Apple TV gets Dolby Atmos support, 'zero sign-on' for cable with tvOS 12

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2020
Apple at WWDC 2018 teased a series of planned upgrades to tvOS, the Apple TV operating system, including Dolby Atmos compatibility.

tvOS 12 on Apple TV 4K

Coming this fall, the tvOS 12 update will deliver long-delayed Dolby Atmos surround sound, which can locate sounds in 3D space instead of just relying on discrete channels. A number of movies on iTunes will be upgraded with support, and people who already own those titles will get the altered versions automatically.

Several TV services will be using the Apple TV as a cable box replacement, including Charter Spectrum in the U.S. starting later this year. The company has already partnered with Canal+ in France, and Salt. in Switzerland.

A related concept is "zero sign-on," which will detect a provider's network and automatically sign users into channel apps. Charter Spectrum will be the first company on board.

Home control system makers Crestron, Savant, and Control4 will link their remotes to the Apple TV, including support for Siri.

One minor addition is that when looking at Aerial screensavers, users will be able to switch between locations with a swipe, and bring up location information with a tap. A new Aerial, "Earth," was filmed aboard the International Space Station and should be available later on Monday.

Earth Aerial for Apple TV

Apple will also enable cross-device AutoFill, bringing over passwords from iPhone and iPad apps, and add the Apple TV Remote app to Control Center automatically. At the moment it's an optional download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Now that Apple TV will support Dolby Atmos, does that mean it will support Dolby TrueHD? Or is that a separate thing?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 28
    macwhizmacwhiz Posts: 18member
    It's unlikely it will support Dolby TrueHD; the bitrate is just too high for most users. Dolby Atmos works as a layer on top of Dolby TrueHD, Dolby AC-4, or Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3). Since DD+ is already used by services like Netflix, I'd suspect Apple will use DD+ as the bed for Atmos, but it's possible they might use the more-efficient AC-4.
    d_2zoetmbwilliamlondonavon b7jony0
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Who has f*ckin Charter man. Pay Comcast’s price - the Apple TV is nothing until it uses actual cable piped into 50% of Americans  homes. 

They never mention the numbers Streamed cable is doing or the rate or drop off of the cord cutters who return to cable. You know why ? Because they’re tanking. On Quality - they’re all abysmal. On the Guide - Americans want the scroll back. On remembering my sign in - fail. On cost ? On the final cost of for cutting - when u add Netflix and Hulu and Prime and an app based attenna  (channels) that receives OTA local cable ? 

Well over over a month of cable with a set top box u rent not buy. 

Its all bullshit. Also where’s the content? Not for nothing if Disney can pump out 4 Star Wars movies in 3 years but the most profitable company in the world can’t produce a single hit show 3 years in let alone just buy one... something is seriously wrong.

It’s just not this hard. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Wow a screen saver. They don’t get it. They will never succeed in the content creation space making g rated shows that exist in thier marketing not in reality. 

Great you booked the Amazing Stories reboot. Where is it? 

Yea ! You booked a DR DRE rap drama - where is it? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 28
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Wow a screen saver. They don’t get it. They will never succeed in the content creation space making g rated shows that exist in thier marketing not in reality. 

Do you seriously expect Apple to release Amazing Stories months after it was announced they picked it up? You do realize scripts need to be written, show filmed, editing, etc. Takes a lot more than just several months to release a TV show. 
    StrangeDaysfastasleepwilliamlondonclaire1jony0
  • Reply 6 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Who has f*ckin Charter man. Pay Comcast’s price - the Apple TV is nothing until it uses actual cable piped into 50% of Americans  homes. 

They never mention the numbers Streamed cable is doing or the rate or drop off of the cord cutters who return to cable. You know why ? Because they’re tanking. On Quality - they’re all abysmal. On the Guide - Americans want the scroll back. On remembering my sign in - fail. On cost ? On the final cost of for cutting - when u add Netflix and Hulu and Prime and an app based attenna  (channels) that receives OTA local cable ? 

Well over over a month of cable with a set top box u rent not buy. 

Its all bullshit. Also where’s the content? Not for nothing if Disney can pump out 4 Star Wars movies in 3 years but the most profitable company in the world can’t produce a single hit show 3 years in let alone just buy one... something is seriously wrong.

It’s just not this hard. 

...seriously, you've having a pooping fit in every thread. 

