Apple planning to ramp iPhone XR production to 'over 50 percent' of new iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone
Although much of its media hype has been focused on the iPhone XS and XS Max, Apple is reportedly planning to boost production of the iPhone XR past the 50 percent ratio by December.

Apple iPhone XR

XR production is ramping up to 20 million units in October, DigiTimes sources said on Wednesday. Preorders are only slated to start on Oct. 19, but Apple typically needs one or two months to build launch inventory.

In comparison, shipments of the XS Max are expected to hover around 4 to 5 million per month for some time, accounting for about 20 percent of overall production.

Even before its announcement, multiple reports hinted that Apple was planning to favor XR shipments. The device is $749, which while more than the iPhone 8 cost at launch is still considerably cheaper than the $999 XS and the $1,099 XS Max.

To achieve that price point the XR uses a single-lens camera, drops 3D Touch, and sports a 6.1-inch LCD instead of OLED. It does however share many features with the XS and XS Max, such as an A12 processor, an edge-to-edge screen, and a TrueDepth camera for Face ID. It even comes in colors unavailable to XS buyers, such as yellow and (Product)Red.

The DigiTimes sources suggested that the XR should "remain competitive" in China, despite being more expensive than other high-end phones in the country, as a result of being a dual-SIM device. Notably Chinese models will be "true" dual-SIM devices, while countries like the U.S. will wield an eSIM for secondary carriers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Why ? Because for most the price matters!!! This whole thing of value proposition have created 80%+ Android phone market. I am going to upgrade all 5 older iPhones in family with iPhone XR. I still not happy not having GOLD color XR. Black,white and Gold are standard colors for phones. Either replace yellow with Gold or add gold on top of others. Even people have not touch XR but due to it's value proposition, people already sold on it. It will be sold out soon as available. Due to XR's tremendous success, I bet, next year's XR will have dual camera and Gigabit LTE upgrade to keep the sales volume growing. XS/MAX will move to 5G and other upgrades.
    edited September 2018 goodbyeranch
  • Reply 2 of 9
    DigiTimes. Pfffttt..they know nothing about Apple’s plans.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I assumed the eSIM would be for the primary carrier. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mike54 said:
    I would buy this if only it came in a 5in size, had 4gb ram and 3D touch.
    Considering the X has 3GB of RAM and is still one of the fastest phones available, why is the RAM a hangup?

And 3D Touch is simulated in the XR, so why is this a hangup?

P.S. they're never going smaller, so don't hold your breath.
    albegarcgatorguy
  • Reply 5 of 9
    wood1208 said:
    Black,white and Gold are standard colors for phones. 
    Gold is only recently "standard". Come on. 

Apple has a long history of making the cheaper version come in a variety of colors by the way.
  • Reply 6 of 9

I remember that I pretty much totally blew off those early rumors last year about the LCD version being the most popular, but it looks like it's going to be true!

Unless you're a techie, want to show off, or you're a die hard Apple fan (me), there's not much of a reason to go for one of the Xs's (unless, of course, your main priority is screen size). Xr has the best battery life, big screen, nearly identical performance and camera, relatively lighter, and comes in a bunch of colors.

In retrospect, I even feel a bit silly going for the Max, but (thankfully) I can afford it, I love the new gold color (usually not my style), and I want to finally (N.B. I'm using the word "finally" in keeping with proper Gruberian parlance) give in and give the Max/Plus phones a try.

edited September 2018 albegarc
  • Reply 7 of 9
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    With dual-sim feature, does it mean any XR will work with all four carriers? 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I still don’t get Apple’s choice of using a non Full-HD display on the XR. The fact that it’s LCD as opposed to OLED and doesn’t incorporate 3D Touch would of been enough of a differentiator from the higher-end XS & XS Max model’s. A lack of at least Full-HD on a new smartphone in 2018 is ridiculous, even if it is by Apple.
    edited September 2018