Replaced old drive. Music gone! Please help

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Hello. I have a macbook that I cloned and replaced the original hard drive with a much larger one because space was getting limited on the old drive. I had a lot of music on the original drive and since using the machine with the new one i had added a lot more. Now the larger replacement drive has failed completely (won't mount) so having still had the original drive I re-installed it on the machine and its working well.
Except...
When I opened iTunes the program worked well with all my original files on there. All the old stuff I had there.
Then... iTunes automatically updated to the latest version... more and more albums ended up on the lists ... BUT ... none of them play!
I cannot find any of the files anywhere!
The macintosh HD is showing nearly full (id say mostly itunes music) but theyre nowhere to be found.
Ive tried swapping out the .itl files as apple support recommends but to no avail! I haven't touched the original files nor accidentally deleted them... I believe they're still on the drive somewhere but the damn thing wont see them!
 I have an old time machine backup on an external HD but this shows nothing either when I connected it.
I have a copy of disk drill pro and a quick scan shows up nothing. Im running a deep scan but its not looking promising.
There is a ton of space used up on the HD but its not showing as audio.
Please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    mimac said:
    The macintosh HD is showing nearly full (id say mostly itunes music) but theyre nowhere to be found.
    Ive tried swapping out the .itl files as apple support recommends but to no avail! I haven't touched the original files nor accidentally deleted them... I believe they're still on the drive somewhere but the damn thing wont see them!
    I have an old time machine backup on an external HD but this shows nothing either when I connected it.
    I have a copy of disk drill pro and a quick scan shows up nothing. Im running a deep scan but its not looking promising.
    There is a ton of space used up on the HD but its not showing as audio.
    The following app will show everything on the drive by size:

https://diskwave.barthe.ph

In preferences, enable hidden files. If it shows where the music is, you can move the broken iTunes library out with iTunes closed, create a new one by opening iTunes and drag the folder of music in.

If you find a music folder somewhere you can also try to set the iTunes preferences > advanced > iTunes media folder location.