Apple focuses on size with 'Illusion' ad for iPhone XS & XS Max

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
Apple on Saturday uploaded the first TV-length ad for the iPhone XS and XS Max to YouTube, dubbed "Illusion."

Apple iPhone XS

The ad was first seen during Apple's Sept. 12 press event, and features gold versions of the phones against a stark black background with a magic theme. It doesn't delve into any depth about the phones' features however, except to highlight the size of their OLED displays with the slogan "Welcome to the big screens."

While the iPhone XS is the same size as its predecessor, the 5.8-inch iPhone X, the XS Max is Apple's biggest phone ever at 6.5 inches. That's 0.1 inches larger than the Samsung Galaxy Note 9, and 1.4 inches off the size of the iPad mini 4.

The XS is in most respects faster version of the iPhone X, but does have other upgrades like dual-SIM support and significantly improved photography, including better low-light performance and processing enhanced by the A12 processor's upgraded Neural Engine. Owners can even adjust bokeh after a photo was taken.

The XS Max is essentially the same device, simply with an enlarged screen. Preorders for both phones are underway ahead of a Sept. 21 launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Gizmodo is excoriating Apple for "hiding" the notch in this commercial, claiming it's all but unethical. Ever notice how these douchebag websites latch onto something negative and beat it to death? First the headphone jack and now the notch, both of which have been proven to be accepted by the majority of buyers. When's the next Samsung notch shaming ad coming coming? Anybody?
    edited September 2018 the_rebel_scumStrangeDaysWhiskeyAPPLEciderirnchrizappleismymiddlenameJordanf1claire1wlymjbdragonredgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 46
    The soap bubble wallpaper does hide the notch but might not be on purpose because the XR wallpaper does not hide it.
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 46
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Thinnest.... now biggest.
    Apple has some interesting fetishes.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 4 of 46
    cgWerks said:
    Thinnest.... now biggest.
    Apple has some interesting fetishes.
    As do their customers, who continually reaffirm and vote with their wallets. 
    WhiskeyAPPLEcidershark5150claire1wlymredgeminipaRayz2016lamboaudi4watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 46
    I haven’t taken the time to run the numbers but I imagine the note has as much screen area despite the smaller screen size. 

I prefer the notes “non-notch” style. That said, it’s alright. 
  • Reply 6 of 46
    I'm a life long Apple fanboy with an iPhone X and I absolutely HATE the notch! HATE!!! In all seriousness and reasonableness, the notch is a genuinely stupid concept. Why would they choose to put an obstruction INSIDE the screen limiting some of your video viewing content?  Let me put it another way.... why would you put a bezel INSIDE the screen???  Bezels are borders. Why put a border as an obstruction inside the viewing area of a screen??  It is literally a stupid design choice, but it passes muster ONLY because Apple did it. Samsung's Note 8/9 is not only aesthetically better but does not rob the user ANY video real estate. If I were not such a maniacal hoarder of iMessage and SMS conversation histories, I would have traded in my iPhone X for a Note 9 this year and kept the Samsung until Apple eliminates the notch - and I am 100% sure Apple will eventually boot the notch once they come up with a way to embed Face ID and/or fingerprint sensor invisibly in the screen.  Till that time, I guess I will just hang on to my iPhone X and be pissed off everytime it stares back at me on a solid white screen or when I am watch a full screen movie. ...sigh : (
    cgWerks
  • Reply 7 of 46
    As my iPhone keeps expanding its role as my de facto primary digital device the larger screen of the XSMax should be an interesting  shift from my iPhone X. 
    redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 46
    I like this ad. Interesting. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 46
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:
    Gizmodo is excoriating Apple for "hiding" the notch in this commercial, claiming it's all but unethical. Ever notice how these douchebag websites latch onto something negative and beat it to death? First the headphone jack and now the notch, both of which have been proven to be accepted by the majority of buyers. When's the next Samsung notch shaming ad coming coming? Anybody?
    Why didn't anyone throw a fit when the Galaxy spy machine hid the forehead and chin in every ad with their wannabe Apple wallpapers??

Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Now Official Tick

rrrize said:
    I'm a life long Apple fanboy with an iPhone X and I absolutely HATE the notch! HATE!!! In all seriousness and reasonableness, the notch is a genuinely stupid concept. Why would they choose to put an obstruction INSIDE the screen limiting some of your video viewing content?  Let me put it another way.... why would you put a bezel INSIDE the screen???  Bezels are borders. Why put a border as an obstruction inside the viewing area of a screen??  It is literally a stupid design choice, but it passes muster ONLY because Apple did it. Samsung's Note 8/9 is not only aesthetically better but does not rob the user ANY video real estate. If I were not such a maniacal hoarder of iMessage and SMS conversation histories, I would have traded in my iPhone X for a Note 9 this year and kept the Samsung until Apple eliminates the notch - and I am 100% sure Apple will eventually boot the notch once they come up with a way to embed Face ID and/or fingerprint sensor invisibly in the screen.  Till that time, I guess I will just hang on to my iPhone X and be pissed off everytime it stares back at me on a solid white screen or when I am watch a full screen movie. ...sigh : (

You do know the notch is where the camera, sensors, FaceID, speaker are located right?
    Apple didn't "choose" to put the notch in, c'mon use your head.

"Samsung's Note 8/9 is not only aesthetically better but does not rob the user ANY video real estate."

Sigh..... obvious alterior motive aside, you fell for their ads didn't you? The iKnockoff Galaxy series has both a chin and forehead, robbing you of "video real estate".
    Your bias and ignorance makes you no different than the paid media morons. 

edited September 2018 wlymSolijcs2305StrangeDaysredgeminipabb-15Rayz2016backstabwatto_cobraSnickersMagoo
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Why didn't anyone throw a fit when the Galaxy spy machine hid the forehead and chin in every ad with their wannabe Apple wallpapers??

You do know the notch is where the camera, sensors, FaceID, speaker are located right?
    Apple didn't "choose" to put the notch in, c'mon use you’re head. 

If you turn the brightness up, you can clearly see the bezels in Samsung’s pics.  In Apple’s pics, there is *zero* color difference between the notch black and the screen black.  The notch might be difficult to see with a black screen, but it’s not invisible.  This “invisible notch” is obviously not a representation of reality, and it was a deliberate choice by Apple to misrepresent the phone’s face.  I’m not saying that they’re actively trying to *mislead* buyers, but they’re definitely downplaying the notch.  As they should. Because it’s embarrassing. 

It will also be interesting to see what the margin is between that soap bubble and the notch.  How much of a gap did they leave?  I am guessing zero, so they could maximize the illusion (apt name for the commercial) that the notch is unobtrusive. 

And of course Apple chose to put the notch in in the first place.  They could have embedded the sensors in a thin bezel across the top instead of a thicker notch that literally carved out part of the display. 

I am with Rrrize — I have bought iPhones since day one, but I’m not buying another unless and until the notch is gone and FaceID with it.  They’re both poop. 
    edited September 2018 claire1
  • Reply 11 of 46

Apple didn't "choose" to put the notch in, c'mon use you’re head. 

If you turn the brightness up, you can clearly see the bezels in Samsung’s pics.  In Apple’s pics, there is *zero* color difference between the notch black and the screen black.  The notch might be difficult to see with a black screen, but it’s not invisible.  This “invisible notch” is obviously not a representation of reality, and it was a deliberate choice by Apple to misrepresent the phone’s face.  I’m not saying that they’re actively trying to *mislead* buyers, but they’re definitely downplaying the notch.  As they should. Because it’s embarrassing. 

It will also be interesting to see what the margin is between that soap bubble and the notch.  How much of a gap did they leave?  I am guessing zero, so they could maximize the illusion (apt name for the commercial) that the notch is unobtrusive. 

And of course Apple chose to put the notch in in the first place.  They could have embedded the sensors in a thin bezel across the top instead of a thicker notch that literally carved out part of the display. 

I am with Rrrize — I have bought iPhones since day one, but I’m not buying another unless and until the notch is gone and FaceID with it.  They’re both poop. 
    So much bull in one post.

"If you turn the brightness up, you can clearly see the bezels in Samsung’s pics."

Ah it's the consumers fault for not turning up the brightness to the highest setting. Even after doing so you cannot see the chin and can barely(with some imagination) make out the forehead. But let's criticize Apple instead right?

