China's Smartisan says Apple has 'lost its soul' in pitch for new smartphone

Posted:
in iPhone
Known for treating product launches as variety shows, even selling tickets to such events, Chinese device maker Smartisan cast doubt on Apple's prospects in recently announcing its new R1 smartphone in front of a crowd of about 37,000 people.

Smartisan's Luo Yonghao

The goal is to "make Smartisan a great company like in the [Apple] era of [Steve] Jobs," founder Luo Yonghao said at the May 15 event, which occupied the 80,000-seat National Stadium in Beijing, according to the South China Morning Post. Luo argued that Apple has "lost its soul" since Jobs' death in 2011, in turn resulting in the decline of its designs and performance.

He further claimed that Apple would copy Smartisan "like crazy" after the launch of the Android-based R1, which has up to 1 terabyte of storage. Available alongside it is the TNT Station, a 27-inch 4K display which the R1 docks with to make it an Android-based desktop.

Many smartphone makers -- Chinese or otherwise -- often target Apple's iPhone in their marketing and designs, but it's relatively uncommon for them to simultaneously praise and damn the company, much less in front an audience of tens of thousands.

The most prominent company to chase Apple is typically Korean multinational Samsung. The two companies regularly leapfrog each other in features, but the latter is known for ads directly referring to Apple. One recent spot depicts a woman becoming frustrated with her throttled iPhone 6, visiting an Apple store, and eventually buying a Samsung Galaxy S9 instead.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    What a clueless clown. 
    racerhomie3Assh01eSmartisanronnclaire1lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 58
    The idea of leveraging a phone's CPU, memory, and connectivity to make a plug-in workstation is very appealing. People keep trying to make it work (https://www.engadget.com/motorola/atrix-4g-review/; https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-dex-pad-galaxy-s9-touchpad-pc-mwc-2018-b2b/) but don't seem to get it right (I haven't actually tried any of the past experiments). Which is all a long of way of saying Apple would have the best chance of getting this to work given their software/hardware integration. MacMini on an iPhone!
    h2pfastasleepvukasikabonobobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Why do people give these used-car salesmen any legitimacy?  I lost count of how many Chinese iKnockoff CEO's make similar, grand statements about how Apple is a has-been, only to have gone bankrupt, or the CEO "disappears", or their grand plans fizzed-out and are barely making a living.

This gets really old.  I'd love it for someone to go back to these ass-clowns after they burn and call-them out for their bold claims. 
    edited May 2018 magman1979radarthekatracerhomie3ronnclaire1SydNlolliverwatto_cobrastevenoz
  • Reply 4 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Interesting but talking the talk and walking the walk are two very different things. Apple has been walking the walk for forty years now.
    edited May 2018 macxpressronnclaire1lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The idea of leveraging a phone's CPU, memory, and connectivity to make a plug-in workstation is very appealing. People keep trying to make it work (https://www.engadget.com/motorola/atrix-4g-review/; https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-dex-pad-galaxy-s9-touchpad-pc-mwc-2018-b2b/) but don't seem to get it right (I haven't actually tried any of the past experiments). Which is all a long of way of saying Apple would have the best chance of getting this to work given their software/hardware integration. MacMini on an iPhone!
    Once ARM-based Macs hit the market I expect it to be pushed by tech websites which will become a rumour which will get pushed by tech websites.

That said—and even though Apple already includes two UIs in every iPhone (CocoaTouch and CarPlay)—I don't see auto-switching between iOS and macOS UIs when docked on the horizon. I don't even see Apple using the same silicon for the iOS devices for their ARM-based Macs.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 58
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Who are these crowd of about 37,000 people? Are they street people invited to get a free lunch? lol
    magman1979racerhomie3LPMacTechguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 58
    tomasulutomasulu Posts: 55member
    I’m a huge fan of Apple. I’ve pretty much all of their products from watches to desktops and everything in between. But I also agreed that Apple is in a general state of decline in terms of their ability to innovate and to think big. I see companies like Tesla, Google and even Amazon leading the way and going out of their comfort zone. Apple seems to be stuck in trying to do thing so perfectly and with craftsmanship that they’re not trying hard enough. Yeah having a biometric authentication method that’s 2 years ahead of your competitor is wonderful. But it’s not denting the universe. I don’t see anything from Apple that is going to fundamentally changed our lives. Like how it was when Steve disrupted so many industries. Even the secretive Apple car is simply a me-too trying to catch up to Google and tesla.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 8 of 58
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Smartisan knows NOTHING about Apple's soul. How DARE he!
    LPMacTechguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 58
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    tomasulu said:
    I’m a huge fan of Apple. I’ve pretty much all of their products from watches to desktops and everything in between. But I also agreed that Apple is in a general state of decline in terms of their ability to innovate and to think big. I see companies like Tesla, Google and even Amazon leading the way and going out of their comfort zone. Apple seems to be stuck in trying to do thing so perfectly and with craftsmanship that they’re not trying hard enough. Yeah having a biometric authentication method that’s 2 years ahead of your competitor is wonderful. But it’s not denting the universe. I don’t see anything from Apple that is going to fundamentally changed our lives. Like how it was when Steve disrupted so many industries. Even the secretive Apple car is simply a me-too trying to catch up to Google and tesla.
    Apple is sorely missing a visionary. 
    They have the numbers guy, the have some designers and capable engineers, they have a good marketing team. 
    They are missing the visionary. 

