Any Powerbook 2400 owners out there?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am thinking of picking up one of these up because I want an inexpensive apple sub-notebook (if I'm not mistaken is it the second smallest out of all apple notebooks). Please tell me what you think about them. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't own one and I never have, but I have owned similar products and I know a bit about the 2400. Here's what I know:

It uses a 180 MHz 603e processor, just like the 3400 I used to own. It is a fairly zippy processor that does a good job in OS 9, provided you also have enough RAM (at least 48 MB for OS 9, 64 MB or more preferred).

It has a small keyboard. I do not have personal experience with this however, so I can't say much. I've just heard of others talking about this.

The RAM limit is 80 MB. That's plenty for basic OS 9 use. Put 80 MB of RAM in there and you should be happy. If you are on a budget and you can't afford 48 MB, then you should consider putting OS 8.6 on it.

8.6 uses a little less memory than OS 9 and it can do nearly as much. Many programs that require 9 can also run in 8.6. There is even a hack that lets you run iTunes on OS 8 (Apple put in an OS check that prevents you from installing it on 8, even though it will technically work).

There are a few versions out there (which are very rare and sold only in Japan) that have a 240 MHz CPU instead of the 180 MHz. I think you can actually replace the 180 with the 240, if you can find one. Another option is to get a G3 upgrade. G3/240 processors are available, and there is even a rare, limited run G3/400 you might find if you want to spend an arm and a leg.

The 2400 is coveted by collectors and nostalgists, and thus it commands a very high price. It is the last of the Duo line, and until the dual USB iBook, it was the most powerful small notebook available from Apple. A lot of 2400 owners were certainly enjoying the mobility and they held off buying a new laptop until Apple came through with something just as good, and I bet a lot of them replaced them with dual USB iBooks. The 2400 usually costs a few hundred dollars or even more, depending on the condition and the specs. Usually they go for about the same price as a Wallstreet ($250-$500).

Hope this helps. Also, if you want a little insight into what the 2400 can become, look here:

<a href="http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/icomet/index.html"; target="_blank">http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/icomet/index.html</a>;

It's a custom painted, G3/400-upgraded 2400 with a lighted keyboard (not adjustable backlighting like the new PowerBook, but still cool), more RAM than the maximum, and a blue sleep indicator LED. What I wouldn't do to own that baby?

EDIT: One last thing. The keyboard on the 2400 is unique in that it's the only Apple laptop that has an inverted-T arrow key setup but still uses full sized keys for the arrow keys instead of those little half-sized ones.

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>