LG UltraFine 4K, 5K & Apple Thunderbolt monitors can be used as True Tone displays

Posted:
in macOS edited July 2018
Apple has detailed True Tone features in the 2018 MacBook Pro, with some surprising displays on a list of compatible monitors.

True Tone display control panel

In the support document published on Friday, Apple has noted that the 2018 MacBook Pro includes True Tone technology on the internal display. Additionally Apple's last display, the Thunderbolt Display from 2011 can do it as well, when connected with Apple's Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

Enabling it is a simple checkbox. The system will adjust all the compatible displays accordingly, and automatically. At present, it isn't clear if the feature works when the computer is in "clamshell" mode.

First introduced in the Apple ecosystem with the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, True Tone is Apple's system for keeping the white balance of the display the same in appearance to the user, regardless of the ambient light around the screen. When the device is moved from one environment to another, the screen is perceived by the user to be the "same" at all times.

Normally when the ambient light in an environment changes, the screen's white balance and general coloring appears to change, such as becoming more blue or orange, even if the display's settings are kept the same. This is actually a problem caused by the user's own vision, due to observing the change in the rest of the environment's lighting conditions and adapting to that, while also noting the "changed" display.

True Tone combats the issue by using four-channel sensors to detect the ambient light that can affect the perception of the display. If a change is detected, such as the user moving an iPad Pro from a room lit with cool blue-ish lightbulbs to the more-yellow light outside on a sunny day, the screen automatically alters what it displays to match, in turn keeping the screen comparably similar despite the differing light situations.

Presumably, either the Thunderbolt connection, or the USB 3.1 type C connector provides additional information to the display to allow for these changes, that HDMI or DisplayPort do not.

Developed in partnership with Apple, the LG UltraFine 4K Display, and its larger 5K sibling, debuted as a surprise accompaniment to the redesigned MacBook Pro lineup at a special media event in October 2016. The standalone displays serve as a replacement for Apple's Thunderbolt Display, which ceased production in June 2016.

Like the Apple-branded monitor, LG's UltraFine 4K Display acts as a breakout dock for port-limited notebooks like the MacBook Pro without Touch Bar models that come with only two Thunderbolt 3 ports. The better equipped, and more expensive, MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models sport four Thunderbolt 3 ports, but still lack USB-A inputs -- a source of much discontent amongst a vocal contingent of the user base.

The UltraFine 4K comes in at 21.5 inches on the diagonal with a resolution of 4,096-by-2,304 and P3 wide color gamut support. On the back are three USB-C ports limited to USB 2 specification speeds. The display's internal power supply is also capable of charging external devices, but is limited to 60W over Thunderbolt 3.

LG's UltraFine 5K Display measures 27 inches and supports resolutions up to 5,120-by-2,880 with P3 color. The display boasts three USB 3.1 ports on the back for attaching high-speed accessories, and also includes stereo speakers, a microphone and front-facing camera. An uprated power supply produces enough juice for 85W of charging power over Thunderbolt 3.

At launch, some UltraFine 5K displays had issues with insufficient RF shielding, but this has been rectified since.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Bwhahaha! My two Thunderbolt Monitors shall relish their new companion! That said I'm still pissed off that Apple didn't release a magsafe and thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter!
    olswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    That's absolutely amazing!  I have two TB2 monitors and that feature would seriously have me considering upgrading my MBP down the road. Both my TB2 monitors work flawlessly and buying the new LG monitors (to me) would have been a step down.  I do tons of photography work on them and keeping them calibrated is a pain for me.

Great job Apple!!  Name one other company that would do that for what is considered "obsolete" monitors!

dewmeracerhomie3olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    This makes perfect sense.  It's not that the screen itself is the secret to "Trutone".  Trutone apparently works with a calibrated light sensor on the MacBook Pro that gauges the ambient light ands makes adjustments to the known, calibrated screen.  Since Apple had a hand in building all of those external monitors (including the LG ones), it probably wasn't that hard to extend the technology to these external screens.  I suspect that you could do the same thing with other third party screens with the proper calibration information.
    Soliolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    ...I for one would still consider the TB2 display at the last refurb price level, even better if simply upgrading the USB ports from USB2 to USB3... I still have a perfectly functional like new 27" LED Cinema display as well...

Also "Apple's Thunderbolt Display, which ceased production in June 2016." Technically it's only a 2 year 'off retail' product...?

edited July 2018
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    ...I for one would still consider the TB2 display at the last refurb price level, even better if simply upgrading the USB ports from USB2 to USB3... I still have a perfectly functional like new 27" LED Cinema display as well...

Also "Apple's Thunderbolt Display, which ceased production in June 2016." Technically it's only a 2 year 'off retail' product...?

I agree.  If Apple introduced a modern version of their TB2 monitor to incorporate TB3 and USBc (5K would be nice too), I'd be on that bandwagon quickly.

The LG monitor is a step backwards for me.  Why it doesn't include an ethernet port just flabbergasts me.  Apple's TB2 monitor is elegant, looks great, and performs admirably.  I want to believe they have one in the works to complement the new Mac Pro when it's available.
    edited July 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    The screen shots will never be the same. Too bad.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    ivanh said:
    The screen shots will never be the same. Too bad.
    What?
    fastasleepwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Is there a reason other LG USB-C monitors, such as LG-27UK850-w, are not able to do this?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    sflocal said:
    That's absolutely amazing!  I have two TB2 monitors and that feature would seriously have me considering upgrading my MBP down the road. Both my TB2 monitors work flawlessly and buying the new LG monitors (to me) would have been a step down.  I do tons of photography work on them and keeping them calibrated is a pain for me.

Great job Apple!!  Name one other company that would do that for what is considered "obsolete" monitors!

Yes, good Apple move indeed. The only self-calibrating monitors I've been aware of are from Eizo, and they are far from a rational expense for me as a photographer. Then again it wouldn't be the only photo-gear I've come across that's not rationally priced IMO, yet still didn't stop my wallet from self-opening.   ;)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    gatorguy said:
    sflocal said:

Yes, good Apple move indeed. The only self-calibrating monitors I've been aware of are from Eizo, and they are far from a rational expense for me as a photographer. Then again it wouldn't be the only photo-gear I've come across that's not rationally priced IMO, yet still didn't stop my wallet from self-opening.   ;)
    I'm guessing that there is an 8K, 10 bit monitor in your future...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    sflocal said:

I agree.  If Apple introduced a modern version of their TB2 monitor to incorporate TB3 and USBc (5K would be nice too), I'd be on that bandwagon quickly.

The LG monitor is a step backwards for me.  Why it doesn't include an ethernet port just flabbergasts me.  Apple's TB2 monitor is elegant, looks great, and performs admirably.  I want to believe they have one in the works to complement the new Mac Pro when it's available.

I miss those displays...they were so nice, even for someone who didn't use them as Pro displays. I'm interested to see what Apple does going forward with their own external display they said they were developing. I don't think the LG concept worked out as nicely as Apple had hoped. 
    watto_cobra