Adobe eyeing iPad release of full Photoshop suite in 2019

Posted:
in iPhone
Adobe has confirmed that there are full-featured cross-platform apps coming for Photoshop, but less clear is an announcement date, and a release window.

Adobe iOS apps

"My aspiration is to get these on the market as soon as possible," Adobe Chief Product Officer Scott Belsky told Bloomberg. "There's a lot required to take a product as sophisticated and powerful as Photoshop and make that work on a modern device like the iPad. We need to bring our products into this cloud-first collaborative era."

Belsky refused comment on timing, or details of the release. Also not specified is if the release would be for the iPhone and iPad, or just the iPad.

If the report is accurate, Adobe will debut the new app at October's MAX creative conference in October, with the release at some point in 2019. Bloomberg claims that "engineering delays could still alter that timeline."

Adobe already has a cut-down version of Photoshop available on the iPad. Companion apps for the title were released in 2011, but had little actual functionality.

Adobe currently has 34 apps in the App Store. There is no Adobe equivalent to the full Photoshop experience in one title.

The existing Photoshop Fix is geared towards retouching and restoring images, using various brushes, and adjustment tools for focus, color, exposure, and saturation. Mix is built around cutting, combining, and layering, though some basic image adjustment tools are present.

Photoshop Express is Adobe's the most recently updated iOS app for photo manipulation, and is similar to Photoshop Elements on the Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Full article on Bloomberg.

this is a big thing. I use Lightroom and the other apps named in the Bloomberg article. Affinity, and others are really going to have to up their game. Their apps are good, and in some areas go beyond what Adobe offers currently on the iPad, but fall far short of the full professional feature set of photoshop. In addition, Affinity’y Photo is very poorly laid out. It’s clumsy in a number of ways. Enlight I’d very good too, and fixes some of Ohoto’s problems, but also falls short.

a lot of us are waiting for this with a high degree of anticipation.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If anybody still thinks a tablet can never replace a desktop or laptop you’re whistling past the graveyard. Adobe seems to be skating to where they think the puck will be. I have been in a real quandary over whether to buy a MacBook or an iPad Pro as a mobile platform. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 40
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    lkrupp said:
    If anybody still thinks a tablet can never replace a desktop or laptop you’re whistling past the graveyard. Adobe seems to be skating to where they think the puck will be. I have been in a real quandary over whether to buy a MacBook or an iPad Pro as a mobile platform. 
    If running one app is what you do, then possibly in your case, a tablet can replace a desktop/laptop.  It depends on what you do.  But for every app like this, there are 100 others that have no tablet version, making it impossible to REPLACE a desktop/laptop.  Not to mention the lack of a real filesystem and no connectivity to Windows networks, lackluster printing, etc. 

A tablet is a tool.  A handsaw is also a tool that has it's place, but I wouldn't build a house using it.
    MKMcireland
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    melgross said:

this is a big thing. I use Lightroom and the other apps named in the Bloomberg article. Affinity, and others are really going to have to up their game. Their apps are good, and in some areas go beyond what Adobe offers currently on the iPad, but fall far short of the full professional feature set of photoshop. In addition, Affinity’y Photo is very poorly laid out. It’s clumsy in a number of ways. Enlight I’d very good too, and fixes some of Ohoto’s problems, but also falls short.

The Bloomberg article is linked in the piece.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    melgross said:

Affinity Designer was just released this week.  Serif has been around a long time and makes great products that do not break the bank.  Over time they will mature.  (been a customer since 1992)
    mac_dog
  • Reply 6 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    icoco3 said:
    melgross said:

Affinity Designer was just released this week.  Serif has been around a long time and makes great products that do not break the bank.  Over time they will mature.  (been a customer since 1992)
    I bought Affinity Designer for iPad. It’s impressive relative to other vector art iOS apps, but good Lord is it awkward to use compared to a keyboard and mouse/tablet based version of Illustrator on a desktop. I’d have to be able to seriously customize all of the app’s icons and placement on screen to be able to use it for production, but that’s not possible today.

The best possible combination of ways to use an Illustator-like program would combine iPad and desktop, so direct input on-screen for illustrating and keyboard/mouse for editing and other technical functions.

i will probably ask Apple for my money back on the Affinity app. 
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 7 of 40
    deminsd said:
    lkrupp said:
    If running one app is what you do, then possibly in your case, a tablet can replace a desktop/laptop.  It depends on what you do.  But for every app like this, there are 100 others that have no tablet version, making it impossible to REPLACE a desktop/laptop.  Not to mention the lack of a real filesystem and no connectivity to Windows networks, lackluster printing, etc. 

A tablet is a tool.  A handsaw is also a tool that has it's place, but I wouldn't build a house using it.
    The truth is that much of what you can do can be done on the iPad Pro 12.9”. A full version of Office is here too. There are good databases as well. Just about the only thing you can’t do yet is software development. At some point, we will see that too.

actually, you can connect to Windows networks. There’s no problem with that.

since you don’t know all the professional apps available for the iPad, you should be careful in what you say. Just because a specific app isn’t available, doesn’t mean that others that do pretty much the same thing, aren’t, because, often, they are. 91% of tablets used in business and government are iPads. Many of those have replaced notebooks.

there is software that you could run on a heavy performance Desktop, that you couldn’t fit, much less run, on a notebook. Does that mean that the notebook isn’t a real computer, useful for daily computing tasks? Of course not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 40
    melgross said:

The Bloomberg article is linked in the piece.
    Sorry, didn’t see it.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    icoco3 said:
    melgross said:

Obviously I haven’t used Designer yet, though I’ve been getting their info about it. Photo is a great app with a fair number of flaws. Serif is good to, as is Enlight, Adobe Lightroom, and a number of others.

but none of them can offer the depth of tools many pros want, and need, in one place. I’m retired, so three years ago I stopped beta testing CC for them. I started in 1990. A number of the features in Photoshop are there because I, and a number of others, spoke to Adobe, and they added it. While some, who probably shouldn’t be using Photoshop in the first place, complain that there are too many features, I have to say that they’re wrong. Once this is out, and Adobe solves the teething problems, these other companies are going to have a hard time in the real pro space. And there are a lot of reasons for that.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 10 of 40
    I wonder if Adobe knows something we don't about the iPad Pro with the A12X (yes, I think it'll be an A12X since Apple didn't update the Pro this Spring or at WWDC).

