to try and stay relevant. 
    The thing is that Microsoft will directly target Apple in their advertising campaign. They already do that with the Surface and 'I can't do that on a Mac'.
    They'll come up with a series of adverts that are flashy and in their eyes cool but not show anything that the users would do but they'll be successful.
    They will probably highlight the weaknesses of the iPad and go for the jugular.
    This affects all of us who use Apple kit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 50
    KITAKITA Posts: 138member
    rob53 said:
    I understand the need/desire to discuss non-Apple products but this website is called AppleInsider not “let’s talk about everyone else’s product.” I only use Windows products when I’m helping a friend fix their dead computer. I really don’t care what Microsoft is doing to try and stay relevant. 
    The thing is that Microsoft will directly target Apple in their advertising campaign. They already do that with the Surface and 'I can't do that on a Mac'.
    They'll come up with a series of adverts that are flashy and in their eyes cool but not show anything that the users would do but they'll be successful.
    They will probably highlight the weaknesses of the iPad and go for the jugular.
    This affects all of us who use Apple kit.
    They didn't mentioned Apple in any of their 2017 advertising for the Surface Pro, Surface Laptop or Surface Book 2.

    Surface Book 2:



    Surface Laptop:



    Surface Pro:


  • Reply 25 of 50
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 811member
    KITA said:
    78Bandit said:
    They will need two things to be even remotely successful: well-coded power efficient apps and week-long standby time.

    I've got both a Surface Pro 4 and an iPad.  They are two completely different devices.  The iPad is simple to use with great apps for content consumption.  I mainly use it for web browsing, accessing reference books in either .pdf or Kindle formats, and reading the news on the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, New York Times, Economist, and a few local papers.  The apps on the iPad are leaps and bounds ahead of what (if anything) is available on the Windows Store.

    My Surface also runs the battery down in the space of a couple of days unless I shut it down while my iPad will lose maybe 5% per day just sitting around.  I'll charge my iPad and my Google Nexus 7 once per week while my Surface needs charging pretty much every other day.  Connected standby needs to work more efficiently so I could be confident the device will work when I pick it up.
    They might use a 2-core 10 nm Intel Cannon Lake processor that can support LPDDR4.

    The i3-8121U is launching in a Lenovo notebook in Asia. Although, it wouldn't be this specific model as it doesn't have an iGPU, potentially something similar with a UHD 620.

    https://ark.intel.com/products/136863/Intel-Core-i3-8121U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz
    They don't have a price on it... but unless they significantly lower the price on the U processors... I don't think this would be affordable in this target device.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    KITAKITA Posts: 138member
    bkkcanuck said:
    KITA said:
    78Bandit said:
    They will need two things to be even remotely successful: well-coded power efficient apps and week-long standby time.

    I've got both a Surface Pro 4 and an iPad.  They are two completely different devices.  The iPad is simple to use with great apps for content consumption.  I mainly use it for web browsing, accessing reference books in either .pdf or Kindle formats, and reading the news on the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, New York Times, Economist, and a few local papers.  The apps on the iPad are leaps and bounds ahead of what (if anything) is available on the Windows Store.

    My Surface also runs the battery down in the space of a couple of days unless I shut it down while my iPad will lose maybe 5% per day just sitting around.  I'll charge my iPad and my Google Nexus 7 once per week while my Surface needs charging pretty much every other day.  Connected standby needs to work more efficiently so I could be confident the device will work when I pick it up.
    They might use a 2-core 10 nm Intel Cannon Lake processor that can support LPDDR4.

    The i3-8121U is launching in a Lenovo notebook in Asia. Although, it wouldn't be this specific model as it doesn't have an iGPU, potentially something similar with a UHD 620.

    https://ark.intel.com/products/136863/Intel-Core-i3-8121U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz
    They don't have a price on it... but unless they significantly lower the price on the U processors... I don't think this would be affordable in this target device.
    Lenovo is launching it in a budget 15" laptop with an AMD dGPU for ~$500.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    KITA said:
    They didn't mentioned Apple in any of their 2017 advertising for the Surface Pro, Surface Laptop or Surface Book 2.

