Here are all the Apple Pay banks added during 2018 and 2019

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    kkqd1337 said:
    I rarely use Apple Pay. 

One major problem I have is that I have two cards issued from the same bank. This means that in the wallet they look identical. 

I need to know which one I am using, but Wallet does not allow you to label the cards and I can never remember the last 4 digits.

So I just reach for my actual wallet!

????

I have three cards issued by my bank, and all three look different.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Cynflor said:
    Great to have all these smaller U.S. banks coming on board, but I'd like to hear about efforts to sign on bigger retailers like CVS, Home Depot, etc. 
    A CVS that I use in Brooklyn recently started accepting Apple Pay at their terminals, so it's probably coming soon everywhere.   And this is a store that's moving soon because of a new building construction, so I'm surprised they bothered, but maybe it didn't need any changes to the terminal - it just had to be "turned on" or app software implemented on the network.   It has bugged me that Home Depot doesn't accept Apple Pay.   IIRC, Target doesn't accept Apple Pay either.  

I've always complained that until ATM's accepted Apple Pay that I couldn't leave my wallet at home and it really wasn't any harder (and sometimes easier) to swipe a credit or debit card, but the Chase machines in my area do now enable Apple Pay, so I now use a wallet-type case for my iPhone, keep my driver's license, registration and MetroCard (for the subway) in there along with one credit card and a tiny bit of cash and frequently don't take my wallet with me anymore.   But there's still an enormous number of retailers who don't yet take Apple Pay and I tend to avoid chain and big box stores when I can.   
  • Reply 23 of 39
    lkrupp said:
    Cynflor said:
    Great to have all these smaller U.S. banks coming on board, but I'd like to hear about efforts to sign on bigger retailers like CVS, Home Depot, etc. 
    You forgot Walmart. They are still trying to force their payment system on people. CVS and Home Depot were big supporters of the never-launched CurrentC as I recall. In my opinion there are two reasons some retailers don’t like NFC systems like Pay. First, they have little to no access to customer data from credit cards becasue of the advanced security. Second, they don’t want to pay yet another processing fee to a middleman like Apple. A personal friend of mine ran a local pharmacy. He had the credit card terminal that supported NFC but he never activated it. I asked him once why and he said the fees involved were prohibitive for him. First, the terminal supplier wanted extra monthly fees for activating the NFC feature. Second, the transaction fees were in addition to standard credit card fees. He felt he just couldn’t justify the additional expenses for a relatively few customers who wanted to use NFC.

When it comes to any payment system the retailer is hounded with fees from everywhere in the transaction chain. The bank gets its cut, Apple gets its cut, MasterCard or Visa gets their cut, etc. Where I live we have a number of independent restaurants and ice cream shops that accept only cash and have a third party ATM machine near the door so the customer gets to pay the fees and the owner gets a cut from the ATM supplier.
    Your "friend" is not being honest with you.  Apple gets its "cut" from the issuing bank, not the retailer.  The only fees retailer's pay for installing NFC capability is a one time charge for an interface to their banking account.  It's part of a setup fee.

Until the current generation of tech-phobic retail operators retire there will be all kinds of fallacious reasons given for not supporting mobile pay of any flavor. 
    chia
  • Reply 24 of 39
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    crabby said:
    To make this work Apple doesn't need to get more banks on board. It is the still amazing number of POS venders who do not have the system working. A million free devices to the mom & pops would further Apple's biz more than signing 100 more banks.
    All the POS vendors do support it, mom & pops shops just need to turn it on and agree to the terms with their bank who process their CC transaction. That is the simple answer, and had this discussion with the place I get my hair cut, the owner had not idea his system supported it and he was an Apple guy too. The next month he was accepting Apple pay.

What I have seen is most mom & pop stores usually are using old cash register software which is still running on an old windows environment and this software does not support the NFC token transactions or the interface to the new POS. Some places I have been to who except Apple pay and they are still on their old cash registers system have to key in the amount in to the POS terminal to allow you to process the transaction with Apple pay, this is work around to the old systems which still exist and small stores who refuse to upgrade since many times it ties into their accounting software. There is a small bakery i go to and last year they updated all their cash register and POS to Square so they now accept Apple pay without an issue. 