"
    This “invisible notch” is obviously not a representation of reality, and it was a deliberate choice by Apple to misrepresent the phone’s face."

Apple never did it before. It's just a nice wallpaper get over it. Apple didn't do it with X either.

"
    They could have embedded the sensors in a thin bezel across the top instead of a thicker notch that literally carved out part of the display. "

So you guys complain that the notch takes up screen space and then suggest a forehead that takes up more space?
    I'm not stupid and most on this site aren't either, you obviously have an agenda against Apple so you twist logic to the point where Apple cannot win and then praise the most successful knockoff based on DIFFERENT logic (completely ignoring the top and bottom bezels on their "bezel-less iKnockofff).

"I have bought iPhones since day one"
    Here comes the cliché.....
    "
    but I’m not buying another unless and until the notch is gone and FaceID with it."

Ah so you bought every iPhone with bezels, forehead and chin but suddenly that tiny notch bothers you and is "
    obtrusive"?

LOL
    edited September 2018 SoliStrangeDaysredgeminiparadarthekatbb-15kevin keeTwilight Skywatto_cobraSnickersMagoo
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Does anyone complain about the screen real estate that is lost due when viewing due to the ridiculous curved screen on Galaxy phones? Do Samsung measure their screen size including the curved edges or when viewed from above?
    redgeminiparadarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    It's clearly visible when the light hits it right.

claire1StrangeDaysredgeminipabb-15cgWerksTwilight Skywatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 46
    rrrize said:
    Why would they choose to put an obstruction INSIDE the screen limiting some of your video viewing content?
    They didn't put the notch inside the screen, they extended the screen up on both sides of the notch. :)
    Solihmlongcoredgeminipabb-15backstabwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 46
    svanstrom said:
    rrrize said:
    Why would they choose to put an obstruction INSIDE the screen limiting some of your video viewing content?
    They didn't put the notch inside the screen, they extended the screen up on both sides of the notch. :)
    Do these complainers realize that without the notch, the data signal, time, wifi signal, location pointer and other icons would move down into the screen? Obstructing even more screen real estate?

When I first saw the notch, the location of these items seemed genius and it all clicked. Very clean and Apple.

crosslad said:
    Does anyone complain about the screen real estate that is lost due when viewing due to the ridiculous curved screen on Galaxy phones? Do Samsung measure their screen size including the curved edges or when viewed from above?

My question is why does samsung always come up in Apple conversation?

Oh that's right, because it's the only piece of hope from the hundreds of knockoffs. 
    SolijbdragonStrangeDaysredgeminipabb-15lamboaudi4watto_cobraSnickersMagoo
  • Reply 16 of 46
    How times have changed. Remember when this forum’s members were saying that Apple would never build a phablet?
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 17 of 46
    hentaiboy said:
    How times have changed. Remember when this forum’s members were saying that Apple would never build a phablet?
    Well… times have changed… Today the smallest phone is hidden inside a stylish (Apple) watch; and we use our "phones" mostly to consume media, or to interact with something. That's both given us the option to have a tiny phone, and the need/desire for bigger screens.
    christopher126redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 46
    This “invisible notch” is obviously not a representation of reality, and it was a deliberate choice by Apple to misrepresent the phone’s face.
    LOL...it's not a misrepresentation of anything. There IS screen space to the left and right of the notch, the notch itself is black, AND one of the selling points for OLED is the deep blacks in combination with color. When you go to Apple's web site, the first image of the XS does include visual elements from the notch in combination with the exact same image displayed on the phone.
    StrangeDaysredgeminipabb-15claire1watto_cobraSnickersMagoo
  • Reply 19 of 46
    rrrize said:
    Either you have a notch or you have an extended bezel to fit the camera and sensors (and one at the bottom for symmetry). There’s no way around it... not yet, at least.
    redgeminipabb-15claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 46
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I'll be upgrading from the iPhone X to the iPhone XS. I like the size. I started Apple's upgrade offer with the iPhone 6 Plus, continued with the 7 Plus. I found the Plus sizes too large to handle comfortably. I've been using iPads since they came out, including the iPadPro 13" so I have no need for phablets. The iPhone 5s was too small, the Pluses too large but found the iPhone X just right. So I'm sticking with that size when my year is up on the iPhone X upgrade program. 
    watto_cobra