Samsung Galaxy Note 9 blows up in purse, victim sues

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
A New York woman claims the new Samsung Galaxy Note 9 phone "spontaneously combusted" in her purse, calling back to the Galaxy Note 7 debacle.

Samsung Galaxy Note 9


Two years after an exploding-battery debacle led Samsung to recall and cancel the Galaxy Note 7, the company has been sued by a woman who claims that her Galaxy Note 9 blew up inside her purse.

According to The New York Post, Long Island real estate agent Diane Chung says her Note 9 became "extremely hot" while she was using it in an elevator, at which point she placed it back in her bag. The bag then began smoking, and caught fire, ruining the bag and everything in it.

Chung filed suit in the Queens Supreme Court, claiming unspecified damages and "a restraining order barring the sales of any Galaxy Note 9s," the Post said.

It doesn't appear that there have been any other similar reports of the Galaxy Note 9 catching on fire, since the product went on the market in late August. The company issued a statement to that effect to the Post and other media outlets.

"Samsung takes customer safety very seriously and we stand behind the quality of the millions of Galaxy devices in use in the United States," a Samsung spokesperson said in the statement. "We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note9 device and we are investigating the matter."

The Galaxy Note 7, released in 2016 opposite Apple's iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, was an unprecedented disaster for Samsung. It suffered widespread overheating and fires, leading Samsung to issue a full recall of the product and stop selling new ones. The entire debacle caused Samsung to take a financial hit to the tune of over $5 billion, as reported at the time.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    D_CMillsD_CMills Posts: 19unconfirmed, member
    Just a solitary event for now, which happen to Apple on occasion as well. No precedent for Note 7 style explosions, yet.
    napoleon_phoneapartjbdragonlkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 3,918administrator
    D_CMills said:
    Just a solitary event for now, which happen to Apple on occasion as well. No precedent for Note 7 style explosions, yet.
    Correct.

    FTA: "It doesn't appear that there have been any other similar reports of the Galaxy Note 9 catching on fire, since the product went on the market in late August. The company issued a statement to that effect to the Post and other media outlets."
    edited September 2018 lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Samsung are to blame for the phone going on fire but not for her inability to backup her contacts or the bag that she threw the phone in instead of throwing it on the floor.

  • Reply 4 of 15
    I don’t blame anyone. Wait for details to come out. It maybe a cheap charger.
    But with Note 7 precedent it’s scary.
    claire1
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Seriously, this is just ridiculous. Out of millions sold, one is defective and she's suing to stop the sales?!?! It's like saying that one case of food poisoing is documented therefore the entire supply of said food should be stopped. It has to be thoroughly investigated to see if there's evidence of a supply being defective or dangerous before it can be stopped. Those kind of accidents happen no matter what.
    jbdragonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 1,935member
    D_CMills said:
    Just a solitary event for now, which happen to Apple on occasion as well. No precedent for Note 7 style explosions, yet.
    Lithium Battery's are not the safest things in the world. Everything has to be perfect. We all know that nothing made, or manufactures is ever going to be 100% perfect. They have to be charged and drain just right to not explode and to last. So what is the percentage rate that is acceptable? How many out of a million? If it's 1 in a million and you just finished selling 10 million phones. Now you have 10 people out there spreading the news of their phones exploding and you think, WOW, that's a lot. You sell 200 million iPhones in a year and now that would really add up. So clearly the normal failure rate is higher than 1 in a million. Really, that's pretty impressive.

    The Exploding S7's, the failure rate was, much , much higher. They did end up finding a couple issues with the battery's. These days, they supposedly X-Ray every single one to make sure they are built correctly along with other checks. So 1 Note catching fire doesn't make it a issue. ALL phones selling millions are going to have a few that catch fire, or smoke, or bulge up. It's the nature of Lithium.

    Until something better comes along, it is what it is. Start getting a few more, and then maybe it starts looking more like a issue. Same holds true with the iPhones.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Don't they have a paste... or a powder that recently came out which prevents the Li-On Battery from self-combustion if shorted??
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Wow. Samsung has started this year’s prelaunch with a bang! 

    SpamSandwicholsclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Wow. Samsung has started this year’s prelaunch with a bang! 

    Sales are explosive!
    edited September 2018 olsclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 59unconfirmed, member
    I don’t blame anyone. Wait for details to come out. It maybe a cheap charger.
    But with Note 7 precedent it’s scary.
    This. I always amazed me that people spend 100s of dollars on a phone, Apple or others, then try and find the cheapest charging/cable accessories possible that fry, or sometimes set their device on fire.

    I don't get it.
    ols
  • Reply 11 of 15
    anomeanome Posts: 1,204member

    Wake me when it's happening to over 1% or so. Maybe 10%. These things are just going to happen.

    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    anome said:

    Wake me when it's happening to over 1% or so. Maybe 10%. These things are just going to happen.

    happening to 1% or 10% of devices? Are you crazy? This is not going to happen!
    The phone would have to be subjected to a "voluntary" recall by the feds long before it can hit even 0.01%, if the cause is found to be a manufacturing/design defect.
    1% of of 10M devices is 100k cases of Note9 exploding. 
    Nah, that is unrealistic, given that the previous model was pulled after, something like, 2-3 dozen of those cases happening...which would be roughly 0.0003%, (nowhere near 1%).
    edited September 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,530member
    netrox said:
    Seriously, this is just ridiculous. Out of millions sold, one is defective and she's suing to stop the sales?!?! It's like saying that one case of food poisoing is documented therefore the entire supply of said food should be stopped. It has to be thoroughly investigated to see if there's evidence of a supply being defective or dangerous before it can be stopped. Those kind of accidents happen no matter what.
    I agree BUT, if this were an iPhone, the entire Internet would burst into flames. Reddit would go offline because of the traffic, Twitter would grind to a halt over the rage, YouTube would be plastered with videos from haters explaining why you should get rid of your iPhone and buy a Huawei instead. I’m no Samsung fan but a single event means less than nothing.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,720member
    lkrupp said:
    netrox said:
    Seriously, this is just ridiculous. Out of millions sold, one is defective and she's suing to stop the sales?!?! It's like saying that one case of food poisoing is documented therefore the entire supply of said food should be stopped. It has to be thoroughly investigated to see if there's evidence of a supply being defective or dangerous before it can be stopped. Those kind of accidents happen no matter what.
    I agree BUT, if this were an iPhone, the entire Internet would burst into flames. Reddit would go offline because of the traffic, Twitter would grind to a halt over the rage, YouTube would be plastered with videos from haters explaining why you should get rid of your iPhone and buy a Huawei instead. I’m no Samsung fan but a single event means less than nothing.
    There's been a handful of iPhone battery fires, both on-charger and off, over the years but the internet didn't really explode over it and I don't remember any demands for a recall. You and Netrox are correct, it's going to happen very rarely with any of our smartphones no matter the manufacturer and in and of itself not evidence of any manufacturing defect. The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 was a high-profile exception. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    claire1claire1 Posts: 484unconfirmed, member
    netrox said:
    Seriously, this is just ridiculous. Out of millions sold, one is defective and she's suing to stop the sales?!?! It's like saying that one case of food poisoing is documented therefore the entire supply of said food should be stopped. It has to be thoroughly investigated to see if there's evidence of a supply being defective or dangerous before it can be stopped. Those kind of accidents happen no matter what.
    Now Sammy gets a taste of what its like to be Apple. They've wanted to be all these years so here!

    Samsung are to blame for the phone going on fire but not for her inability to backup her contacts or the bag that she threw the phone in instead of throwing it on the floor.


    But she's too blame for buying a cheap iPhone knockoff.
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.