Review: AirSnap helps protect your AirPods at a cost

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Protecting the AirPods case from scratching can be problematic. Twelve South thinks that they have a solution with the AirSnap leather pouch.

AirSnap

All around earbud protection

AirSnap from Twelve South is the latest accessory aimed at protecting and traveling with AirPods, Apple's diminutive wireless earbuds. It is a leather sleeve that securely holds the AirPods case that can easily attach to any backpack or bag while on-the-go.

It is a stiff leather, which seems very similar to the leather used on the Relaxed Leather line of cases, though perhaps a tad thicker. Without the AirPods, AirSnap still holds its shape.

On top of AirSnap is a mini carabiner-type clip, perfect for attaching to whichever bag you happen to be toting along. Not only is this handy for keeping track of them, it makes them more available rather than keepimg them in our pocket or buried in our bag.

The clasp is a bit on the small side, and we had an issue getting it onto the straps of some of our bags, but we just had to opt for a different anchor point in this situations.

AirSnap

As a downside, the paint covering the front snap seems to fleck off rather easily. Before we even had a chance to use AirSnap, there were already noticeable silver spots showing the metal underneath.

For anyone who wants it to stay more pristine, this can be a major dig. On the other hand, as a leather case, it really develops a great look as it wears and the weathered snap and clip could lend itself to the aesthetic.

We were initially worried about having to charge our AirPods while wearing AirSnap. Sure, when the wireless charging case launches we won't need to plug them in, but until then, we are tethered by a Lightning cable. We were pleasantly surprised to see Twelve South thought of this with an easy to access opening right on the bottom.

AirSnap

In our experience, our pocket, with keys and coins is where the AirPods case gets damaged the most t is unfortunate how large AirSnap is because, with the case on, you can't really slip them into your pocket comfortably.

AirSnap comes in three different colors -- black, tan, and a wonderful blue option -- all for $29.99 apiece. We are torn on this price -- having a case is extremely handy. It makes them more accessible while at the same time tethering and protecting them. It is also made out of quality leather, which never comes cheap.

At the same time, a leather sleeve for your wireless earbuds seems a bit excessive and $30 feels a bit high, especially when it can't realistically fit in your pocket.

We can't quibble with the quality of materials and the overall craftsmanship of the AirSnap. However, was a whole, it seems like an over-engineered solution to a problem that takes too much away from the user and add enough.

For most users, the AirSnap gets a:

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

However, if you have specifically been looking for a leather case with a clip for your AirPods, and don't ever want to put it in your pocket, this is the accessory for you.

AirSnap

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Who cares about the luster of the case if you seldom are going to see if it's in the pouch?
    bloggerblogwilliamlondonrandominternetperson
  • Reply 2 of 22
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Protecting the AirPods case from scratching can be problematic

It's also a non problem. Who the fuck cares for their airpod case being scratched?

Things get scratched. It adds a nice patina to them. It's part of life. People are going to replace their airpods in 3 4 years or so anyway.

StrangeDayspscooter63bloggerblogwilliamlondonrandominternetperson
  • Reply 3 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    So let me get this straight - we're supposed to buy a case... to protect a case? And then the paint on the snap gets scratched!!! now we need a case for our case for our case...
    backstabStrangeDayspscooter63bloggerblogsvanstrommwhitewilliamlondonrandominternetpersonkingofsomewherehotivanh
  • Reply 4 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    $30 isn’t too high for a quality leather good. However the use case for this product is suspect. The entire point of the AP is how convenient they are, they fit into a pocket without a thought and the curved case design is no accident, you barely can tell they’re there. This, not so much.

So whether a case for a case makes sense, the market will decide. Don’t imagine people reselling APs and needing the case pristine. But I also think a case on the Watch is ridiculous which perhaps one resells. 
    edited August 2018 svanstromwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    foljs said:
    Protecting the AirPods case from scratching can be problematic

It's also a non problem. Who the fuck cares for their airpod case being scratched?

Things get scratched. It adds a nice patina to them. It's part of life. People are going to replace their airpods in 3 4 years or so anyway.

Agreed. 

