I'm On MY PC :(

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well my brother went back to college and so the computer in my room now is a PC

its not that bad, i mean i can put up with it for a while without committing suicide but who knows how long, is there a way to make Windows 98 look um...better?

i can hopeuflly keep up my posting but i feel like an ass on it...perhaps i just shoot myself now

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    That sucks. I too had an expierence like yours, but eventually it will get better.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I have to use WinNT4 at work.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    get gnu/linux. then u won't be supporting terror.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    We're getting a Lunix "super" computer at work soon.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    man, after nt 4.0 a computer running ANYTHING else would seem super.

• Reply 6 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    not only is it a PC, but its a

Pentium 1 (i think) 133MHz

32MB RAM

1GB HD

Windows 98

i know a company like aqua-soft.org used to make stuff to make windows look like os x, and i was just wondering if anyone knew of their website or software like it cuz i can't seem to find it
  • Reply 7 of 19
    1 word: Debian.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>man, after nt 4.0 a computer running ANYTHING else would seem super.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well we VMS machines too.

The Linux rack has 30 CPUs or something like that.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>

i know a company like aqua-soft.org used to make stuff to make windows look like os x, and i was just wondering if anyone knew of their website or software like it cuz i can't seem to find it</strong><hr></blockquote>

ugh i hate people like that and that gimp from stardock who bought a mac just so he could criticise it in his weblog and rip off the dock accurately

by the way theres no way anthing that makes your pc look osxy will run reasonably or

stable on that configuration
  • Reply 10 of 19
    i'll gladly run linux, i know enough to set it up i think, so what would you guys suggest as the best brand of linux?

I've never seen debian, is it good?

I only really know that i liked mandrake in action, never seen anything else
  • Reply 11 of 19
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member

<strong>not only is it a PC, but its a

Pentium 1 (i think) 133MHz

32MB RAM

1GB HD

Windows 98

i know a company like aqua-soft.org used to make stuff to make windows look like os x, and i was just wondering if anyone knew of their website or software like it cuz i can't seem to find it</strong><hr></blockquote>

There was a thread on this sometime back. Think Brad evaluated the OS X theme on the PC and he says it sucks big time and it is super slow.

In addition, your computer is really slow... So its not advisable. Meanwhile, endure!!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member

<strong>i'll gladly run linux, i know enough to set it up i think, so what would you guys suggest as the best brand of linux?

I've never seen debian, is it good?

I only really know that i liked mandrake in action, never seen anything else</strong><hr></blockquote>

debian is def'ly the best. but remember linux is a kernel. when u were running osx u probably weren't referring to it as darwin. gnu/linux is an os.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    yeah, i suppose i should be more careful with how i word things but i use terms losely, you'll have to forgive me

what OS will run fastest on this computer?

all i want is to be able to run an Instnat Messenger, email, browser, and P2P software

so what do i get an run, will linux run faster?

obviously i want a GUI, but i dont mind setting up linux wihtout one
  • Reply 14 of 19
    NM, i have a mac i can use now! god bless...the macs!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    You'd be best running debian or freebsd if you want speed with fluxbox a syour GUI, though these 2 arent the easiest distros to install, if you want a quick and painless install use mandrake, you'll be up in 30 mins on that machine and have bags of software to choose from, then you can save the cash you havent spent on winblows and get a mac. the old imacs dont cos much
  • Reply 16 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by cybermonkey:

<strong>You'd be best running debian or freebsd if you want speed with fluxbox a syour GUI, though these 2 arent the easiest distros to install, if you want a quick and painless install use mandrake, you'll be up in 30 mins on that machine and have bags of software to choose from, then you can save the cash you havent spent on winblows and get a mac. the old imacs dont cos much</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, well i finally got my one mac working because the HD got weird. I don't pay for MS stuff so i had Win98 already and already had installed FreeBSD on it before, but put windows on to run games for my sister now. I thank everyone for their responses, because only some of you know how painful it is to have to use a PC as ur main computer, and i only had to for 4 days haha.

I think I will put FreeBSD on a partition on the PC, because It would be nice to get more knowledgable with it since the mac i have can't run OS X
  • Reply 17 of 19
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by cybermonkey:

<strong>You'd be best running debian or freebsd if you want speed with fluxbox a syour GUI, though these 2 arent the easiest distros to install, if you want a quick and painless install use mandrake, you'll be up in 30 mins on that machine and have bags of software to choose from, then you can save the cash you havent spent on winblows and get a mac. the old imacs dont cos much</strong><hr></blockquote>

debian isn't that hard to install. a little more though-provoking than a mandrake/rh install, but the benefits of debian are worth the extra time--the best feature of debian: no bloat. mandrake is bloated with so much jolly X stuff i can barely stand it. also, debian has good package management, so installing/uninstalling isn't a pain. if you do debian, you'll be glad you did.

edit: did i mention i've installed new versions of debian (woody 3.0r0) on a 66mhz pc? worked fine. don't plan on kde/gnome though.

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: progmac ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>man, after nt 4.0 a computer running ANYTHING else would seem super.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I used NT4 at work to go web design- I HATED IT!!!!! No USB so no graphics tablet! And the company wouldn't buy Studio MX for my mac so I was screwed!

DIE WINDOWS DIE!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by tacojohn:

<strong>

I used NT4 at work to go web design- I HATED IT!!!!! No USB so no graphics tablet! And the company wouldn't buy Studio MX for my mac so I was screwed!

DIE WINDOWS DIE!!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

they make serial tablets...or used to