Podcast discusses the new MacBook Pro, alleged industrial espionage, and iOS USB Restricte...

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider Podcast, Victor and Andrew discuss the new MacBook Pro, allegations of industrial espionage as an engineer is said to have stolen secrets from Apple and tried to board a flight to China, and iOS USB Restricted Mode and what it means for you.

AppleInsider staff Victor Marks and Andrew O'Hara discuss:
  • New MacBook Pro! This was unexpected, but is very welcome. The biggest complaints when the TouchBar laptop was introduced were "Why not 32GB of RAM? Why not DDR4?" These questions are now answered, and with a 6 core processor and new GPUs, too. It comes at a price. Is the price too high?
  • There's also an eGPU kit that's going to be sold in Apple Retail and online, by Blackmagic. This is a sleek kit, containing a Radeon Pro 580, and is smaller than other eGPU boxes we've seen.
  • The Macbook Pro isn't the most expensive Apple laptop ever, although it's not that far away, either. We go down a quick trip through Apple history.
  • USB restricted mode in iOS - what it is, how to use it, and why you might want it.
  • The strange case of the former Apple engineer alleged to have stolen software, databases, printed circuit cards, and a linux server.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @vmarks and @Andrew_OSU.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Victor: "Andrew, do you have any parting thoughts?"

Andrew: "No."

Victor's chuckle made me smile. :)

Enjoyed the podcast, as usual! :)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Why no LTE on Apples laptops?  High end laptops that lack business options...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    You got an iPhone? Then you’ve got a LTE connection.
    jony0
  • Reply 4 of 5
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    I own a Samsung Chromebook with an LTE option in it. It came with a month of free service. The one time I tried to activate it to take advantage of it, it was a complete cluster-nightmare. 

Your need makes total sense - we have phones with LTE, we have iPads with LTE, watches with LTE, why not laptops? But at the same time, how many lines of service do you want to pay for?

The laptop with LTE plan would not be the same as a tablet or watch add-on fee. Seems like a lot of effort and expense for something that I imagine relatively few people would take advantage of?
    edited July 2018 jony0
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    vmarks said:
    The laptop with LTE plan would not be the same as a tablet or watch add-on fee. Seems like a lot of effort and expense for something that I imagine relatively few people would take advantage of?
    Probably, but not because it is a bad idea, but because telecom costs are so darn high (for so little data).

Having to tether or carry more devices is unnecessary when the laptop could just be online.... especially for business/employee deployment.