Does a DDR iMac make sense?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just wonder if Apple could add DDR support to its middle-range line (aka iMac), like on the forthcoming PM. When does it actually make sense to have DDR instead of common 133 SDRAM?

Is it just an utopia for MWNY?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    [quote]Originally posted by XBluechip:

<strong>I just wonder if Apple could add DDR support to its middle-range line (aka iMac), like on the forthcoming PM. When does it actually make sense to have DDR instead of common 133 SDRAM?

Is it just an utopia for MWNY?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It makes sense to do it about a year ago. I hear that the delay is caused by the G4 chip itself. I think that the iMac will get DDR at the same time that the towers get it, or maybe the revision after.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    nein
  • Reply 3 of 3
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Sure.

Remember, there are (currently) two popular speeds of DDR with across-the-board support: one is a clock-doubled 133MHz bus, and the other is a clock-doubled 166MHz bus (there's also, AFAIK, one based on a 100MHz bus). So Apple could make it work simply by maintaining the distinction in bus/memory speed they have now, and doubling all the clocks: all machines would use the same memory technology, just as they do now, but iMacs would use the slower memory, and PowerMacs the faster memory - just like they do now. (I'm not going into busses because it's not yet a given that Apple will continue using a system bus synchonized to RAM speeds.)