I know Apple sometimes gives certain developers early access to hardware for testing, so it could be that this years iPad Pro has enough grunt to not only run Photoshop, but run it really well. If Adobe knows about the expected performance then it might have been enough to finally convince them to bring Photoshop over.

Yet we'll still have idiots running around saying you can't do real work on an iPad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 40
    I hope so badly Affinity can grow as a company. Having some major competition is this space would be really good for the consumer. Adobe has neglected the professional consumer in a lot of ways.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 40
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    SpamSandwich said:
    “...I’d have to be able to seriously customize all of the app’s icons and placement on screen to be able to use it for production, but that’s not possible today...”

Would it really be that difficult for you to customize all of the app icons, or are you simply unwilling to adjust to the learning curve? Or have no interest whatsoever of using the app? Because that’s what it sounds like to me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Adobe doesn't really make major upgrades to Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign anymore. They seem to be a lot more interested in their 3D, video editing, and web development tools. I think that's the main reason companies like Affinity can make inroads in that area. Adobe seems to have moved on from the apps that used to be the main core of the Creative Suite. 
  • Reply 14 of 40
    I know Apple sometimes gives certain developers early access to hardware for testing, so it could be that this years iPad Pro has enough grunt to not only run Photoshop, but run it really well. If Adobe knows about the expected performance then it might have been enough to finally convince them to bring Photoshop over.
    2D editing in Photoshop would have been no sweat for the 2015 iPad Pro. The 3D editing tools are the performance hogs when it comes to Photoshop. I remember how poorly the initial version of the Mercury Engine in CS6 worked on a 2013 MacBook Pro. The creative cloud versions have improved though. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Affinity Designer just came out for iPad and Affinity Photo is already there. At this point Adobe already lost their lead. I'm not gonna pay 50 bucks. a month to have Photoshop on my iPad when I was able to pay 20 bucks to have Affinity Photo for as long as I want. That said I do admit that Photo could use some improvements. The Pencils should always be set to pressure for it's controller, and they need to improve their palm rejection.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lkrupp said:
    Adobe seems to be skating to where they think the puck will be.
    A decade and a half too late. Reminder that they still support Flash until 2020.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 40
    MKMcMKMc Posts: 14member
    deminsd said:
    lkrupp said:

I think it's a bit of both. I can definitely see a future - not too far away - where an iPad can perform most desktop functions. It's an evolutionary process that involves a combination of improving hardware capability, imaginative software design - and most importantly - a change in peoples ways of working. I try and test myself sometimes and see just how much I can do on an iPad - and with the right apps, it's amazing how much is now possible. I am a designer - so for that workflow I can actually get quite far. But, at this point in time, you are right - it is a tool that supplements a main computer. I think Affinity is leading the way big-time. Adobe has taken way too long to come to the iPad party with some serious software as opposed to micro-apps that do one or two things. I am looking forward to something serious from Adobe.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Had Apple not doubled-down on their touch-first based design and philosophy for iOS, this would never have happened.

I recall one time in a travel hostel in Ireland, an American guy, mostly a Windows guy, said to me: “I like what Microsoft are doing with the Surface, it has real apps, unlike the iPad”. I argued with him that Surface only has so-called real apps at this point because they are afraid to break with that past, and that real change happens and real apps like PS (to drop a name) only happen on a touch-first based system when there is no alternative way to interact with the apps there. Other than that we get same apps over again, and a desktop system (with touch as an afterthought) and that we already have that with typical laptops.

PS CC for iPad could be a sort of watershed moment for the iPad platform. Other apps will follow like XCode, too, at some point. I will still continue to use a Mac. For certain PS users though, I see iPad Pro 11” & 13” models being potentially pretty powerful for them.

For some, their whole studio and business may become of an iPhone, a Apple Pencil, an iPad Pro, with maybe a shared charger, a pen and a Moliskine. I’m sure for some this is already their present, but this opens up to many more.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 19 of 40
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    deminsd said:
    lkrupp said:

I would say it depends on how many of those other apps you actually use but even that’s poor transitional methodology.  I think you’re meaning substitute rather than replace, if you want all your current desktop apps & current (out-dated) information management then an iPad is no device substitute.  If you’re looking to replace current device/apps/services & rethink workflow to increase productivity then iPad has had most of the answers for some time.

The big question is why would you?  In short, there are many things iPads are better at than Windows PCs and even Macs; they require far less non-productive activity/maintenance/administration, they perform many actions more fluidly and productively, their modern info mgt (not network drives) makes inter-device & multiuser workflow possible & more effective.

Most transitions will involve hybridisation anyway (you’ll probably grab the next branch before letting go of the last) but the main challenge isn’t software, it’s mentality.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    I think what somebody needs to do (and I hope Affinity beats Adobe to the punch) is allow syncing content over iCloud live. IE if I do a pen stroke on my iPad, a second late it shows up on my Mac with the same file but opened at a different aspect ratio. 

I realize that AstroPad already allows you to mirror your mac screen on your iPad. But this would allow you to use each interface that’s designed to be the best on the device and still use both for their strong suits.