iGear.com.au Counterfeit Products are EVERYWHERE In Australia - Why doesnt Apple crack down?

3nD3nD
Posted:
in General Discussion
Long time lurker but first time poster. I thought i'd share an observation I made on a recent trip to Australia. As an Apple fan I was pretty shocked to see just how rife counterfeit products were in retail stores in Australia. 

There is a company called iGear (igear.com.au) who must sell displays of cell phone accessories wholesale to independent retail stores. They were literally everywhere. I went into 10 stores in Brisbane and each one of them had an iGear display stand. This was just across 3 suburbs! The crazy thing about this company is that everything they sell is a copied from Apple! They have black boxes for all their products, but their logo, branding and most importantly products are all direct replicas of Apple products. Earbuds, earpods, power adapters and cables, they copy everything! 

I had a quick look on their website and Facebook page they state they have over 3000 retails locations across Australia. I was cheeky enough to ask a store in Australia if there products were genuine Apple products, and the staff told me yes! Clearly they are not.

Why does Apple not enforce their IP in Australia? According to their google reviews this company sells 25,000 cables alone each month! This is no small shady opperator! You read stories of Apple cracking down on individual stores stateside, why do they let companies get about with stealing their IP on such a massive scale overseas? 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    On their homepage, I see nothing that could be considered infringing.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    3nD3nD Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    You are right about their website, but I have seen their physical in store products. That's probably why they have escaped attention. Check out their pintrest! Even their displays are copies of iPhones!

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/441212094725723324/

It doesn't really matter. Live and let live I guess. I just remember Apple taking down a spare cable I tried to sell on eBay (a genuine one) claiming copyright infringement and that was a single item in a single sale!