Satechi ships new wired & wireless aluminum keyboards for desktop Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Accessory maker Satechi on Thursday released a pair of new keyboards for the iMac and other desktop Mac systems.

Satechi wired keyboard

Both sport an Apple-like aluminum chassis and a complete layout, including a numeric keypad. Satechi also touts "responsive" scissor-switch keys, and Mac-specific function keys for media playback, switching apps, and controlling brightness.

The Aluminum USB Wired Keyboard comes with a USB Type-A cable. The Aluminum Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard features a USB-C port, but just for recharging its battery, which supports up to 80 hours of active use or 100 days of standby.

The two keyboards are available today in silver for $59.99 and $79.99. Three iPhone-themed colors -- namely gold, rose gold, and space gray -- can only be preordered, but should be ready by the end of September.
Gladget

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Nice design, decent price. Shame it doesn't appear to come in a UK/European layout.
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    @cogitodexter they are releasing a UK/European layout as well as many other layouts. Next time just ask them! They responded to me about it within an hour of emailing them. 
    olsAsParallelirelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 180member
    Has anyone used their keyboards before? I do honestly love the Apple keyboards... but this looks to be 100€ cheaper and more importantly... supports bluetooth switching to multiple devices.
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 180member
    Gladget said:
    They responded to me about it within an hour of emailing them. 
    They responded to me incredibly quick as well... rather impressive I think
    olsGladgetwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Backslash key is missing. Looks like they printed the key cap wrong. It has a closing square bracket ] which makes two of them. Also, it has small return, shift, delete, command keys.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Looks nice. If I didn’t already have a nice solar powered Logitech one I’d consider this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    If "controlling brightness" refers to screen brightness and not keyboard backlighting, then that's a deal-breaker.  I absolutely need a backlit keyboard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    mretondo said:
    Backslash key is missing. Looks like they printed the key cap wrong. It has a closing square bracket ] which makes two of them. Also, it has small return, shift, delete, command keys.
    I asked them about that. Looks like that was a mistake in the promo photos. The actual keyboard has a vertical line and backslash on that key (not another closing square bracket)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ipilya said:
    Gladget said:
    They responded to me about it within an hour of emailing them. 
    They responded to me incredibly quick as well... rather impressive I think
    Very impressive. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    They better included USB A to C adapter if they aim at Apple 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I herd you Apple users like rounded corners.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    still looking for a nice-looking backlit Mac keyboard for decent price. seems like a black whole, sadly
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,384member
    Nice design, decent price. Shame it doesn't appear to come in a UK/European layout.
    When it does I will absolutely buy this. It appeals to me to no end. This is the direction Apple should be looking to go design wise with their MBP keyboard. Tactility!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,384member
    Gladget said:
    @cogitodexter they are releasing a UK/European layout as well as many other layouts. Next time just ask them! They responded to me about it within an hour of emailing them. 
    When, when??
  • Reply 15 of 17
    macguimacgui Posts: 848member
    Very nice looking keyboards, but I too won't be buying another keyboard anytime soon, unless it's backlit.

I can type by touch fairly well, but I'm not a touch typist. If Satechi ever releases that BT, I'll get one. I might even be willing to trade the 10-key for backlighting, though I'd rather not.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,299member
    If I hadn’t bought the space grey keyboard recently, I would but one of these.

• Reply 17 of 17
    the wired one doesn't have 2 USB ports like apple's old wired model or most of the competition... otherwise it looks great.