Airplay 2 functionality on macOS?

Posted:
in Genius Bar
I running macOS 10.13.5 on my 2015 27" iMac.  With the release of Airplay 2, I just purchased a pair of Homepods for use as stereo speakers for my iMac.  I used my iPhone X's Home app to update that HomePod s/w and to pair them as stereo speakers.  They sound awesome!  However, I'm unable to use them as stereo paired speakers on my iMac, despite running the latest macOS version.  It appears that macOS doesn't yet support  Airplay 2.  Is that correct?  Seems like a huge oversight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Sort of. iTunes can output to multiple airplay devices, but general sound output, not so much. If you can pair two bluetooth audio devices, you may be able to use the Midi setup app to create an "Aggregate" device.

Also, look at AirParrot 2. It may just be able to pull this off, they offer free trials and the price is $13 if it works.  
  • Reply 2 of 4
    The Mac does not officially support AirPlay 2 . But you do get AirPlay 2 functionality fro m iTunes on Mac or PC.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sphericspheric Posts: 1,557member
    No, you do not. 

AirPlay 2 includes the ability to turn two HomePods into stereo speakers.
    iTunes supports sending to several target devices, but not stereo-pairing them. 
  • Reply 4 of 4
    spheric said:
    No, you do not. 

AirPlay 2 includes the ability to turn two HomePods into stereo speakers.
    iTunes supports sending to several target devices, but not stereo-pairing them. 
    Yes ,you are correct.