All of the future TV shows that Apple has in development

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 6,032member

So content can’t be good unless it has sex, violence and foul language in it?

That's not the case... good content absolutely IS possible but what you won't get is a diversity of content, especially complex, realistic and/or hard hitting drama. Language is incredibly important in expressing emotion and that includes so called 'foul' language (it's not foul, it's simply language).
    So Breaking Bad, a network cable show, wasn’t complex or hard hitting drama? No nudity nor language. Just good drama. 

Legion, my current favorite, also network cable with the same content restrictions. 

Twin Peaks, etc etc... there are dozens of examples of good network drama. 
    edited June 20
  • Reply 42 of 87

That's not the case... good content absolutely IS possible but what you won't get is a diversity of content, especially complex, realistic and/or hard hitting drama. Language is incredibly important in expressing emotion and that includes so called 'foul' language (it's not foul, it's simply language).
    So Breaking Bad, a network cable show, wasn’t complex or hard hitting drama? No nudity nor language. Just good drama. 

Legion, my current favorite, also network cable with the same content restrictions. 

Breaking Bad had swearing, extensive drug use including overdosing, bodies being dissolved in acid and someone's face being blown off to reveal the skull underneath. Can't see ANY of that flying with Apple, can you?

Like I say it's possible but truly isn't preferable, just my opinion! :) 
    trashman69
  • Reply 43 of 87
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,403member

Breaking Bad had swearing, extensive drug use including overdosing, bodies being dissolved in acid and someone's face being blown off to reveal the skull underneath. Can't see ANY of that flying with Apple, can you?

Like I say it's possible but truly isn't preferable, just my opinion! :) 
    Lots of murder, too. DIdn't Jesse Plemons, aka Meth Damon, also kill a kid on a bike for simply witnessing something? I don't see Apple going down that route with their current setup.

None of that means Apple can't produce great shows, but I would argue that it can make it less appealing when there's so much extra effort put into censoring yourself that could go into better writing.
    edited June 20 LittleChiefCreative
  • Reply 44 of 87
    irelandireland Posts: 17,471member
    A couple of ideas with potential there. I think they’d be getting better bang for their buck by doing something really different from their competition... and if I knew what that was, I’d spell it out. Maybe have at least one show that works cooperatively with an AR app?
    What they need to do, if they are able, is produce only good quality shows. To do this you don't not take risks, you hire the best talent you can find and let them do their thing. No need for 3D, no need for AR. Just good quality media.
    edited July 11 elijahg
  • Reply 45 of 87
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 4,456member

It might strike some people as odd, but I find that most of the women I know don’t like watching women being sexually abused on screen. And I think if there was a lot more films showing men being sexually abused (by other men, not women), you’d see a lot more men complaining. 

A few weeks ago, I watched Cargo. It’s a zombie movie with hardly a zombie in sight. Certainly not the usual yawn-worthy slash fest. It’s about an infected man travelling through the outback looking for someone to take care of his baby daughter before he turns. 

The best zombie movie I have ever seen.

Oh, and I just saw Carpool Karaoke with Sir Paul McCartney … the best interview of any musician I have ever seen. It was twenty minutes of pure magic. 

I’m not sure that Apple has officially said that they won’t make tv with sex, graphic violence or foul language (after all, they sell enough movies and songs with plenty), but I am glad that they’re going to stretch their writers by not relying on stuff that folk will rapidly become desensitised to. 
    pscooter63mknelson
  • Reply 46 of 87
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 263member
    pujones1 said:
    Honey where’s the anime? The sci-fi is my only interest here so far. They have to at least spend 9 billion like Netflix. 
    Anime? So much Japanese Angst!

"Why am I doing this, what does it all mean, argggh!" While the villain just stands around, presumably listening to the hero monologuing.  :D

I saw Time Bandits when it was in theatres for the original run and then again more recently when I purchased it on iTunes. I had forgotten (or not noticed) that the debris in the final battle is all giant Lego bricks and other toys. That could be a fun show!
  • Reply 47 of 87
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 235member
    What is the prior track record of the Apple series lineup? 
    - Time Bandits, children’s programs like Sesame Street, immigrant stories from the writers of “The Big Sick”, a murder drama involving a girl reporter, Isaac Asimov's “Foundation”, a Ronald D. Moore space drama (who helped produce “Battlestar Galactica” & “Deep Space 9”) and a reboot of “Amazing Stories”.

None of these properties had exposed breasts/penises or rivers of blood and they still worked imo.   

• Reply 48 of 87
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 257member

minus the dumb Karaoke
    You mean the show that gets millions and millions of views?  There's a reason it was renewed for a second season.
    Soli
  • Reply 49 of 87
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 257member

I agree that sanitising the content will limit appeal and growth in comparison to heavyweights such as HBO and Netflix. Disney are in a very different position having built a catalogue of children focused content for many decades!

