a while ago i posted that a friends house burned and she needed a new PC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
and i asked for help since she wanted a PC....i didn't push for her to get an apple, but with the new iLife and increasing compatibility and how "finished" os X is getting, i'm thinking of taking her down to compusa and having her play with the apple stuff there...her kid has PC's at school and that was kinda a issue, but i asked her what they use and she said word and powerpoint...so no big deal, they both work on PCs and macs....she only wanted to spend about 1200...so, who has an eMac and what do you think?? 700 G4 too slow? i doubt it as they would do instant messaging, email, surf the net and simple word processing mostly...

so eMac vs dell....should i push toward the mac or just help her pick a pc?? thanks g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I gave my sis my old iMac DV SE 400 and it runs Office, AOL, and the iApps just fine. An eMac would work great.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I would go with the emac. however, show her both, with the pros and cons of both. I think once she knows a little more about the Mac, she would go ahead and get one. The spam filtering, the great price on office, iapps, security, finally a fast browser. With the Dell, she is getting a familiar interface, though not too different from OS X, upgradeability to some degree, whether she will use it or not who knows. Games, though may not be important. Get the computer for her that does what she wants. She obviously doesn't need speed. But as a student, I can honestly say that the stability and ease of backup on the Mac has kept me faithful and able to sleep before finals.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Well, I assume the other thread helped out with determining what you can get for $1200 on the PC side. Show her the eMac, see if she likes it, and if she does see how long she can wait, just to see if any new iMacs/eMacs come out.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    1200 buys a lot of Dell. Tell her to get one of Apple's sweet books instead. 12" iBook 800. If she can get edu pricing I's get a 12" PB instead (about 1499 edu.)

If she's going for a desktop, then I say get the Dell. Laptop? look at the iBooks, see if you're willing to spend a bit more, look at the 12" PB too.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by ijerry:

<strong> the great price on office,.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, Office is a lot cheaper now, but I'd still hardly call the price "great".
  • Reply 6 of 15
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    don't worry, she will get a really great price on office....g
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    well if 50 bucks is too much per app, then I guess its not great, but I still feel it is great, considering the options. I am sure she will get a great price for office g.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>If she can get edu pricing I's get a 12" PB instead (about 1499 edu.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just out of curiosity, how many edu places have the 12" PB at $1499? I know UF has standard edu pricing, which is $1699.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    university of NM has the 12 pb for 1499 and 1679 for superdrive...g
  • Reply 10 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by MCQ:

<strong>

Just out of curiosity, how many edu places have the 12" PB at $1499? I know UF has standard edu pricing, which is $1699.</strong><hr></blockquote>

All the schools that I checked on Apple's site were $1699 too.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    it must be because we are such a poor freakin state...university of new mexico....1499....yeah baby....g

maybe it is an apple glitch...

will take a screen shot when i get home on my mac

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 15
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    $1499 at the University of Illinois

<a href="http://www.cstores.uiuc.edu/cgi/price.dbr?UCS0"; target="_blank">http://www.cstores.uiuc.edu/cgi/price.dbr?UCS0</a>;

Too bad I don't go to school there anymore. Hopefully Michigan will also follow with the $1499 price...
  • Reply 13 of 15

g
  • Reply 14 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Yep, I got (am getting -- hurry up gosh darnit) mine for the equivalent of 1499USD. Unfortunately we can't get any edu price at all on the superdrive. For 1679, I'd have taken one, but not for 1999.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by gyc:

<strong>$1499 at the University of Illinois

<a href="http://www.cstores.uiuc.edu/cgi/price.dbr?UCS0"; target="_blank">http://www.cstores.uiuc.edu/cgi/price.dbr?UCS0</a>;

Too bad I don't go to school there anymore. Hopefully Michigan will also follow with the $1499 price...</strong><hr></blockquote>

GO BIG TEN!

The price is $1499 at Penn State University (Est 1855 ) too.

That office app is nice gelding, especially for free...get the eMac.