Purchasing advice: 15" LCD to use spanned with iBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I recently did the fairly easy firmware hack to allow the 2002 iBooks to span across a couple monitors. Right now I have it hooked up to an old 17" Apple Studio Display, but I am ready to get a 15" LCD to use along side the LCD that is already a part of the iBook.

My first though was the Apple LCD, but then I realized the Monitor adapter for the iBook is analog, not ADC, DVI, etc...so would the quality of the Apple LCD really make that big of a difference? I was looking at Dell LCDs in the mall the other day, and they looked pretty crisp. What are some decent 15" LCDs and which LCDs should i AVOID?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I'd probably be wary of any of the $199 after rebate deals that I've seen online lately, never heard of any of the makers before.

Samsung makes great monitors, I have a 17" LCD and it's really nice.

The KDS Rad-5 is a pretty decent 15" LCD also. I'd imagine some of the NEC and Viesonic LCDs aren't too bad either. Take a look at C|Net's reviews to get an idea of what to check out and avoid.

As always, stop by the local store and check it out firsthand before buying any of them.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    First of all, it's impossible to use an ADC monitor on an iBook unless you get a $300 or $400 VGA-to-ADC adapter. It's made by one company, very expensive.

If you get an analog flat panel that uses VGA, you definitely want to read reviews and see for yourself. They can be fuzzy and many times they aren't worth the extra money as opposed to a CRT. They cost less than digital LCDs but more than CRTs, but in some cases they offer no better quality than a CRT.

Yeah, try them out in a store first, see what you like.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    MY 15" NEC MultiSync 1530v's been really good for me in the past year that I've had it. It's VGA and it isn't fuzzy or anything at all.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i was in wal-mart yesterday and they, of all places have a KDS rad-5x for $225...marked down from like $370, i guess they are clearing them out. maybe i'll pick this up, if i find out it doesn't suck, that is.