6.1-inch LCD 'iPhone Xc' might have limited availability at launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
A new report suggests that the lower-cost LCD "iPhone Xc" could only be available in limited quantities because of marketing and technology concerns.

'iPhone Xc' colors -- photo courtesy Slashleaks
'iPhone Xc' colors -- photo courtesy Slashleaks

With the "Gather round" Sept. 12 nearly here, multiple reports discussing the features and capabilities of Apple's new devices are becoming more prevalent. The most recent one is from Mark Gurman at Bloomberg.

Most of the report reiterates what has already been reported in the past, like cost ranges, and phone sizes. However, the report suggests that there is a "tight supply" of the new LCD model.

The theory behind the potential constraints are based on two factors, according to the report. It had been suggested in July that light leakage around the LCD has been causing problems, and the current report suggests that there are "minor complications fitting backlights" in the new model.

Also cited by the report is Goldman Sachs' Rod Hall, claiming that Apple may be want to hold back on the device to see how well that the OLED flagships will do prior to making it available.

Over the weekend, there were two reports claiming that the name "iPhone Xc" has been selected for Apple's lower-cost LCD-equipped iPhone. The first time, it was spotted on Chinese social media, allegedly included in a China Mobile presentation about the new devices.

The LCD model has been long rumored to launch in different colors. Ming-Chi Kuo predicted in July that the device would ship potentially ship in gray, white, blue, red, and orange case colors.

Apple's "Gather round" event on Sept. 12 will put all the rumors to rest. Beyond just a new trio of iPhones, the event may see a refresh of the iPad Pro, and possibly new Macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    “Limited availability at launch” is a phrase I never expected to see for an Apple product!
    gatorguyanantksundarampscooter63s.metcalflarryaanton zuykovJaiOh81
  • Reply 2 of 21
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    So, light leakage is back as a production problem, eh?   Let the launch FUD begin!
    JaiOh81
  • Reply 3 of 21
    We've been hearing for months that the LED full screen phone might be delayed because of production problems.   So, nothing to see here folks!

But, calling it the Xc?
    Here come all the speculation over what the "c" stands for.   Does anybody vote for "cHEAP"?

Deja Vu....
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 21
    "Tight Supply"?
    When has an Apple product not been in "Tight Supply" at launch?
    pscooter63anton zuykovJaiOh81
  • Reply 5 of 21
    This is how it works:
    tyler82appleismymiddlename
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Not that any of the iPhone models will be a big leap over last year’s offerings (it is an “s” year), I’m still getting the 6.5” top of the line model along with the new Apple Watch.
    supadav03
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Is it only me, or "XC" is really hard to pronounce?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I am not concern of supply constraints but features and price it carries. Supply can always be ramp up.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    I’ve got bad eyes so I can’t tell if they 3rd phone is a midnight blue or black in the photo. If it’s midnight blue it will make it tough for me. Was expecting to upgrade to the “XS Plus” but I’ve always wanted a midnight blue phone since the mock ups released of a midnight blue iPhone 7.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Limited supply plus high demand usually means higher prices. This is good for Apples margins.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Already tears for fears there will be no Mini iPhone model on Wednesday.
    Old Sparky SE will have to hang on a while longer. (sniff...)😢
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 12 of 21
    bluefire1 said:
    Not that any of the iPhone models will be a big leap over last year’s offerings (it is an “s” year), I’m still getting the 6.5” top of the line model along with the new Apple Watch.
    I thought last year was the "s-year"? 

2012 iPhone 5 - 2013 iPhone 5S
    2014 iPhone 6 - 2015 iPhone 6S
    2016 iPhone 7 - 2017 iPhone 7S 8
    2018 iPhone ?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    backstab said:
    Although I'm not in the market for one, I think there will be an SE revision at some point.

Months back there were mock ups of an SE with notch. They looked absolutely gorgeous and I know lots of people like a smaller form factor.
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 21
    bluefire1 said:
    The "S" year does not mean a lack of development and progress.   Actually, the "S" years have seen some of the biggest advances.   It just means the external form factor remains essentially the same.
    bb-15
  • Reply 15 of 21
    backstab said:
    The SE was introduced in a non-iPhone event.  It will likely be upgraded I would think the same way.
    atomic101JaiOh81
  • Reply 16 of 21
    adm1 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    I thought last year was the "s-year"? 

2012 iPhone 5 - 2013 iPhone 5S
    2014 iPhone 6 - 2015 iPhone 6S
    2016 iPhone 7 - 2017 iPhone 7S 8
    2018 iPhone ?
    It would have been an "S" year.  Except being the tenth anniversary, they went all out on the X.   They have said that full screen format without the homebutton is the future -- which makes the 5, 6, 7 and 8 lines the walking dead.  We just don't know how far the walk is to the execution chamber.

That makes it the "S" year for the X line.
    bb-15JaiOh81
  • Reply 17 of 21
    backstab said:
    The SE was introduced in a non-iPhone event.  It will likely be upgraded I would think the same way.
    Apple already has a lot on its plate with 3 new phone models, a new watch, and possibly new iPads. I would imagine an SE event could happen in the winter months. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 21
    might have limited availability at launch due to technology concerns
    Oh gawd, that limited availability curse strikes again..
    Oh the huge manatee...
    edited September 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 21
    avon b7 said:
    backstab said:
    Although I'm not in the market for one, I think there will be an SE revision at some point.

Months back there were mock ups of an SE with notch. They looked absolutely gorgeous and I know lots of people like a smaller form factor.
    Yes, I think 'probably'(?) as well.
    I just want it nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...!!!
    JaiOh81
  • Reply 20 of 21
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    avon b7 said:
    backstab said:

Those mockups were outrageously hott!