Forum Problem (It's Very Serious)

Posted:
in Feedback
Forum Gods of AppleInsider;

I go and copy a quote by a member in a forum thread.  I use that copy in a message to that particular user.  I find NO area to respond to that quote.  Why?  That is so stupid.  Seems like your forum server has some serious problems.

Please rectify.

Just to let you know peacefully, I am at my wit's end being a caregiver to my dad for the last several months and don't like being crapped on.  FIX THE STUPID FORUM SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!

My configuration:  Mac Pro 5,1 running macOS 10.13.6, Safari version 11.1.2

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Macseeker PM’d me about this, and I’ll just repeat what I said to him here so that other users can see my workaround for this.

(1) When you have something already typed in your post and go to add a new quote box, hit return to get a new line (after this line of text), then choose the quote option from the menu.
    (3) Then you can click in the quote box to paste in that section of their comment. After which you can continue typing below.
    (2) Then click DOWN HERE FIRST, so that your cursor reappears (because it will refuse to appear if you only click in the empty quote box).

(4) If the forum software’s formatting for merely responding to another user’s separate points is prohibitively confusing, people won’t use it. Least of all to do multiquotes. And discussions will, consequently, suffer. If not only because people are simply confused as to which part of a quote is replying to which part of their post, then because the discussion just won’t be had at all, because some might see it as “too difficult” to distinguish the points.

Cheers, everyone.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. If the last word/character of your section (1) above has any sort of text formatting applied to it (bold, italic, underline, etc.), then the subsequent quote box will probably just be broken entirely. You’ll have to CLEAR the formatting from the text at the end of the line (easy way is to do a bunch of spaces after the last word, select the spaces, and then remove the formatting) and then add a new quote box.
    edited August 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Just click the </> button and start typing your message after the blockquote.  You can switch back to normal mode and your text will be in the right place.
    edited August 2018 svanstrom
  • Reply 3 of 7
    " like a whatever."
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I'd hardly say that's "very serious"....
    Drama much?
    svanstrom
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,540member
    terrible. What is the world coming to?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I like simple to use forums.  Right now my mind is with my dad's recovery.  He nearly died from an abdominal infection.  The infection left him severely weak.  He had to be retrained to get out of bed, get dressed, walk, and use the bathroom.  He has been in a rehab for more than a month.

When one is distracted by one's parent not doing well, it's hard to convey one's thoughts when the forum software really isn't user friendly.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,540member
    With all that’s going on, you have my utmost sympathy. 

With all respect:
    Quoting issues on an Internet forum may be aggravating, but they are far from being a real issue in anybody’s life other than that of the forum software developers’ — and least of all, yours. 

I am glad to hear that your dad is on the mend.