ARGH!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Must resist... help, I feel weak

All the good for which I stand, the ceaseless critique, the unending damnation of all Apple's price gouging manouvers, my loyal following of whiners and trolls, I feel, OH me oh my, a weakening in the knees, the 12" powerbook beckons, the promise of it's softly glowing LCD draws me in and I find myself unable to resist the advances of a lithe package, spanning support, bluetooth, DDR and altivec.

STOP.

It isn't real DDR, spanning support is VGA out only, there is no L3, rendered so, can it really be faster than the iBook?

It has a slot loader, my precious, yes, we hates them!

But she is so small and light?

Oh the humanity! Make it stop! What must I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>

Oh the humanity! Make it stop! What must I do?</strong><hr></blockquote>

What must you do? Shut up for a moment and buy one.

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: imacFP ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 20
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Get one, Matsu
  • Reply 3 of 20
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The dark side beckons you Matsu. I hope you like your new PowerBook.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

<strong>

But she is so small and light?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

And reasonably priced.

My initial reaction was "huh? 12 inch?...why not 13?" But I guess it's so there's enough of a separation from the 15" model.

But with dual monitor support (albeit VGA), I suspect this won't be that much of an issue.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    It's a pretty machine. I'd give in if I were you. (Or if I were me with more money.)
  • Reply 6 of 20
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>

And reasonably priced.

My initial reaction was "huh? 12 inch?...why not 13?" But I guess it's so there's enough of a separation from the 15" model.

But with dual monitor support (albeit VGA), I suspect this won't be that much of an issue.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's because of the sub notebook niche. It's small enough to be not too small.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    "I'm a pube away from the buy button as we speak. don't ask, well, they are very sexy portables!"

Hey, don't look for support from me this time, Matsu.

You and your checkbook are on your own!

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. As one of your divine followers, I'm sure you'll derive little comfort from the fact that I have banned myself from going to the Apple store.

Must...resist...17 inch...desk...top..r.eplacement...mummy... :eek:

PS. That 12 inch Powerbook looks like a 'BUY' Matsu. You said Apple had a 'gap' in their laptop line. I'd say they filled it. Not once but three times if you count the 17 incher twice.

Still, we can always moan about the desktops, can't we...?

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: Lemon Bon Bon ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 20
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    Matsu, as Yoda once said:

Try not.

Do.

Or do not.

There is no try.

-

Buy you must....Now....Before the Dark Side once again, you it ensnares....
  • Reply 9 of 20
    i so confused...i was set to buy a 15" PB to take notes in class and compose music...now the 17" comes out with all the sweet features but it is so big...it's 1.4" too big to even fit in my megalopolis boblebe backpack. i can;t kep using this 233 grape iMac for the next four months until the TiBooks get updated...the 17" is so sweet...egad...help me now please!
  • Reply 10 of 20
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    [quote]My initial reaction was "huh? 12 inch?...why not 13?<hr></blockquote>

I think 1024x768 looks better on a 12" than a 13" screen. And way better than that res. on a 15" screen
  • Reply 11 of 20
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    well,

i must say: wow

what a unexpected great strategic move from apple

if i had the cash i did me myself a 17", but what not is can come...

anyway, jobs distracted all attention to the software side and suprised with unexpected hardware. just the shell, no speedbumps at all. this means we will need a long wait till we'll get real speed improvements (Q4 2003/Q1 2004)
  • Reply 12 of 20
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Go get one Matsu!! Then entertain us with your rants about your new purchase!!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Actually, the 12" model has no bluetooth, or backlit keyboard, as well, there are risks with a 1st release product.

**** it .... who am I kidding.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by the cool gut:

<strong>Actually, the 12" model has no bluetooth, or backlit keyboard, as well, there are risks with a 1st release product.

**** it .... who am I kidding. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Bluetooth yes. Backlit keyboard no (bummer). AirPort Extreme ready but not able.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    Actually, the 12" has built-in bluetooth.

Fish
  • Reply 16 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The back lit keyboard look cool but it isn't a deal breaker for me. Bluetooth would have been, I can think of a few wireless devices that will make a heck of a lot more sense when you don't need all sorts of wired dongles to get them to work: Keyboard and mouse and cell phone especially.

I'm not entirely enthused about that slot loader, but I'm just hunting for excuses now. At this point I could really use a laptop both for work and research -- hard to believe I find time for both between my posts! -- Actually, I probably should have been using one for the past 3-4 months already but I just couldn't find anything really appealing to me (at an appealing price). A G3? No thanks. The Canadian prices of the 15.2 and up models? uh-un.

Now Apple has gone and filled that sweet spot I've been ranting about for months, bastards, my money doesn't want to meet my mouth.

But look at it guys, it's so small. I don't care what anybody says, it's as close to a subnote as any rational person should care to get.

I still have some friends at the university, what's the edu price on that little beast?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member

<strong>It isn't real DDR, spanning support is VGA out only, there is no L3, rendered so, can it really be faster than the iBook?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, the DDR RAM is very, very real. I doubt Apple would bundle fake DDR RAM into such an appealing package.

The SDR bus, that is also very real.

Besides, it will still be faster than a top of the line iMac, and weigh in at less than five pounds.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    If I had not just bought the 1GHz TiBook in November I would get one of the new 17" Powerbooks. Man that is one nice machine (although it seems a bit bulky). The 12" Powerbook is sweet too. I'm pissed about that because my sister just bought the 800Mhz 12" iBook in Dec. Argh!!! She really wanted a G4, but didn't want to spend over $2000.

Oh well, what can you do? My sister loves her iBook and I really love my TiBook. So all is well...I keep telling myself this while I peruse eBay for the latest asking price for 1Ghz 15" TiBooks.

I'm assuming the 12" and 17" don't have true DDR (motherboard), like the hack on the powermac's? I think I will wait for a faster processor, and true DDR. Plus, I'd stay away from 1st revs and wait till Apple works the kinks out of these new machines. What's with no USB2? Although I guess I would rather have Bluetooth than USB2. And FW2 more than makes up for it.

While these new Powerbooks are great, I really can't wait to see the updates to these machines.

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: trowa ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 20
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    The 12" Powerbook has spanning support!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I'm happy for you, Matsu.