iPhone XS has 4GB of RAM, 2.49 GHz A12 chip according to benchmarks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    Soli said:
    bsimpsen said:
    maestro64 said:
    Very few people today care about what is inside. People stopped check list buying habits a long time ago. Only the geeks care and even then it really does not matter on an Apple product what is inside. People just look at the overall experience and call it a day.
    disagree - I think even casual users have become more hip to the specs and upgraded internals are a selling point not just for geeks.
    Since the specs don't reflect real world performance, you're suggesting that casual users have become more "hip" to useless information. I might have to agree.
    These specs do represent real world performance. If the A12 was clocked lower the device would be slower. If the device had half the RAM the device would be slower for anything that required more caching. What can't be determined is looking at two disparate chips from different vendors and determine which one has faster real world speeds based on looking at just clock speed, RAM, or other very simple and incomplete specs.

I agree with @maestro64 that the vast majority don't care about this stuff. On top of that, I'd argue that the vast majority that do care don't know enough to understand just how many parts need to be considered to get a solid understanding of the SoC. I'll be honest, I read AnandTech and love getting into the in-depth reports of their chip analysis, but I'm still very much a layman.
    If people do not believe me, go do you own survey of the general user base, do not ask someone who works in technology. Ask  general population what processor is in their iPhone, or how much DRAM, I will give you most know the amount of Flash memory since this has direct correlation to their user experience which is how many apps and picture they can keep in on their phone. I highly doubt they know the screen type of resolution. The Era of Intel inside is long gone where people know the processor in their PC.

Most people know they has an iPhone # and how it performs beyond this they have no idea what is inside the phone.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,863member
    maestro64 said:
    Soli said:
    bsimpsen said:
    maestro64 said:
    Very few people today care about what is inside. People stopped check list buying habits a long time ago. Only the geeks care and even then it really does not matter on an Apple product what is inside. People just look at the overall experience and call it a day.
    disagree - I think even casual users have become more hip to the specs and upgraded internals are a selling point not just for geeks.
    Since the specs don't reflect real world performance, you're suggesting that casual users have become more "hip" to useless information. I might have to agree.
    These specs do represent real world performance. If the A12 was clocked lower the device would be slower. If the device had half the RAM the device would be slower for anything that required more caching. What can't be determined is looking at two disparate chips from different vendors and determine which one has faster real world speeds based on looking at just clock speed, RAM, or other very simple and incomplete specs.

I agree with @maestro64 that the vast majority don't care about this stuff. On top of that, I'd argue that the vast majority that do care don't know enough to understand just how many parts need to be considered to get a solid understanding of the SoC. I'll be honest, I read AnandTech and love getting into the in-depth reports of their chip analysis, but I'm still very much a layman.
    If people do not believe me, go do you own survey of the general user base, do not ask someone who works in technology. Ask  general population what processor is in their iPhone, or how much DRAM, I will give you most know the amount of Flash memory since this has direct correlation to their user experience which is how many apps and picture they can keep in on their phone. I highly doubt they know the screen type of resolution. The Era of Intel inside is long gone where people know the processor in their PC.

Most people know they has an iPhone # and how it performs beyond this they have no idea what is inside the phone.
    One thing I do every time someone wants to buy a new device is walking them through two to check the capacity of their device, how much they'll using now, and how to gauge how much they will probably need in the next couple years. From my experience, the general user doesn't even know how much storage they have. They also don't understand what that value means in terms of usability, where to check it, or that the OS takes up a good part of it on their iPhone.