    They did here in the UK for the Surface Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 50
    KITAKITA Posts: 138member
    KITA said:
    They didn't mentioned Apple in any of their 2017 advertising for the Surface Pro, Surface Laptop or Surface Book 2.

    They did here in the UK for the Surface Pro.
    Probably some recycled 2016 ads making their way across the pond.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,577member
    KITA said:
    rob53 said:
    I understand the need/desire to discuss non-Apple products but this website is called AppleInsider not “let’s talk about everyone else’s product.” I only use Windows products when I’m helping a friend fix their dead computer. I really don’t care what Microsoft is doing to try and stay relevant. 
    The thing is that Microsoft will directly target Apple in their advertising campaign. They already do that with the Surface and 'I can't do that on a Mac'.
    They'll come up with a series of adverts that are flashy and in their eyes cool but not show anything that the users would do but they'll be successful.
    They will probably highlight the weaknesses of the iPad and go for the jugular.
    This affects all of us who use Apple kit.
    They didn't mentioned Apple in any of their 2017 advertising for the Surface Pro, Surface Laptop or Surface Book 2.

    Surface Book 2:



    Surface Laptop:



    Surface Pro:


    You mean they actually tried to tell my why I would want this instead of doing free advertising for Apple? When I see an ad, I don't want to see a competitors product in there. I want to see what I can do with the damn thing. I don't need to see a competitors product in order to see why I'd want this. If you've ever noticed....you never see some other products in Apple's marketing. They tell a story, they tell you why you'd want this and what it can do. They don't do these cheesy comparison ads that do little for you. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 29,880member
    KITA said:
    I'd be curious to see what will become of this. The Surface team's hardware design has been improving considerably lately. They just announced this yesterday:


    Why didn’t they introduce this at their developers conference? If they did, it completely missed the news cycle.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 1,543member
    KITA said:
    I'd be curious to see what will become of this. The Surface team's hardware design has been improving considerably lately. They just announced this yesterday:


    Why didn’t they introduce this at their developers conference? If they did, it completely missed the news cycle.
    This is being officially released in 2019 so there's a good chance it will be available for Build 2019
  • Reply 32 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 29,880member
    KITA said:
    I'd be curious to see what will become of this. The Surface team's hardware design has been improving considerably lately. They just announced this yesterday:


    Why didn’t they introduce this at their developers conference? If they did, it completely missed the news cycle.
    This is being officially released in 2019 so there's a good chance it will be available for Build 2019
    I see. So it’s just a concept video at this point.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 50
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 203member
    KITA said:
    I'd be curious to see what will become of this. The Surface team's hardware design has been improving considerably lately. They just announced this yesterday:


    Why didn’t they introduce this at their developers conference? If they did, it completely missed the news cycle.
    This is being officially released in 2019 so there's a good chance it will be available for Build 2019
    I see. So it’s just a concept video at this point.
    But looking damn good!
  • Reply 34 of 50
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 3,223member
    KITA said:
    Who is the Surface for other than hipsters that read The Verge? If Surface was an Apple product it would be considered a failure.  Heck the tech press considers iPad a failure yet it does 9x the revenue of Surface. This product is hyped way more than it deserves to be.
    Only ~3.7x the revenue in the last quarter.

