I'm taking the plunge. Any recommendations?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm downloading Mandrake Linux for PPC as we speak. I'll hopefully manage to install it on this iBook 600. Why do I want Linux you ask? Just because... I want to broaden my horizon, get a better understanding of my computer, develop a little maybe, a little shell scripting too (yes you can do that on a Mac too). See what an entire world of others have seen before me. OS X has just gotten so mind-numbingly easy to deal with... I would like to curse my computer now and then. So I go linux? I'm not making a very good point here, so be it. I'm installing Linux. Are there things I should take into account? Apps I should try out when I arrive at the other side? How do install the beast AND not lose all my stuff, or run the risk of losing all my stuff? Questions...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Just follow the instructions. simple enough.

But listen to this:

Linux will not do anything for you in terms of learning to develop, or learning anything about your machine. The windows may load a bit faster, but that's about it. Mac OS X is much, much nicer on the whole.

And yes, I have multiple computers running linux variants. I'd have to vote against Mandrake (pro Debian), but Mandrake is a decent package, all things considered.

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>