Diverse and mature content will simply not be viable when limiting creative expression.
    You said it well.  Without lots of extreme violence and graphic sex, who'd want to watch?  Apple will undoubtedly pay a heavy price by limiting the director's creativity in showing the dismembering of bodies. 

• Reply 50 of 87
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    designr said:
    So is this a new phase of Apple becoming the "American Sony" (as Steve Jobs once famously suggested as his model) including the Sony Entertainment wing of the company?

Steve Jobs on the topic of television:

"A lot of times we think why is television programming so bad? Why are television shows so demeaning, so poor? 

The first thought that occurs to you is, well, there’s a conspiracy. It’s the networks that are controlling this and they are feeding this to us to dumb down the American public. 

The truth is that the networks absolutely want to give the people what they want so they watch the shows. If people wanted something different they’d get it. The truth is the majority of people in this country want to turn on the television and switch off their brain. And that’s what they get. 

And that’s far more depressing than a conspiracy."
    eightzeroiqatedo
  • Reply 51 of 87
    designrdesignr Posts: 368member
    ascii said:
    designr said:
    So is this a new phase of Apple becoming the "American Sony" (as Steve Jobs once famously suggested as his model) including the Sony Entertainment wing of the company?

"A lot of times we think why is television programming so bad? Why are television shows so demeaning, so poor? 

The first thought that occurs to you is, well, there’s a conspiracy. It’s the networks that are controlling this and they are feeding this to us to dumb down the American public. 

The truth is that the networks absolutely want to give the people what they want so they watch the shows. If people wanted something different they’d get it. The truth is the majority of people in this country want to turn on the television and switch off their brain. And that’s what they get. 

Who said anything about a conspiracy? I was simply referring to Steve's reference to Sony as his model for Apple and becoming the "American Sony" and how Sony got into content (even by the time Steve had made that comment). I wasn't making any judgment, good or bad, about it. Just asking out loud.

If anyone veered into conspiracy territory here it's you ("It’s the networks that are controlling this and they are feeding this to us to dumb down the American public.")

Chill out.

edited July 29
  • Reply 52 of 87
    designr said:
    ascii said:
    designr said:

Who said anything about a conspiracy? I was simply referring to Steve's reference to Sony as his model for Apple and becoming the "American Sony" and how Sony got into content (even by the time Steve had made that comment). I wasn't making any judgment, good or bad, about it. Just asking out loud.

If anyone veered into conspiracy territory here it's you ("It’s the networks that are controlling this and they are feeding this to us to dumb down the American public.")

Chill out.

The whole thing I posted was Steve Jobs, I don't think there's a conspiracy.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    designrdesignr Posts: 368member
    ascii said:
    designr said:
    ascii said:
    designr said:

Chill out.

I apologize. I misread where the quote started and ended and did not realize the whole thing was a quote. Please accept my apology.

For future reference, there is a quote format that helps this:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Again, sorry for misreading your post and your reply to me.

• Reply 54 of 87
    designr said:
    ascii said:
    designr said:
    ascii said:
    designr said:

Chill out.

I apologize. I misread where the quote started and ended and did not realize the whole thing was a quote. Please accept my apology.

For future reference, there is a quote format that helps this:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Again, sorry for misreading your post and your reply to me.

No worries, I will use the quote feature in future.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,403member
    I find the Designr-Ascii quote discussion is interesting.

On the one hand, Ascii did start off his comment referencing Jobs and ending that first paragraph with a colon before starting the paragraph with a quotation mark and ending the last paragraph with a quotation mark.

On the other hand, this is forum where content is read quickly so it's easy to miss, and since there is markup specifically for quoting content, it's not unreasonable to assume that one would use it.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of using the quote feature for non-forum member comments. It's looks very similar and can also be read as if coming from another poster. I've certainly seen people reply with "I didn't say that," especially when quoted replies are broken up into sections and only the first one has the forum member's name applied. I think the previous forum software had an option for an alternate quoting option, or at least an indent option that made it look more like the MLA format for quoting, which would've not needing the quotation marks and likely prevented any miscommunication.

PS: For the first time I understand the muti-paragraph quoting rule, which I've always found odd due to it's unbalanced feel.

edit: 

According to one website, the recommended style is the p tag (paragraph), but that doesn't work with this system:
    <p style="margin-left: 40px">This text is indented.</p>
    However, the blockquote tag does work:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
    –or–
    A lot of times we think why is television programming so bad? Why are television shows so demeaning, so poor? 

And that’s far more depressing than a conspiracy.

