From announcement to shelves?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I called my dealer today and he said the first batch is supposed to ship from Cupertino (or Hon-Hai, or whoever) tomorrow (and might be in store by the weekend), but everything I read on the web suggests that it's gonna take a couple of weeks more than that. If you've ordered a 17, fuggedaboudit!

What's the deal with delays? PM's took forever and actually had to be down-spec'd once upon a time, Did they ever ship a GF4Ti , iMac took forever, and now it looks like PB's are taking their sweet time too. There always seems to be a discord between when Apple shows a product and when they can start selling it. This is not so bad, but there also seems to be a problem meeting the ship dates they project. Tommorow was supposed to be the day they'd be available according to Steve's MWSF demo, but just about every source you see on the net puts their delivery date somewhere in Feb. WTF? I WANT MY PBOOK, NOW!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Do I have to tell you how long I waited for my iMac flat panel superdrive? I ordered immediately following the keynote and I didnt have the iMac in my hands until mid February.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    And it was really bad when the Dual USB iBooks came out. I ordered mine almost 2 months after they came out and people still weren't getting them. I got lucky and found some at a store by me and canceled my online order.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Whiners. My current PowerBook G4 17" order isn't slated to ship until APRIL.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Funny in a way that people want Apple to pre-announce more and be less secretive, then they get mad when things aren't available the day they're announced. I'm obviously twisting the situation a bit, I can sympathize with your frustration.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    If you paid attention to the keynote and Apple's announcements you would know that the 17" Powerbook would ship in February.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>If you paid attention to the keynote and Apple's announcements you would know that the 17" Powerbook would ship in February.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you're talking to me, which I assume you are (Matsu is getting a 12"), I did pay attention. But February to April is a huge difference! I can understand Apple needing to wait until enough machines are in production to get them distributed, and backing things up until the last minute of the announced ship date (as they usually do), but one to two months beyond the announced shipping date is a bit annoying to me.

Not that it matters, I have no choice but to wait in order to get my student dev discount.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I did not know that Apple had changed delivery, sorry.