Amazon debuts Fire TV Recast OTA DVR, Smart Plug, and other new smart home products

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
Along with its new Echo devices, Amazon on Thursday new smart home products, including an Amazon-branded Smart Plug, an Alexa-capable microwave, and more.

Amazon link amp

At its product event in Seattle Thursday, Amazon unveiled a new Amazon-branded Smart Plug, meant to allow Alexa control of plugged-in appliances. It was one of several home automation announcements, along with the speakers announced at the same event.

Smart Plug

Amazon Smart plug

The Smart Plug announcement had been tipped off earlier in the day, when website Pocket-lint discovered a listing for it on Amazon's U.K. website. That listing stated that the Smart Plug "works with Alexa to add voice control to any electrical socket."

The device was formerly announced Thursday, and priced at $25.

Third-party smart plugs are already on the market, working with the ecosystems of Amazon, Google and Apple. The Wemo Mini Smart Plug, introduced in July, was the first product of its kind to offer HomeKit software authentication. But the new device is unique in that it is Amazon-branded.

Fire TV Recast

Amazon has unveiled the Fire TV Recast, a companion product to the Fire, Amazon's Apple TV competitor, according to the About Amazon internal live blog of the event. The Recast is a companion DVR that "lets you watch, record, and replay free over-the-air programming to any Fire TV, Echo Show, and on compatible Fire tablet and mobile devices." Users can also record up to four shows at once.

Alexa Guard

The new Alexa Guard is meant to "integrate Echo devices, smart lights, and security service providers to help customers protect their homes while they're away." Its features include Away Lighting, which deters intruders by turning lights on to imply that someone is home.

Ring Stick Up Cam

Amazon announced, in collaboration with Ring, its new Ring Stick Up Cam, which is available in both wired and battery configurations. It will retail for $179.99.

Echo Wall Clock

Echo Wall Clock

Amazon has unveiled a clock, called the Echo Wall Clock, which integrates via Bluetooth to the user's Echo devices.

Shipping later this year, it will retail for $29.99.

Wi-Fi Simple Setup

The Smart Plug is the first Amazon product to use Wi-Fi Simple Setup.

"You plug in the Wi-Fi Simple Setup enabled device, and it immediately looks for the Wi-Fi Simple Setup Network," according to the live blog. "Once it receives the encrypted credentials, it securely connects to the network. And, all of that happens in less than thirty seconds." Customers can set up the new Amazon Wi-Fi Locker in order to "re-use network credentials to setup a new device."

Amazon also announced that it has released version 4 of its smart home API, which is now in public preview.

Alexa Connect Kit

Amazon also announced the arrival of Alexa Connect Kit, which it calls "the simplest way to create Wi-Fi connected, smart home products." The kit includes software that "automatically and securely connects to Amazon-managed cloud services."

Amazon Basics Microwave

Amazon Basics Microwave

Amazon also announced a surprising new hardware product: A microwave. The AmazonBasics Microwave includes dozens fo voice presets, that work with an Ask Alexa button. The microwave also includes integration with Dash replenishment, to order more popcorn when the user is running low.

The Microwave will retail for $59.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The Recast looks sort of interesting. Perhaps a competitor to HomeRunHD from Silicon Dust or the Mohu Airwave. An AppleTV with a OTA tuner(s) and a coax jack on it would be a welcome product, but exactly how such a thing makes money for Apple is not clear. However, how Recast makes money for Amazon/Fire is abundantly clear. 
    supadav03
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Exciting times. Most of these devices are still a bit half baked but it drives the market in the right direction. The more smart things I add to my house, the more aware I am that I really need a clean, comprehensive platform that will connect it all together. And Siri/Alexa/Assistant/Bixby will eventually have to be smart enough to understand instructions that today can be fed into Tasker/IFTTT but in natural language.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Throwing a bunch of stuff against the wall and see what sticks. 15 new items seems a bit ambitious. Interested to see how many are around next year at this time.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    clarker99 said:
    Throwing a bunch of stuff against the wall and see what sticks. 15 new items seems a bit ambitious. Interested to see how many are around next year at this time.
    The sad part is Amazon stole Apples idea and ran with it while Apple is walking slowly. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Given the security track record on Alexa, there is no possible way I am letting a "smart/spyware" Amazon or Google product into my home. Only vendors with a strong reputation for IoT security are getting any of my business when it comes to smart devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    claire1 said:
    clarker99 said:
    The sad part is Amazon stole Apples idea and ran with it while Apple is walking slowly. 
    I dont think Bezos’ company knows where this is going. If they did they never release 15 products. It is overkill and lacks focus. The failure of Fire phone has led to them trying everything else. IMO, the answer to true voice assistance will be something far better than Alexa.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Cheap n’cheerful! I wish Home Kit stuff was as affordable in my part of the world.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    clarker99 said:
    Their Amazon Basics line actually has a lot of really well made items at very reasonable prices. I bought a replacement data/power cable for my iPhone and iPad from Amazon Basics that is far better than the Apple version. The Amazon offering even has a high quality mesh woven outer sleeve that has proven exceptionally sturdy. My Apple cord frayed and exposed the wire after maybe a year of use in comparison.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    clarker99 said:
    claire1 said:
    clarker99 said:
    I dont think Bezos’ company knows where this is going. If they did they never release 15 products. It is overkill and lacks focus. The failure of Fire phone has led to them trying everything else. IMO, the answer to true voice assistance will be something far better than Alexa.
    They know what they’re doing because they select top selling items or highly requested items and make their own versions of those things. That’s just being smart. Walmart also does this and Amazon is now competing directly against Walmart.