I'll have to keep that in mind.
    edited July 30 asciiiqatedo
  • Reply 56 of 87
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 1,903member
    So it's really more Apple Sanitized shows. Shows you could see on Broadcast TV. I don't think Apple is really serious in this area. 1 BIllion? It's like pocket change for Apple. Netflix was suppose to spend 7-8 Billion in 2018, and it looks like the real number is in the 12-13 billion. Netflix is spending billions every year on Original Content and Apple??? Put of the ones listed. I may be interested in a couple of them. I refuse to pay CBS price for their content, you think I would Apple's?
    elijahg
  • Reply 57 of 87
    grifmxgrifmx Posts: 73member
    there is nothing new under the sun
  • Reply 58 of 87
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,522member
    jbdragon said:
    So it's really more Apple Sanitized shows. Shows you could see on Broadcast TV. I don't think Apple is really serious in this area. 1 BIllion? It's like pocket change for Apple. Netflix was suppose to spend 7-8 Billion in 2018, and it looks like the real number is in the 12-13 billion. Netflix is spending billions every year on Original Content and Apple??? Put of the ones listed. I may be interested in a couple of them. I refuse to pay CBS price for their content, you think I would Apple's?
    That’s fine as long as you realize Apple doesn’t give a crap about your desire for non-sanitized shows. They don’t give a crap about techie types castigating them for not having the latest specs. Apple is going to do what it thinks is best for itself and its loyal customers and if that means you will not watch it then so be it. They will succeed without you. If Apple had a nickel for every critic who told them they were wrong and no one would buy their stuff they’d worth $2 Trillion instead of only $1 Trillion.

I  don’t know how I missed it but I just discovered a website http://www.applemust.com where the headline reads “What people say Apple must do and what it does.” Good reading actually.

edited August 7 elijahg
  • Reply 59 of 87
    anomeanome Posts: 1,174member
    mknelson said:
    pujones1 said:
    Honey where’s the anime? The sci-fi is my only interest here so far. They have to at least spend 9 billion like Netflix. 
    Anime? So much Japanese Angst!

"Why am I doing this, what does it all mean, argggh!" While the villain just stands around, presumably listening to the hero monologuing.  :D

I saw Time Bandits when it was in theatres for the original run and then again more recently when I purchased it on iTunes. I had forgotten (or not noticed) that the debris in the final battle is all giant Lego bricks and other toys. That could be a fun show!

It's not really fair to judge an entire genre on the basis of Neon Genesis: Evangelion]. ("Shut up and get in the giant robot, Shinji!") There are plenty of anime about other things. Like Japanese schoolgirls fighting monsters. Or Japanese schoolgirls fighting their own uniforms. (I saw the first couple of episodes of Kill La Kill, and then something around episode 13. Bit of a disconnect there.) Or the Covert/Wet operations of the British Library. Or weird twists on The Journey to the West.

I know I'm doing a great disservice to an entire culture, here (ie Anime, as opposed to Japan in general, which is even more diverse, obviously), but Angsty Hero pondering his own worth, while a distinct sub-genre of anime, does not represent the whole thing.

As for Time Bandits, I am kind of excited for this, but I also kind of hope neither Sean Connery or Terry Gilliam are involved directly with it. (I know Gilliam gets an EP credit, but what about Michael Palin who co-wrote the original?) Don't get me wrong, Gilliam is one of my favourite directors to have tried to justify Harvey Weinstein's abominable behaviour, but I think he needs a time out. Connery isn't nearly as healthy as he was 37 years ago, and trotting him out for even a cameo would be awkward.

[EDIT]Fixed formatting - forgot which platform I was on there.

edited August 7
  • Reply 60 of 87
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 132member
    Lots of people and companies have come into Hollywood (the industry- not the place) thinking they were going to upend the place and left with their tails (and tales) between their legs. Ask Coca-Cola about owning Columbia, Joe Kennedy & Howard Hughes once owned studios- not anymore. Larry Tisch took a turn with CBS as did Westinghouse. Even Rupert Murdoch is walking away from Fox Studios to concentrate on sports and disinformation masquerading as news. After a lifetime of struggle, his empire is too small to stand alone in the new paradigm.

For all the bluster, Netflix has yet to make one thin dime of profit. Think about that and let it sink in. In 2018 Netflix has budgeted almost $8 Billion for content and is not going to turn a profit. Amazon is reported to have budgeted about $5 Billion and Prime Video is a loss leader. HBO just got significantly deeper pockets with the AT&T purchase of Time-Warner. Disney just went long buy purchasing most of the entertainment assets of Rupert Murdoch's Fox studios.

What it looks like from the cheap seats is a bunch of players willing to spend a lot of money and not expecting profit anytime soon. That means a newbie like Apple stands little chance to profitably make content and will be in direct competition with many of the studios they will be relying upon to produce Apple branded content. I am not seeing a way where Apple will be making any money on this and could waste a whole lot chasing a business they have no experience in. As a shareholder and long time customer, I think they could be doing better things with the money and resources.