Here are all of the future TV shows that Apple has signed deals for

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 4,915member

So content can’t be good unless it has sex, violence and foul language in it?

That's not the case... good content absolutely IS possible but what you won't get is a diversity of content, especially complex, realistic and/or hard hitting drama. Language is incredibly important in expressing emotion and that includes so called 'foul' language (it's not foul, it's simply language).
    So Breaking Bad, a network cable show, wasn’t complex or hard hitting drama? No nudity nor language. Just good drama. 

Legion, my current favorite, also network cable with the same content restrictions. 

Twin Peaks, etc etc... there are dozens of examples of good network drama. 
    edited June 20
  • Reply 42 of 46

That's not the case... good content absolutely IS possible but what you won't get is a diversity of content, especially complex, realistic and/or hard hitting drama. Language is incredibly important in expressing emotion and that includes so called 'foul' language (it's not foul, it's simply language).
    So Breaking Bad, a network cable show, wasn’t complex or hard hitting drama? No nudity nor language. Just good drama. 

Legion, my current favorite, also network cable with the same content restrictions. 

Breaking Bad had swearing, extensive drug use including overdosing, bodies being dissolved in acid and someone's face being blown off to reveal the skull underneath. Can't see ANY of that flying with Apple, can you?

Like I say it's possible but truly isn't preferable, just my opinion! :) 
  • Reply 43 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 7,656member

Breaking Bad had swearing, extensive drug use including overdosing, bodies being dissolved in acid and someone's face being blown off to reveal the skull underneath. Can't see ANY of that flying with Apple, can you?

Like I say it's possible but truly isn't preferable, just my opinion! :) 
    Lots of murder, too. DIdn't Jesse Plemons, aka Meth Damon, also kill a kid on a bike for simply witnessing something? I don't see Apple going down that route with their current setup.

None of that means Apple can't produce great shows, but I would argue that it can make it less appealing when there's so much extra effort put into censoring yourself that could go into better writing.
    edited June 20 LittleChiefCreative
  • Reply 44 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,208member
    A couple of ideas with potential there. I think they’d be getting better bang for their buck by doing something really different from their competition... and if I knew what that was, I’d spell it out. Maybe have at least one show that works cooperatively with an AR app?
    What they need to do, if they are able, is produce only good quality shows. To do this you don't not take risks, you hire the best talent you can find and let them do their thing. No need for 3D, no need for AR. Just good quality media.
    edited July 11
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 3,779member

It might strike some people as odd, but I find that most of the women I know don’t like watching women being sexually abused on screen. And I think if there was a lot more films showing men being sexually abused (by other men, not women), you’d see a lot more men complaining. 

A few weeks ago, I watched Cargo. It’s a zombie movie with hardly a zombie in sight. Certainly not the usual yawn-worthy slash fest. It’s about an infected man travelling through the outback looking for someone to take care of his baby daughter before he turns. 

The best zombie movie I have ever seen.

Oh, and I just saw Carpool Karaoke with Sir Paul McCartney … the best interview of any musician I have ever seen. It was twenty minutes of pure magic. 

I’m not sure that Apple has officially said that they won’t make tv with sex, graphic violence or foul language (after all, they sell enough movies and songs with plenty), but I am glad that they’re going to stretch their writers by not relying on stuff that folk will rapidly become desensitised to. 
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Rico31362Rico31362 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Check your calendar app, appleinsider. It’s already 2018.