Tim needs to move to CFO and get a young visionary at the head of the Apple - before they deplete the iOS device innovation revolution that Steve set up for them. 
    Get rid of Ives. I used to like his work, but his time has passed. 
    JaiOh81
  • Reply 10 of 58
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Luo, 

I'm sorry but Motorola Atrix Android phone had the ability dock and drive a large monitor and Bluetooth keyboard, guess what, it did not sell all that well.

I do not think Apple is going to copy your stupid idea.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QglG0oylcQk#

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=no6Lcm7VpJA#
    edited May 2018 ronnclaire1lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Delusional 
    ronnclaire1racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 58
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    bitmod said:
    tomasulu said:
    They have the numbers guy, the have some designers and capable engineers, they have a good marketing team. 

Tim needs to move to CFO and get a young visionary at the head of the Apple - before they deplete the iOS device innovation revolution that Steve set up for them. 
    Why just one? Why CEO? Why not lots of them? Why not at all levels of the company? Wait don't they already have that?

If they want to show vision they need "Niche" products that only sell in the sorts of numbers that cutting edge can cope with delivering. Even the iPhoneX failed to have the poor demand that would allow it to push in to visionary territory.

It's a damn curse being popular just doesn't give them space to probe the edges.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 58
    tomasulu said:
    What do you see coming out of “Tesla, Google and even Amazon” that is going to “fundamentally changed (sic) our lives”?
    mattinozlamboaudi4ronnclaire1lolliver[Deleted User]Bluntracerhomie3lkruppmike1
  • Reply 14 of 58
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    bitmod said:
    tomasulu said:

They still do make visionary products - for example that product that can do space awareness intelligently. And what happened? It doesn't even make into top 5 in the market.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    LOL! Who are these idiots?
    ronnracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 58
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    When did these Chinese who long been stealing,copying,etc Apple's and others innovation now telling Apple had lost soul or Chinese never had soul to begin with.
    macseekerronnclaire1racerhomie3SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Assh01eSmartisanAssh01eSmartisan Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    There is a word on China's Weibo called Chuislims(锤斯林), which describes the extreme fans of Luo Yonghao,.And I think Luo Yonghao is so arrogant and he can never succeed, let alone reach the realm of jobs, he is just a joke. Send a sentence of Chinese to Luo Yonghao "老罗,你成不了"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Assh01eSmartisanAssh01eSmartisan Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Blunt said:
    What a clueless clown. 
    I think so :D
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 58
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I’m a huge fan of Apple...

(wait for it...)

(wait for it...)

but, <insert hot take>
    claire1Bluntracerhomie3lkruppkiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 58
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    tomasulu said:
    You do realise you just rubbished your own argument, right?

"Apple is in a general state of decline in terms of their ability to innovate"... "Yeah having a biometric authentication method that’s 2 years ahead of your competitor is wonderful."

So:
    - Face ID, which no competitor has managed to match.
    - A-series processors, created in-house, and beating every other smartphone chip out there.
    - First with 64-bit processors in a phone.
    - The latest version of iOS is supported on devices four, maybe five years old. Where's the competition?
    - iPad beating every other tablet out there in both hardware and software.
    - Apple Watch beating all other smartwatches.
    - HomePod has the best speaker array in a "smart speaker" (Siri is software, and will be improved).
    - macOS is still much easier and better to use than Windows and Linux.
    - Handoff, Continuity...

These are innovations.
    mattinozclaire1Bluntracerhomie3lkruppwatto_cobra