Apple pay changes are more than the POS systems for many small places it has a ripple effect and many times there is lots of costs to it which is not obvious.
    edited December 2018 chia
  • Reply 25 of 39
    The real questions is what does the competitors list look like. Is google and Samsung add them just as fast.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Why use Apple Pay? One huge reason: card replacement. I had my card stolen, and Discover cancelled my card and mailed me a new one. In an hour I got an alert from Apple saying my new Discover Card was ready to use in ApplePay. Sure enough, it worked! Several days later I got my plastic physical card in the mail, then I started changing my card number by myself for every autopay account. Took weeks. I wish everyone took ApplePay for everything. That’s worth it, right there.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    McDonalds has ApplePay, but at the drive thru they require the entire cash register be held out the window. Yes, it works, but really? It’s almost as awful a design as a Motorola radio, and that’s saying something! Perhaps Apple should buy one of the big register companies and fix their stupid designs?
  • Reply 28 of 39
    tbornot said:
    Why use Apple Pay? One huge reason: card replacement. I had my card stolen, and Discover cancelled my card and mailed me a new one. In an hour I got an alert from Apple saying my new Discover Card was ready to use in ApplePay. Sure enough, it worked! Several days later I got my plastic physical card in the mail, then I started changing my card number by myself for every autopay account. Took weeks. I wish everyone took ApplePay for everything. That’s worth it, right there.
    This is the exact reason we have two credit cards, one we use for all our autopay accounts, this card does not see the light of day. It is locked in the safe once we set up the auto pay, this card has never been compromised. The second card is what we use for every day transaction, this card has gotten compromised a few time. Since we have a card for autopay we never hard to reset them up. Actually we have third card which is backup to the everyday card so we do not get stuck out only to find out our card has been shut down or we had it shut off since it was compromised. 

Last year we were on vacation and our card got turned off while trying to buy something, I got a text asking if we were making the transactions, but get not see it so they locked the card, we pulled out the second card, same thing happen but no text just locked. Called the Bank to find out what was going on, turns out the grocery store/area we were in was notorious for people using stolen card numbers, so they blocked out transaction immediately since we never been to this location before. The same thing happen to others who were traveling with us. I hope Apple pay puts an end to this.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Bruno BBruno B Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Missing on the list of December 2018 are Belgian banks : BNP Paribas Fortis, Fintro & Hello bank. (Those last 2 are subsidiaries of the first 1)
    So Apple Pay finally came to Belgium.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    So does anybody know when pay will be available in Greece.... seriously?
  • Reply 31 of 39
    [...]

On iOS, you can also change the default card within the wallet app: simply drag the desired card to the bottom of the screen. (Conceptually, make it the topmost card in the stack.)

edited December 2018
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Just download Google Pay application and use whatever method you prefer.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    My bank still doesn’t have it but considering it’s cards appear to be issued by Westpac I don’t expect to see that happening anytime too soon. I’m thinking of setting up an ANZ account but according to this list I ASB has also signed up. This is interesting.

I guess it will be now a case of who’s fee structure is more affordable.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Advice to my fellow Human beings, use ApplePay wherever available. So, simple, quicker and free.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 35 of 39
    scoony7 said:
    Any clue when Apple Pay is coming to Germany?
    According to Apple’s Apple Pay site, it already works in Germany: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207957

and here’s the list of participating banks/institutions:

• American Express
    • boon.
    • bunq
    • comdirect
    • Deutsche Bank
    • fidor BANK
    • Hanseatic Bank
    • HypoVereinsbank / UniCredit Bank AG
    • N26
    • o2 Banking
    • Ticket Restaurant Edenred
    • VIMpay

• Reply 36 of 39
    TuuborTuubor Posts: 53member
    Yes! Finally Danske Bank in Finland. Just made my first purchase from the local grocery store with my phone. Awesome.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    "September 3
    Netherlands
    Bunq
    Monese
    N26
    Revolut"

To add: these are quite small banks in the Netherlands. After the introduction of Apple Pay by big bank ING (June 2019), the big banks Rabobank and ABN AMRO today have officially announced to implement Apple Pay. 
  • Reply 38 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    tbornot said:
    McDonalds has ApplePay, but at the drive thru they require the entire cash register be held out the window.
    That's an old post. By now anybody using AP at McDonald's drive-thru probably knows the entire cash register was never held out the window, but just a POS terminal, which is much smaller. It's a cheap, practical, though inelegant workaround that is thoroughly functional. It's a great design for in-store use, repurposed for drive through with what's available. The only thing stupid about it is tbornot's post.

As NFC payments get more traction, smaller handheld units like Wendy's handheld QR readers are bound to appear. But it's an expense and again, a matter of need.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Westpac Australia bank continues to ignore its customers wishes and continues to frustrate and hold out accepting the more secure Apple Pay. What lack of respect I have for this bank.
    edited October 2019