Activity app challenge awards go missing for some iOS 12 upgraders

Posted:
in iOS
Some iPhone owners may notice some of their Activity Challenge awards have disappeared from their list of achievements after updating to iOS 12, Apple warns, advising a fix to restore the missing accolades is on the way.

A number of users have discovered that five challenge awards will not be visible in the Activity app on their iPhone, if they have upgraded to iOS 12. Normally appearing in the Awards tab within the app, the five limited edition awards are earned by completing set tasks during a specific day, making them unavailable to collect at any other times of year.

The five awards include the Thanksgiving Day Challenges of 2016 and 2017, the Mother's Day Challenge for 2017, the Veterans Day Challenge 2017, and 2018's China National Fitness Day 2018.

A support document published on Monday advises Apple is aware of the issue and will address it in an upcoming software update. No timing is provided for when to expect the fix to be issued.

The wording of the document suggests that it is only a temporary issue and not permanent, with those who earned the awards likely to see them on the page at some point in the future.

Used in conjunction with the Apple Watch, the Activity app provides a number of achievements to its users to encourage fitness, with people sharing their activity receiving alerts when others completes a challenge. While most relate to retaining streaks or setting new personal records, Apple does occasionally set time-limited challenges in celebration of events.

Released on Monday, iOS 12 introduces a number of changes to the operating system, including improved performance for older devices, Screen Time app usage monitoring, MeMoji, enhanced notifications, changes to core apps, and other alterations.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member
    The National Park challenge awards for this and last year are also AWOL :-(
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I'm pretty sure I had an award on snowboarding, but it just went away with iOS12. Not sure if Apple just deleted some awards, or just got deleted by accident. Anyways, I see if I can get it again once winter comes with my new S4!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I thought I was going crazy. I researched a bunch of solutions, reset my watch, unpaired, reset reset reset. 

Okay. Cool 
  • Reply 4 of 5
    My achievement of februari was not rewarded, but not in the update its rewarded. Strange that they only solved the bug now.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member
    Progress!  The other day there were four awards in the "Linited Edition" section:

2017 Ring in the New Year
    2018 Ring in the New Year
    2018 Heart Month  
    2018 International Women's Day

Today there are eight.  In addition to the above:

2017 Earth Day
    2018 Earth Day
    2017 National Parks
    2018 National Parks

Still missing the others.  But this does suggest that, at least for the above awards, an iOS update is not needed and that the fix was on the server side.