The concept of “forced acceptance” under new GDPR rules.

Posted:
in General Discussion
Articles are starting to make the rounds about complaints being filed against Google, Facebook, and Instagram under the EU’s new GDPR policies. Seems Google and Facebook are presenting users with two stark choices, either accept their new privacy terms or be blocked from using the service. This is being called “forced acceptance” and the activists are predicting huge fines if these choices are not altered. So I guess they want to be able to use Facebook or Instagram without letting their data being collected at all. We all know that customer data is the lifeblood of these companies so it’s no surprise they would balk at the prospect of having users that don’t provide them with anything for all their “free” services. But as far as my experience goes having to accept terms of use before being allowed to create an account has been common on most sites for a s long as I can remember. Most people just click through to get onboard without reading what they are agreeing to.

So it will be interesting to see hows this goes down. It could be very damaging to these services if more and more people choose not to allow their data to be collected.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Every Google account holder has the option of disabling targeted advertising, resetting identifiers, even using their search services "incognito". They can review, correct , limit and completely delete or disable individual components. In fact Google has been lauded for the efforts they've put into ensuring they fully comply with these new data rules, not just in the EU where they are legally required to but worldwide. 

I mentioned in another thread that the GDPR document is HUGE, 57,000 words and 177 pages long. There are going to be unclear requirements and terms buried within and avoiding claims from  a determined party, especially if for monetary reasons, is going to be really tough at least in the beginning until the rules are firmed up and more clearly defined. Allowing for all the elements in a TOS to be considered individually, unbundled as desired, and/or opted out of, yet still use the service is one of those that will give internet providers, cellular companies, search providers, game developers, enterprise service companies, online blogs and web services, content streamers, et al fits if allowed to stand.

Even Apple's TOS are all or nothing. If you don't want to accept them don't use their services. Same with Google or Facebook or Adobe or Dropbox or iTunes or... 
    No one is FORCED to use those services. Example: How often is DDG or Bing promoted as "just as good" as Google Search and thus a very viable alternative? 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lkrupp said:
    if more and more people choose not to allow their data to be collected.
    Though I went toe to toe with a shill about this very matter yesterday, it’s clear that people don’t give a fuck. Both Orwell and Huxley were right. You use Orwell for the first generation and a half to brainwash a people, and then Huxley takes over after they start to willingly brainwash each other. People don’t care. They’re not going to fight back. There won’t be any collapse of this shit until people start openly warring in the streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3qkf3bajd4
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    lkrupp said:
    if more and more people choose not to allow their data to be collected.
    Though I went toe to toe with a shill about this very matter yesterday, it’s clear that people don’t give a fuck. Both Orwell and Huxley were right. You use Orwell for the first generation and a half to brainwash a people, and then Huxley takes over after they start to willingly brainwash each other. People don’t care. They’re not going to fight back. There won’t be any collapse of this shit until people start openly warring in the streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3qkf3bajd4
    Well, you’re probably right. The types that post in forums like this one are always yammering about privacy and using VPNs and berating the common man for being stupid. They probably just click through those usage terms requirements like anyone else. I know I do. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    And as I fully expected now add Apple to the list with a complaint against them too breaking this new law