On longevity - I’ve had mine since day 1 in december ‘16 when they came out. Work great and i love em, but the battery life has diminished. I can only get an hour of cell talk time instead of the 2.5 (5 hours is for audio streaming only). I’m going to have to send them in for battery service soon, if they offer it. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    I really like the leather case, but I don’t like the AirPods (i prefer in air sealing to blend out the surrounding noise)
  • Reply 7 of 22
    We all know that Apple products aren't actually supposed to be USED. They're intended to be purchased and DISPLAYED under glass cases in your home.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    We desperately need a pouch for this pouch so that the pouch doesn’t get scratched.
    williamlondonking editor the grate
  • Reply 9 of 22
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I lost my AirPods, so did my coworker, which actually made me feel better that I wasn't the only one. I think this would be very useful because I could just hang it off my backpack or belt. So when I'm done using my pods, instead of leaving their case on a desk in some meeting room, I could just as well put them in the case that's dangling off my backpack, or belt.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    So… the AirPods that I keep in my jeans pocket without thinking twice about it are now supposed to go into a case, and then attached outside of a bag for easy access… to rain and snow?

Don't get me wrong, I'd actually love to attach them on the outside of my bag; but irl this seems to just attract thieves and weather damage.
    williamlondonrandominternetperson
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I opted to purchase the simple molded silicone case for my AirPods. It doesn’t attach to anything but it protects the sleek plastic charger case. It fits in my pocket although it doesn’t just slide in and out. I love my AirPods and wouldn’t want anything different ( until Apple comes up with something better). I am not someone who is careless and am always extremely careful not to lose them. I don’t believe it necessary to spend $30 for such an overkill item as a heavy leather case.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    ARMIHIKEARMIHIKE Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Yeah I don’t see a need to protect the case , as far as I’m concerned, the case protects the AirPods and that’s all I need , because next  we’ll be talking about protecting  the leather case that protects the case that protects the AirPods

, you’re already pointing out the snap that is flaking off paint on the leather case

and by the way the article I read ends with 
    WHERE TO BUY , but doesn’t actually say or give a link on where to buy 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think better than protecting them from scratching, this offers you a place to keep your AirPods handy, and decreases the likelihood of misplacing or losing them. Like a karabiner for keys.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Well I've got an embarrassing story about these things.

I too thought "a case for your case" was silly, but I'm also prone to losing things, so I picked up a similar silicone rubber one last winter. Spent most of its time clipped to my laptop bag, occasionally attached to my keys.

One day I removed the silicone case so I could show it to a friend. Then I got distracted, put the AirPods down somewhere, and immediately lost them.

Of course I picked up a new set of AirPods. The silicone case wore out so I picked up one of these (actually, a knock-off that beat them to market by a couple months; sorry 12-South). The hook is indeed a little fiddly. There's a useless hole on the back for the "resync bluetooth" button, looks bad and would be easier to depress if the hole wasn't even there. Otherwise looks great, durable, lots of folks ask me where they can buy one. Everyone in my family will be getting one in their stocking this Christmas. 4/5 starz

(There are other leather cases that kind of look like diapers, and have the hook on the back instead of on top, and I don't understand how some of these product designers have jobs)
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    $30 isn’t too high for a quality leather good. However the use case for this product is suspect. The entire point of the AP is how convenient they are, they fit into a pocket without a thought and the curved case design is no accident, you barely can tell they’re there. This, not so much.

So whether a case for a case makes sense, the market will decide. Don’t imagine people reselling APs and needing the case pristine. But I also think a case on the Watch is ridiculous which perhaps one resells. 
    $5.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    MplsP said:
    So let me get this straight - we're supposed to buy a case... to protect a case? And then the paint on the snap gets scratched!!! now we need a case for our case for our case...
    Agreed. I can’t make a case for that.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Well I've got an embarrassing story about these things.
    […]

One day I removed the silicone case so I could show it to a friend. Then I got distracted, put the AirPods down somewhere, and immediately lost them.
    Nothing embarrassing about that; basically you'd trained your brain to not have to worry about your AirPods… so… it didn't.

If you hadn't had that case you would have been more careful about where you placed your AirPods; so… hey… it was your case that made you lose your AirPods.  :D

In a way the manufacturers of all these cases make their living simply because people give in to their fears of their stuff not being "protected"; and the more they give in to their fears, the harder it is to stop being neurotic about everything.

If a person needs a case they def should get one, but often it's just whatifism/fomo making us waste money on crap.
    edited August 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 22
    less about neurosis than cognitive overload, decision fatigue, etc. I got enough shit to think about, I set up stuff to "just take care of itself." 
  • Reply 19 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    No way would I pay for $30 for a case for my AirPods. I am thinking about getting a silicone case for them as the factory case can be a little slippery on occasion. Otherwise they live in a pocket well enough. Speaking only for myself, I really don't know what I'd clip them to that would make it more convenient for me than just keeping them in my pocket.

It's actually setting them down somewhere at home that's the problem. Maybe a bright yellow case with an RFID tag. 
  • Reply 20 of 22
    The "hinge" on the silicone case will wear out in about six months. The ones with the, uh, ladyparts flap on top, they might last a bit longer.