Poll...Web pages: are they documents or mini-apps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Think about it for awhile...forums like this one could be considered an app running inside an app (the browser).

So what do you say, document or app?

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: kim kap sol ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    if the forum uses scripts and html files, then it's both.

most webpages are just documents, or mainly just documents.

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: Kecksy ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It depends. My website is a mini-app, with logic and interactivity. I think that's the key. If it's dynamic (like forums) then it's an app because each page doesn't exist on its own. There is no document called "index.php" on my site. It's actually a conglomeration of stuff depending on a bunch of variables. Of course, most stuff on the web is static and in that case, I'd say they are documents.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    If a HTML file requires a certain amount of Dynamic or DataBase interactivity, then it can be classifieds as an app. Which in turn would need an aplication server or environment (PHP with Apache and PHP, ASP with IIS, CFM with ColdFusion ... and a datasource of course, ODBC, SQL, Oracle, MySQL etc.)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    You kind of answer it in your question. A web page is a document. Despite how it was generated, it still remains a document. Even if this document contains scripting, scripting is not an application. It is a script. And scripts come from documents.

Even a site like this is made up of a lot of documents. All the HTML on this site comes from documents. Even the stuff generated by UBB, because UBB is written in Perl, and Perl is a scripting language. And we all know where scripts come from... documents! In essence, the script itself cannot execute itself without the help of something else.

An entire web site though.. that could be comprised of documents and applications...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    What is an application, after all, but a document describing a series of instructions and data to a platform (which is a document, describing instructions and data to a lower platform, and so on down to the hardware)?

• Reply 6 of 7
    touché
  • Reply 7 of 7
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    touchee

Mini-apps would be like navigating a world through Watson or Java Apps.....