Some people you'd just want to hunt down and kill...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...just too much for words. Maybe matsu would agree on a few points this bozo states but I'm steamed...

<a href="http://news.com.com/2010-1071-979757.html?tag=fd_nc_1"; target="_blank">c|net moron article...</a>

Ahhh, it's c|net...what am I getting all hung up about...?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    No matter. Just sounds like a guy who's bitter because he doesn't get why everyone around him was excited about computers that don't run Windows.

-robo
  • Reply 2 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Snippet:

The uninitiated, though, saw something different: two notebooks. The elegant new PowerBook comes with a 17-inch screen, but it's not all that different than 16-inch-screen models from Sony and Toshiba. A nearly identically configured Sony Vaio, in fact, sells for $2,699--$600 less than the PowerBook.

Apple's new mini-notebook, meanwhile, fits squarely within its category. It's not the thinnest or lightest model (that distinction belongs to the 2-pound Sharp Muramasa) or, at $1,799, the cheapest. It's good, it looks cool--but it's a mini-notebook. Outside of Japan, a depressed market, few people buy them.

*ahem*

I don't think it's necessary to even comment. It's obvious this man has the brain power of a used tampon.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    why be steamed?? he points out circumstances that really would get the reactions he is talking about; He is way the hell off, because he assumes that this is the only context that these new items from Apple will be both used and seen. But, he had to try really hard to find the rare circumstances where people would not appreciate Apple's efforts. He should be commended.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    This...this...

"(Of course, think of the scary flip side. If Apple had changed the course of history in the 1980s and emerged as the guiding force in computing, we'd be up to our necks in graphic artists, freelance DJs and career temp employees.)"

• Reply 5 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I didn't see much that I disagreed with. Apple users, especially the type that go to keynotes, ARE strangely cultish. And he was saying that Apple DOES make elegant products, but that most people don't appreciate them and just want to get what everyone else gets. True true true.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    What makes you think I agree with everything negative about Apple. Sure it's done in an inflamatory way, but web-sites need hits, duh? Anyway I agree with some and disagree with some. My main point of contention is no matter how loverly Apple makes its wares, they won't survive without low cost product (for business, EDUCATION!, and the consumer.) It doesn't have to be dirt cheap, but it must represent good value, otherwise all the software/design perfection in the world won't amount to squat. Marketshare and installed base matter, hugely. Figure a computer gives a 2-3 year life and that stretches to 5-6 when the machines are reliable and fast enough to keep on keeping on (though no longer with the latest software). Apple puts anywhere from 4-5 million macs per year into circulation, so there are about 10 million mac users out there hungry to use the latest (most demanding and most expensive) software/periphs, and another 10 million who will buy less expensive stuff but still have capable machines, and then a few million more stragglers. To be really safe, this pool of users has to grow to at least double. Hard for any software company to ignore 40-50 million avid users, people who spend money. They won't get there without price, but they seem to be making a bit more progress lately.

Check that sig, that's right, I'm not above giving credit or cash, when it's warranted.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Sure it's done in an inflamatory way, but web-sites need hits, duh?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It seems like it's in vogue to bash Apple. While some PC mags have started to actually try a Mac before passing judgement, the case in not the same for many "technology reporters".

I mean are these comments really warranted? Surely if they're so happy with the way things work on their PC's, why do they seem so threatened by a platform with a marketshare of only 2.5%?