Apple execs turn into their Memoji doppelgangers for World Emoji Day

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
Apple executives on Monday took part in the company's celebration of World Emoji Day by updating their official profile pictures with Memoji, a customizable 3D avatar feature set to arrive with iOS 12.

In an update to Apple's Leadership webpage on Monday, the tech giant replaced official photographs of 17 top executives with custom Memoji characters created in their likeness, from CEO Tim Cook to SVP Jony Ive and VP of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives Lisa Jackson.

With Memoji, users can create an animated 3D self-portrait for use in Messages, recorded video and FaceTime.

As seen in the screenshot above, the cartoon avatars were crafted to reflect each exec's profile picture down to their facial expression, hairstyle and head pose.

Announced at Worldwide Developers Conference in June, Memoji is a highlight feature set to debut alongside iOS 12 this fall. Based on Animoji, which relies on the TrueDepth camera system to animate 3D emoji-like characters, Memoji takes the system one step further by adding user creation tools into the mix.

As AppleInsider outlined in our initial explainer, Memoji includes an impressive slate of user-customizable characteristics, including skin color, head shape and a wealth of options for eyes, brows, nose, ears and more.

The feature is scheduled for release in iOS 12 alongside new ghost, koala, tiger and t-rex Animoji characters. In addition, both Animoji and Memoji will get "tongue detection" for recognizing and displaying tongue movement.

Apple is using World Emoji Day as a chance to push upcoming products and services. The company earlier today teased forthcoming emoji designs based on characters added to Unicode 11.0. Set to debut in iOS and macOS later this year, the emoji include a range of expressions like cold face and party face, as well as new plants, animals, food and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 877member
    Dope
  • Reply 2 of 23
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Hmmm, are these examples poor, in terms of their proximity to the subject, because the person making these memojis isn’t particularly good at making Memojis? Or is the technology not as sophisticated as I expected?
    JWSC
  • Reply 3 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,267member
    pembroke said:
    Hmmm, are these examples poor, in terms of their proximity to the subject, because the person making these memojis isn’t particularly good at making Memojis? Or is the technology not as sophisticated as I expected?
    Neither. Apple has gone for a deliberately cartoony/anime style to cut down on how terrifyingly creepy these could be (see, for example, Samsung’s uncanny-valley-meets-Lawnmower Man style). It’s a style choice.

That Sir Jony tho.
    edited July 2018 fastasleepradarthekatracerhomie3StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    They’re all white!
    trashman69
  • Reply 5 of 23
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    I’m disappointed. Tim Cook memoji at WWDC is more like his than this. Only Johny Ive is good. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 6 of 23
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    mcdave said:
    They’re all white!
    What’s wrong with that?
    trashman69racerhomie3SpamSandwichmike1mario
  • Reply 7 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mcdave said:
    They’re all white!
    Don’t make me post in this thread.
    matrix077 said:
    I’m disappointed. Tim Cook memoji at WWDC is more like his than this. Only Johny Ive is good. 
    Jony is spot on. Craig is pretty good, too. I think they included that hair in the system just for him.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 8 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,267member
    mcdave said:
    They’re all white!
    Flagged for inaccuracy. They are certainly majority white, but Eddie Cue is Hispanic, Lisa Jackson is black, and Isabel Ge Mahe is Chinese. But thanks for playing.
    racerhomie3SpamSandwichmike1marioStrangeDaysappleismymiddlenameclaire1
  • Reply 9 of 23
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    chasm said:
    mcdave said:
    They’re all white!
    Flagged for inaccuracy. They are certainly majority white, but Eddie Cue is Hispanic, Lisa Jackson is black, and Isabel Ge Mahe is Chinese. But thanks for playing.
    Cue is Cuban. Is that not considered white?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Cue is Cuban. Is that not considered white?
    That would generally depend on his genetic makeup (and therefore placement within the old Spanish casta system), but a simple look at him confirms that he’s white. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,834moderator
    chasm said:
    pembroke said:
    Neither. Apple has gone for a deliberately cartoony/anime style to cut down on how terrifyingly creepy these could be (see, for example, Samsung’s uncanny-valley-meets-Lawnmower Man style). It’s a style choice.

That Sir Jony tho.
    What?  Senior design officers have big eyes.  Well known fact.    
    edited July 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 23
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,834moderator
    Can’t wait to turn myself into Jay Leno, no doubt he’ll be one of the most popular memoji’s people will attempt to create.  Plus Arnold.  Hmm, that might be a better one for me, as I can do his voice (young, today, or Jay Leno Arnold caricature impression).  This is going to be fun for me, as I do about 100 voices.  I’ll need a several Hogan’s Heroes characters,  an Eddie Murphy, George Bush (sr and jr), the Duke, etc...
    claire1
  • Reply 13 of 23
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    mcdave said:
    They’re all white!
    It’s OK to be white.
    tallest skilSpamSandwich
  • Reply 14 of 23
    ojbkkkkojbkkkk Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    that's cool! I'm so expected that set to debut in september.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mcdave said:
    They’re all white!
    Not a crime, last time I looked.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Phil Schiller's memoji makes him look like he's still in school.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It’s too bad the memoji head models make everyone look like round-faced babies, but the animation and tracking are solid.

Also, who did Eddie Cue have to blackmail to keep his position at Apple? He’s a dolt.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 18 of 23
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Can’t wait to turn myself into Jay Leno, no doubt he’ll be one of the most popular memoji’s people will attempt to create.  Plus Arnold.  Hmm, that might be a better one for me, as I can do his voice (young, today, or Jay Leno Arnold caricature impression).  This is going to be fun for me, as I do about 100 voices.  I’ll need a several Hogan’s Heroes characters,  an Eddie Murphy, George Bush (sr and jr), the Duke, etc...
    Any videos on Youtube of these voices???  B) 
  • Reply 19 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    icoco3 said:
    Any videos on Youtube of these voices???  B) 
    Yeah, that’s a pretty big buildup with no payoff otherwise.
    randominternetpersonclaire1
  • Reply 20 of 23
    It's (mildly) interesting that there is very little variability in the noses.  They are all button noses with slight variation in the width.  Almost certainly a calculated decision since many people are sensitive about how their nose looks.