90+ new changes & features in macOS Mojave

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    About a decade ago, there was a nifty little free app called "DVD43" (DVD For Free) on Windows that would invalidate any region protection on a DVD and allow you to play/ extract the contents, without having to change the region settings on the DVD drive (which you could only do 5 times).  I wonder if there was/ is a Mac equivalent of the same.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    MacPro said:
    Found another Finder change.

New Folder with "name of folder" above Open in New Tab/Window

This is driving me nuts as my muscle memory selects it 100 times a day in error when I want 'open in new Tab'.  I wish I could relocate this on menu!  Where is FedIt when you need it? /sigh ;)
    I use 'open in new tab' a lot as well, but I command-doubleclick the folder, that opens it in a new tab without having to use the menu.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,471member
    michelb76 said:
    MacPro said:
    Found another Finder change.

New Folder with "name of folder" above Open in New Tab/Window

This is driving me nuts as my muscle memory selects it 100 times a day in error when I want 'open in new Tab'.  I wish I could relocate this on menu!  Where is FedIt when you need it? /sigh ;)
    I use 'open in new tab' a lot as well, but I command-doubleclick the folder, that opens it in a new tab without having to use the menu.
    Well thanks for that tip, I may well try that given my brain seems unable to learn to move the mouse down that extra one line when working quickly.  This totally different method may be easier on my gray cells.  I do miss the days we could customize our own menus on Macs ...  Frankly I am at a loss as to know why anyone would want to open a folder in a newly created one or at least why it so important as to be top of the menu list.  Then again maybe this is a beta thing that may go away ... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,471member

About a decade ago, there was a nifty little free app called "DVD43" (DVD For Free) on Windows that would invalidate any region protection on a DVD and allow you to play/ extract the contents, without having to change the region settings on the DVD drive (which you could only do 5 times).  I wonder if there was/ is a Mac equivalent of the same.
    I have a vague memory of being able to invalidate regional settings for a limited number of times on a Mac too, just can't remember how or with what, heck I can hardly remember CDs and DVDs either.  lol.  How technology changes eh?   I had to buy a Philips Cassette on Amazon last week to test a a Tascam Studio 688 multitrack analog deck/mixer (and we didn't use the word analog back then) and I had long since thrown all my cassettes out.  Unbelievable that I didn't't have a single one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 76member
    I can’t believe I’m the first one to point this out: in the appearance panel, you finally get a plethora of accent colour choices other than the classic Aqua and Graphite, just like in Mac OS 8-9.

This level of customization was unthinkable in the post-candy-coloured Mac era, and it still feels surprising, as you only get, at most, a choice of four muted casing colors and just on the MacBook line. I’m guessing they realized that those vibrant accent colours would pair well (better than either Aqua and Graphite, as a matter of fact) with the new, full-on dark mode.

Anyway, let’s take a moment to appreciate the fact that having two radically different modes with several variations amounts, basically, to a simplified and official Shapeshifter of sorts. Apple just Sherlocked those guys, only with a bit of a delay because clamping down on system tampering was a priority.

I’m ecstatic about this, but it also means 10 times more work to create updated ByteController skins. Oh well.

P.S.: I only tested this functionality on a 2012 cMBP I just bought (and which, alas, I will try to return to the seller as the Optical Bay craps out with SATA III drives… but not before trying out Mojave and my old, unsupported Wacom tablet), so… can anyone do so on a new MacBook Pro and tell us whether the accent colour is changed accordingly on the Touch Bar as well?
    edited June 11 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    So the Photos app in OSX wasn't updated to keep up with the iOS version ? Or will the iOS version eventually come to OSX ?