Apple completes deal for music identification service Shazam

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
While Apple's full plans for Shazam aren't entirely clear, the company announced on Monday that the deal for the music identification service is complete, and the app will go advertising-free soon.




"Apple and Shazam have a long history together. Shazam was one of the first apps available when we launched the App Store and has become a favorite app for music fans everywhere," said Oliver Schusser, Apple's vice president of Apple Music. "With a shared love of music and innovation, we are thrilled to bring our teams together to provide users even more great ways to discover, experience and enjoy music."

Apple says that Shazam has been downloaded over one billion times around the world, and users identify songs using the Shazam app over 20 million times each day.

Beyond song identification, Shazam has an augmented reality technology it calls Visual Shazam, that it launched in 2015. As a follow-on to that, Shazam announced a "massively scaled augmented reality platform" in March 2017. At launch, the platform allowed users to scan "Shazam Codes" with the content from partners displayed on a smartphone after the scan.

At launch, the functionality existed within the Shazam app. The primary partner at launch was liquor company Beam Suntory. The effort was praised because of market penetration that the company had with its Shazam app -- now eclipsed many times over by Apple's rollout of ARKit in iOS 11.

Word first surfaced in December that Apple was close to buying Shazam. It was said that the price was about $401 million -- a significant discount from the $1 billion the company was valued at in its last funding round in 2015.

Shazam started life in the UK in 1999 as a product called 2580, named after the number users had to dial to reach the service via text. Since its debut on the iOS App Store, and subsequently Mac App Store, Shazam has evolved into a comprehensive audio fingerprinting service that allows users to identify songs, movies, TV shows and other media by capturing short audio segments.

Currently, Shazam features integration with a number of music services, including iTunes and Apple Music. While iTunes hooks feature simple track purchasing options, Apple Music subscribers can use Shazam to quickly add identified songs and to a customized playlist.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,171member
    I wonder if this means they will drop support for Android
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Given that they ported Apple Music to Android, I can't imagine why.

    I think the bigger question is whether Shazam functionality will get rolled into Music, or if the whole thing just gets shut down. Word on the streets is that they're buying it for their gee-whiz AI and team, not the product itself. Which would be a pity, I use it all the time. 

    Here's an article about their signal processing, I'm afraid it flies way over my dumb dumb head. http://coding-geek.com/how-shazam-works/
    cornchipronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Given it can identify the sound from movies and tv shows as well as music, the value of Shazam’s technology will have increased in value since the EU Parliament passed the controversial Digital Patents Directive. Social media platforms will need something like this to identify possible copyright infringement on all  videos uploaded by users.
    ronnclaire1radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,171member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Given that they ported Apple Music to Android, I can't imagine why.

    I think the bigger question is whether Shazam functionality will get rolled into Music, or if the whole thing just gets shut down. Word on the streets is that they're buying it for their gee-whiz AI and team, not the product itself. Which would be a pity, I use it all the time. 

    Here's an article about their signal processing, I'm afraid it flies way over my dumb dumb head. http://coding-geek.com/how-shazam-works/
    Ah you’re right, I’d forgotten that. But iTunes is still not available on Android, so you can subscribe to Apple mUisc to hear the song, but can’t buy/download it directly?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Just in time for the Shazam! movie tie-in.
    ronncornchipclaire1
  • Reply 6 of 12
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,097member
    Ah. I didn’t realize that hadn’t gone through yet. Was wondering why Shazam was still so slow & clunky.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    good lord if they do keep the Shazam app around and get rid of the ADS ADS ADS
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mac_128 said:
    I wonder if this means they will drop support for Android
    They'll probably kill the product and bake it into iOS/Siri/Music so they can have something similar to Now Playing on the Pixel (AutoShazam but offline). Or maybe I'm wrong and they'll just include a link to Apple Music on Android once it recognises a song.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    claire1claire1 Posts: 446unconfirmed, member
    I heard Shazam has a HUGE audio recognition marketshare and people use it to buy music all the time. It has links to Spotify and others so I'm betting it will be first party links now.

    Also Shazam is really popular with these weird interactive ads where the announcer says something like "Shazam this commercial for a chance to win!"
    Apple sure will win with this.

    Also yes, they have a kick @ss AI team working on something.

    Logically I believe Apple will use the audio recognition tech for future projects. Audio recognition is gonna be big with Apple behind it. Apple has a way of getting under-used tech and making it huge. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mac_128 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Given that they ported Apple Music to Android, I can't imagine why.

    I think the bigger question is whether Shazam functionality will get rolled into Music, or if the whole thing just gets shut down. Word on the streets is that they're buying it for their gee-whiz AI and team, not the product itself. Which would be a pity, I use it all the time. 

    Here's an article about their signal processing, I'm afraid it flies way over my dumb dumb head. http://coding-geek.com/how-shazam-works/
    Ah you’re right, I’d forgotten that. But iTunes is still not available on Android, so you can subscribe to Apple mUisc to hear the song, but can’t buy/download it directly?
    The iOS version already doesn't have iTunes Store links in it anymore. It works with Apple Music and Spotify (and maybe others that I don't have installed?).
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I have tried Shazam a few different time over the years but alway go back to SoundHound. Its integrated with Spotify and is Fast.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I have tried Shazam a few different time over the years but alway go back to SoundHound. Its integrated with Spotify and is Fast.
    Shazam is very fast, and you don’t have to open the app.. just use Siri. She’s already using Shazam. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.