Anyway -- nonsense. I cut cable in 1999, paying only for internet service and buying the few shows off iTunes I wanted. Later I added Netflix, and Prime I already had for shipping so I don't count it. I have saved a vast amount of money. Your claim that I'm paying the same as a $150+/mo cable bill is absurd. Most TV is garbage and I have no need for the all-you-can-eat buffet. 
    fastasleepboltsfan17williamlondonSpamSandwichbrucemcjony0watto_cobrabshankAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

Do you seriously expect Apple to release Amazing Stories months after it was announced they picked it up? You do realize scripts need to be written, show filmed, editing, etc. Takes a lot more than just several months to release a TV show. 
    Not to young millenials, apparently. He is expecting instant gratification in all things, and until then will be stomping his feet and pouting.
    boltsfan17watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 28
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member

Don't agree with the rest of your post, but yeah, the launch partners are a little underwhelming. Here in Switzerland I don't know anyone with Salt. I guess the bit players were willing to strike a deal quick to get some free product placement for the launch announcement, but I have to imagine that Apple actually wants to sell a product and will include the major cable players when it actually gets to consumers.

claire1Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 28
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    ANd I am thinking that Atmos via a complement of slightly tweaked Homepods could be a very interesting scenario.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I want to know about Apple TV search integration with third party apps’ content. Apple said last year they’d roll it out (or it would be rolled out, which may mean “the apps have to do the work to support it) for other apps. I’d love to be able to help as many people as I can cut cables, but it’s one thing to cut a cable; it’s another thing entirely to be able to FIND the content people want across the dozens of disparate hosting services, both free and paid.

PlutoTV, for example. That’s free (with ads) and seems to have an array of content. But is it easy to GET to the content on an Apple TV? Can I use Siri search to ask for movies and have ANY movie app show up now? Or ask for sports and have ESPN and NFL and (etc.)... show up side by side? That’s why I also like the idea of the “TV” app in iOS, as an aggregate for all the apps’ services for which you may pay. But it has to be seamless for people. It has to be at least as easy to SEARCH as it is to be programmed by cable/satellite.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 11 of 28
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    jdgaz said:
    ANd I am thinking that Atmos via a complement of slightly tweaked Homepods could be a very interesting scenario.
    Nope! Not in the HomePod current hardware form. 
  • Reply 12 of 28
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    I'd really like an AppleTV with a coax cable on the back, and a tuner inside. And that's not ever going to happen.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    macwhiz said:
    It's unlikely it will support Dolby TrueHD; the bitrate is just too high for most users. Dolby Atmos works as a layer on top of Dolby TrueHD, Dolby AC-4, or Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3). Since DD+ is already used by services like Netflix, I'd suspect Apple will use DD+ as the bed for Atmos, but it's possible they might use the more-efficient AC-4.
    The third party app Infuse accepts TrueHD and DTS MA HD 7.1 bitstreams, but converts them to PCM for output (this is for locally stored content)

I hope Infuse can leverage this for the full Atmos experience from one’s one library, though the devil is in the details...
    claire1
  • Reply 14 of 28
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

are you on drugs?...just asking because all of your posts are incoherent. 

Charter Spectrum is the 2nd largest cable provider in the US.  Who has Charter?.... many.  
    welshdogclaire1brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    eightzero said:
    I'd really like an AppleTV with a coax cable on the back, and a tuner inside. And that's not ever going to happen.
    You can add streaming tuners to your Apple TV via network at any time. Why do you need it to be built-in? What about the tuner built into your TV? Why does it need to be inside the Apple TV?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 28
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    drewys808 said:

Charter Spectrum is the 2nd largest cable provider in the US.  Who has Charter?.... many.  
    My dad had Charter(Time Warner Cable) and it was a lot cheaper than my Comcast.  If Trump shot the CEO of Comcast I would pardon him.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

jdgaz said:
    I would like to be able to use a HomePod to control Apple TV and my TV via Siri without ever touching the remote.   3.1 , 5.1, or 7.1 Home Thearer would be great.   Probably can’t get the. Whole Atmos experience with HomePods because they fire downward and reflect the sound of the table it’s on-not down from the ceiling.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    drewys808 said:

Spectrum is the only cable company in Austin where I live, and is in a large number of big cities across the country. Major, major player. We cut the cable last year and went to Google Fiber for Internet and streaming of various services like Netflix, Prime etc. Plus my Dad has Dish and we use his login to get all sort of cable channels via their apps on Tivo or Xbox One. Works perfectly.  Oh and the Tivos record OTA to fill out our lineup. Sometime my Mac Mini streams things we can't get elsewhere. No Apple TV yet.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 19 of 28
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Not even a mention of HomePod.....

tvOS updates disappoint every time.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    thewbthewb Posts: 80member
    Zero sign-in?

Yet another great feature that few people will be able to use because the gatekeeper that is their local cable monopoly won't support it, just like single sign-in.