    Surface - 1.1 billion
    iPad - 4.1 billion


    Oops I pulled units instead of revenue. Of course we’d have to pull a combination of iPad and Mac revenue to compare to Surface. Anyway there has not been a huge increase in Surface revenue (from $900M to $1.3B in 4 years) even though Microsoft introduced higher priced products into the lineup. Seems to me the product gets way too much hype/attention and if it was an Apple product it would be considered a flop.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    KITAKITA Posts: 138member
    KITA said:
    I'd be curious to see what will become of this. The Surface team's hardware design has been improving considerably lately. They just announced this yesterday:


    Why didn’t they introduce this at their developers conference? If they did, it completely missed the news cycle.
    This is being officially released in 2019 so there's a good chance it will be available for Build 2019
    I see. So it’s just a concept video at this point.
    A lot of the software and features already exist on the first Surface Hub, so it's a bit more than a concept video. This is more likely to serve as an introduction for companies that are interested. Microsoft said it's going to sample the Hub 2 with a number of their commercial customers this year.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 29,880member
    KITA said:
    KITA said:
    I'd be curious to see what will become of this. The Surface team's hardware design has been improving considerably lately. They just announced this yesterday:


    Why didn’t they introduce this at their developers conference? If they did, it completely missed the news cycle.
    This is being officially released in 2019 so there's a good chance it will be available for Build 2019
    I see. So it’s just a concept video at this point.
    A lot of the software and features already exist on the first Surface Hub, so it's a bit more than a concept video. This is more likely to serve as an introduction for companies that are interested. Microsoft said it's going to sample the Hub 2 with a number of their commercial customers this year.
    I’d wait and see what Microsoft actually delivers since they have a history of showing off flashy concept videos and delivering something far less exciting. Their history is littered with videos like this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 50
    KITAKITA Posts: 138member
    KITA said:
    KITA said:
    I'd be curious to see what will become of this. The Surface team's hardware design has been improving considerably lately. They just announced this yesterday:


    Why didn’t they introduce this at their developers conference? If they did, it completely missed the news cycle.
    This is being officially released in 2019 so there's a good chance it will be available for Build 2019
    I see. So it’s just a concept video at this point.
    A lot of the software and features already exist on the first Surface Hub, so it's a bit more than a concept video. This is more likely to serve as an introduction for companies that are interested. Microsoft said it's going to sample the Hub 2 with a number of their commercial customers this year.
    I’d wait and see what Microsoft actually delivers since they have a history of showing off flashy concept videos and delivering something far less exciting. Their history is littered with videos like this.
    Not with Surface devices in the past few years. Again, a lot of this already exists for the first generation Surface Hub.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    KITAKITA Posts: 138member
    KITA said:
    Who is the Surface for other than hipsters that read The Verge? If Surface was an Apple product it would be considered a failure.  Heck the tech press considers iPad a failure yet it does 9x the revenue of Surface. This product is hyped way more than it deserves to be.
    Only ~3.7x the revenue in the last quarter.

    Surface - 1.1 billion
    iPad - 4.1 billion


    Oops I pulled units instead of revenue. Of course we’d have to pull a combination of iPad and Mac revenue to compare to Surface. Anyway there has not been a huge increase in Surface revenue (from $900M to $1.3B in 4 years) even though Microsoft introduced higher priced products into the lineup. Seems to me the product gets way too much hype/attention and if it was an Apple product it would be considered a flop.
    Surface revenue Q4 2013 (Q2 2014) - $0.9 billion
    Surface revenue Q4 2017 (Q2 2018) - $1.3 billion

    Mac + iPad revenue Q4 2013 (Q1 2014) - $17.
    8 billion
    Mac + iPad revenue Q4 2017 (Q1 201
    8) - $12.7 billion  

    I don't know what your point regarding the revenue is.

    The attention comes from the fact they're making quality devices that often do some new and useful things.
    edited May 16
  • Reply 39 of 50
    entropysentropys Posts: 1,249member
    IT departments would demand users use a surface tablet instead of an iPad. That the hardware isn’t as good, the battery life poorer, any other deficiency would not matter. It would be a golden opportunity to get rid of iPads.  It’s MS all the way baby.

    They hates Apple users.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 50
    It's possible that the target isn't Apple's iPad but Google's Chromebooks. I would tend to think Microsoft is more on Apple's side than Google's side. It would definitely be harder for Microsoft to go up against Apple's hardware business than Google's hardware business. I'm sure Microsoft would have an advantage over Google when it comes to hardware sales.
Sign In or Register to comment.