Logitech Crayon for iPad to reach general public on Sept. 12

Posted:
in iPad
Logitech's Crayon stylus, previously restricted just to educational buyers, will finally reach a wider audience on Sept. 12, the same day as Apple's iPhone event.

Logitech Crayon and iPad

The product will be available through Apple stores on that date, Logitech said. It should also come to Apple and Logitech's websites this month, and reach third-party vendors in October.

Non-educational pricing will be $69.99, $20 more than the stylus costs through Apple's educational portal. Schools outside the U.S. and Canada will get access at a similar discount soon, according to the company.

The Crayon is based on the same technology as the Apple Pencil, giving it an advantage over other iPad styluses in terms of response. It also enables automatic palm rejection, and controlling line thickness by adjusting tilt. However, the Apple Pencil's pressure sensitivity is absent.

The accessory is designed exclusively for the 2018 "budget" iPad. In fact it was originally announced alongside it, sold as a more affordable way of introducing styluses into schools than the $99 Apple Pencil, which also works with iPad Pros.

The Crayon has a 7-hour battery recharged via Lightning cable. Replaceable tips are available to cope with wear and tear.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cheeselercheeseler Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Anyone else think the 12th is too coincidental? I hope the larger iPhone XS (don't call it Max, Apple, the name sucks) supports this and the Apple Pencil
    stompyMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    cheeseler said:
    Anyone else think the 12th is too coincidental? I hope the larger iPhone XS (don't call it Max, Apple, the name sucks) supports this and the Apple Pencil
    Yeah I think you are right but I do not think it will support the current apple pencil. The logic does not use blue tooth, it uses its own connection protocol. This might make it easier for apple to include support in the iPhone XS max https://www.imore.com/logitech-crayon
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I was hoping that this could be used by those who can’t afford the Pencil, but that’s not true.

the first is that the price is too much higher. In ARS, an article about this stated that the price is “slightly” higher, but it’s not, it’s 40% higher. $20 is a lot when the starting price is $49.

then the lack of pressure sensitivity is a killer. While, yes, tilt can change the width of lines, and that’s useful, it’s not enough for a number of uses, and kills it for them.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    melgross said:
    I was hoping that this could be used by those who can’t afford the Pencil, but that’s not true.

the first is that the price is too much higher. In ARS, an article about this stated that the price is “slightly” higher, but it’s not, it’s 40% higher. $20 is a lot when the starting price is $49.

then the lack of pressure sensitivity is a killer. While, yes, tilt can change the width of lines, and that’s useful, it’s not enough for a number of uses, and kills it for them.
    So you want the same features as the Pencil, without having to pay the price of the Pencil. Uh huh. 

This is 30 bucks cheaper than the Pencil, almost two-thirds the price. That will incur some feature limitations. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    melgross said:

So you want the same features as the Pencil, without having to pay the price of the Pencil. Uh huh. 

This is 30 bucks cheaper than the Pencil, almost two-thirds the price. That will incur some feature limitations. 
    Don’t be so sure. The pencil is a first generation product. Often, they cost more to pay off the R&D. If I said that I wanted most of the features of an iPad Pro 9.7”, but for $329, you might say the same thing, but we pretty much got it, at half the price.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobrasracer
  • Reply 6 of 10
    cheeseler said:
     Given the purpose and scope of the Logitech Crayon I think it is nothing more than Logitech latching on to the date since most eyes will be looking at Apple (and Apple-related) products.  The sizes of both the Apple Pencil and Logitech Crayon make them impractical to use on a phone. But I think there is a great possibility that the technology in the Crayon may be refined over time to allow it to fit within a stylus that IS practical to use.  Either way, it will be very interesting. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

Don’t be so sure. The pencil is a first generation product. Often, they cost more to pay off the R&D. If I said that I wanted most of the features of an iPad Pro 9.7”, but for $329, you might say the same thing, but we pretty much got it, at half the price.
    But the new Crayon is *already* dropping $30 from the Pencil. That's the gift. It won't have *all* of the features of the Pencil at this lowered price just as the $329 iPad doesn't have *all* of the features of the iPad Pro, despite the gift of its lower price.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    cheeseler said:
    I don't see a lot of people using the Crayon with an iPhone ... but, I have been wondering if Apple might be planning to update the Pencil given the timing of this announcement. It's been 3 years since the Pencil was launched, though I'm not sure exactly what kind of update they could really do to make it more compelling than it is. If they did, though, the original Pencil could be offered for a lower amount giving Apple a way to compete with Logitech in all but the lowest end of the market.

If the new iPhone gets Pencil support, then maybe a new shorter Pencil with the same features an battery life?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

But the new Crayon is *already* dropping $30 from the Pencil. That's the gift. It won't have *all* of the features of the Pencil at this lowered price just as the $329 iPad doesn't have *all* of the features of the iPad Pro, despite the gift of its lower price.
    The Crayon is obviously intended for a less sophisticated user. A major function was eliminated. So for $30 less, you get much shorter battery life, and no pressure sensing. We don’t yet really know how well it works, though I think someone recently provided a review, which I’ll have to look for.

i didn’t say I want the same features on this. I’m not price sensitive. I am saying that Apple might have a 2nd gen Pencil, and it’s possible that they could lower the price. As I said, often 2nd gen products cost less, and are often better. Hopefully we will find out in a few days, if as some have said, at least 1 new phone gets to use Apple’s stylus, or perhaps a similar one, or even this one.
  • Reply 10 of 10

mac_128 said:
    cheeseler said:
    I don't see a lot of people using the Crayon with an iPhone ... but, I have been wondering if Apple might be planning to update the Pencil given the timing of this announcement. It's been 3 years since the Pencil was launched, though I'm not sure exactly what kind of update they could really do to make it more compelling than it is. If they did, though, the original Pencil could be offered for a lower amount giving Apple a way to compete with Logitech in all but the lowest end of the market.

If the new iPhone gets Pencil support, then maybe a new shorter Pencil with the same features an battery life?
    What I would like to see in a Pencil II, is the elimination of the removable cap, which can get lost, with some fixed cover that slides down, and opens at the end.

i’d also like to see some kind of clip that’s either built-in (best), or slide on. 

I’d also like to see more than 256 levels.

and last, I’d like the thing to be a bit shorter. I put a clip on mine, and carry it in my pocket, but it’s too long. Shirt pockets were designed for pens, not pencils. A full length Pencil is just too long, and sticks out too much. Take an inch, or a bit more off, and it would be perfect.
    edited September 2018 sracer