What's the deal with APPLE STOCK

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ohkay, what is going on with Apple Stock and people (dis)recommending it?

I bought it when it was higher than it is now, and I am very discouraged and want to sell when it gets back to my price...man, i should have bought 3 weeks earlier than I did....I could have doubled my money...that would have been sweet, get a new computer!!!

but anywho, what is up with THE STOCK?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    apple stock always goes lower after product anouncements, but it didn't drop as much as it normally does, perhaps that is why they issued a sell.

also you have to consider that its not just apple stock that is lower then normal all the other companies are too, i'm holding on to my apple stock and either riding down with the ship or riding it to enough for a new computer
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I've been wanting to buy stock in a couple companies, one of them Apple, for about a year now. How abouts did you go about it, I asked like 10 people and everybody told be "a stockbroker". I don't know any stockbrokers nor do I know where to start.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I use fidelity online to buy, since I had an account with fidelity before I was doing any online trading. datek and etrade are decent choices if you don't have a plan already.

I bought apple stock 2 years ago after the MWSF. It was low. about where it is now, I think. It went to 30 between then and now, but I didn't sell, because the taxes would have nullified most of the bonus. Apple shall rise again. That I guarantee.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    The stock always dip after a MW and more if there is product announcements than if not. Only explanation I have is that people sell their stocks to be able to buy a 12 incher.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebagakid:

<strong>Ohkay, what is going on with Apple Stock and people (dis)recommending it?

I bought it when it was higher than it is now, and I am very discouraged and want to sell when it gets back to my price...

[/b]</strong><hr></blockquote>

That strategy makes no sense at all. If you have stock A and know it's going to be flat while stock B is rated to go up ... it only makes sense to sell A and buy B. There's no magic in holding onto a stock that went down and is now flat. Dump it and buy something else.

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Scott ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>

That strategy makes no sense at all. If you have stock A and know it's going to be flat while stock B is rated to go up ... it only makes sense to sell A and buy B. There's no magic in holding onto a stock that went down and is now flat. Dump it and buy something else.

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Scott ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow, Scott doesn't know anything about stocks EITHER! Stunning.

Tip: if you want to lose money, sell a stock when it goes down after you bought it. If you want to make money on a stock, buy one you believe has a LONG TERM future -- more then five years -- and hold it until you're rich(er).

Edit: like Apple for example, which has a bright future in niche premium-priced hi-tech consumer lifestyle products, and certain small high-end media production categories. If Apple ever "aimed to be number one on the desktop" or something like that it would be doomed. Luckily it's not after OS domination and hasn't been for probably 7 years. But as a company that can make money out of tech in a tech-led recession, with a very clear strategy where "speed" of processors is of less importance -- as it will be very soon in the consumer space, and not a worry post 970 anyway -- and a clear leader in industrial design / ease of use / prettiness ... and a few other areas too ... it's well valued. It'll be worth more in a few years time then it is now. If stocks and shares exist in a few years time of course or if the entire western economy isn't "revalued" in a way that will make you worry more about food then share prices. But still.

I bought some, and don't expect to sell it until I'm greyer and wrinklier. Which is the way share work dumkoppf.

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Harald ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What's dumb is holding onto a stock that's not going anywhere. You're money is tied up for no gain. Run the numbers yourself and then get back to me.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apple stock has made me very very happy in the past. I quintupled, and bit more actually, and could have made even more but I lost my nerve before the split (never had that much money before and I wanted to keep it) so it turned out nicely for me through the sheer force of cowardice and luck! I think Apple will stay flat for most of this year, I'll tell ya when to buy, not for awhile yet.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong> Run the numbers yourself and then get back to me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Err, OK Mr. Scott, I've run the numbers and I'm back sir!

I buy 100 shares of AAPL at $16. They drop to $14 a year and a half later. I sell. I lose $200 plus any commission.

I buy 100 shares of AAPL at $16. After variation they rise to $40 in 10 years. I sell. I make $2400 minus commission.

This is known as the "Utterly Standard 'Stocks 101' Approach to Investing in Volatile Markets."

I think you may have missed a couple of recent events. First what was has been dubbed the "bursting of the tech bubble." Following this (do a search on Google, you'll find a lot about it) the entire sector has been devalued -- Apple included -- and the sector is drifting downwards en masse yet. Apple is not only still going, but profitable. It has a few billion in the bank which actually means the price is more then reasonable even as a pure "balance-sheet company." It has a very powerful and improving niche (but increasingly mainstream) offering and strategy. Hence my opinion is that Apple makes as good a long-term punt as any unknowable quantity.

Secondly, on the 2nd of September 2001 ("9/11" -- you must have seen it on TV) there was a terrorist incident in NYC which unsettled the markets even further, further constraining IT spending. Current market sentiment is therefore poor, but a long-term investor assumes this will change or he'd give up and be vegetable farmer in New Zealand.

(So that counts out history, economics and business too. What could it be ... ?)

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: Harald ]</p>