Purported 2018 iPad Pro render shows edge-to-edge display, thinner design

Posted:
in iPad
Renders shared to Twitter on Thursday are claimed to show Apple's 2018 iPad Pro design, incorporating a near bezel-free display, reduced thickness, and retro-styled edges.

2018-ipadpro-render

One of the new Pros should be 5.86 millimeters thick, according to images shared by well-known leak source Ben Geskin. That compares against 6.1 millimeters on the current 10.5-inch model, and 6.9 millimeters on the 12.9-inch tablet.

2018-ipadpro-render

Another claimed design change is flat edges, akin to older Apple products like the iPhone 4. iPads have had rounded edges since 2011's iPad 2, and iPhones have sported them since 2014's iPhone 6. That may make it less likely that the renders are authentic given the shift in aesthetic, though it would be a way of setting new Pros apart cosmetically.

2018-ipadpro-render

Apple is expected to announce its new Pros sometime this month. Multiple reports have pointed to reduced bezels, but none to flattened edges.

Other features may include a Face ID, an "A12X" processor, USB-C support, and/or a "Magnetic Connector." The last may be an update of the Smart Connector, but moved to the rear and compatible with more accessories. The Smart Connector has largely failed to take off, being supported mostly by Apple and a few third-party keyboards. Many iPad keyboards still rely on Bluetooth -- a universal standard.

If Apple does support USB-C, it may choose to replace the Lightning port, which would break compatibility with many previous iPad accessories. That could explain why Apple is rumored to be preparing a new Apple Pencil.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    It’s gone from twitter - Apple takedown notice?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    You know, I’ll be perfectly fine if the iPad Pro didn’t have a rear cam so that the back is flat! Still, lust for <6 mm thickness. 

Face ID may require more thickness though. 
  • Reply 3 of 28
    5.86mm is too thin.  My 10.5 is bending like crazy and giving lots of problems
  • Reply 4 of 28
    I’m pysched for the new ipad pros & will definitely be buying one. Digging all the rumored changes...except perhaps the squared off edges. I don’t know if I like that. I think I kinda prefer the current rounded style more. The slightly curved edges are very comfortable when holding the ipad in your hands. But then i will really have to see the new design in person to be sure. Who knows? I may like it more. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 5 of 28
    So I guess they are going back to square design, reminiscent of the iPhone 4 and 5. I bet it looks great in person.
    caladanian
  • Reply 6 of 28
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    What in the world are you doing that your iPad Pro 10.5 is "bending like crazy and giving lots of problems".
    1983thtcaladanianbb-15
  • Reply 7 of 28
    jcs2305 said:
    What in the world are you doing that your iPad Pro 10.5 is "bending like crazy and giving lots of problems".
    I thought the same thing too. 
    He's probably being sarcastic, or he's sitting on it. 
  • Reply 8 of 28
    How do you bend an iPad?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    jcs2305 said:

No kidding. I never think of my iPad Pro 10.5 as being at all prone to bending. Unlike a phone it's not something you might slip into your back pocket.

That said, would there really be any benefit in going sub 6mm? Now at some time in a distant technological future it'd be nice to have a full size iPad that weighs a half rather than one pound. But how often do you hear a user complain that the present 6.1mm feels just too thick and clunky in the hand? Yeah — never.
    edited October 2018 randominternetperson
  • Reply 10 of 28
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I’m thinking based on changes being made in iOS 12 and considering a new 4K output resolution in the beta that USB-C is coming with the next iPad. Given the thinness and the USB-C port, it may be necessary to square the edges.

I also think it’s possible that Apple could develop and combination port to handle both USB-C and Lightning in the same port or have both, one on either end.
    caladanian
  • Reply 11 of 28
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I’m for the rumored flat edges. Maybe they designed that in to make the device easier to hold now that it’s virtually bezel-less. I also miss the flat edges and polished chamfers of the iPhone 5 series. They gave it a classy look IMO.
    caladanian
  • Reply 12 of 28
    That flat design is akin to the MacBook Pro not the iPhone 4.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 13 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    It’s gone from twitter - Apple takedown notice?
    Or Geskin found out the images were fake. 
  • Reply 14 of 28
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    2old4fun said:
    How do you bend an iPad?
    As embarrassing as it is to admit, I did accidentally sit on mine and it did bend fairly badly, but I was able to bend it back and it looks pretty much as good as new. Maybe slightly better, like those concave screens at some movie theaters. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 15 of 28
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

jkichline said:
    I’m thinking based on changes being made in iOS 12 and considering a new 4K output resolution in the beta that USB-C is coming with the next iPad. Given the thinness and the USB-C port, it may be necessary to square the edges.

I also think it’s possible that Apple could develop and combination port to handle both USB-C and Lightning in the same port or have both, one on either end.
    I just can’t see Apple putting two ports on the iPad, or any iOS device for that matter. It’ll likely be a lightning adapter if 4K is actually going to be supported. I’ve no doubt the iPad will get USB-C eventually as a desktop replacement, but it will probably only be after Lightning has been depreciated, replaced by a SmartConnector, and wireless charging.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    2old4fun said:
    How do you bend an iPad?
    As embarrassing as it is to admit, I did accidentally sit on mine and it did bend fairly badly, but I was able to bend it back and it looks pretty much as good as new. Maybe slightly better, like those concave screens at some movie theaters. 
    That's impressive.  It bent "fairly badly" and the screen didn't break and nothing was damaged internally?  I would have thought that that would require a major repair.
    bb-15
  • Reply 17 of 28
    That flat design is akin to the MacBook Pro not the iPhone 4.
    Yeah, that was my thought too.  If this is true, it suggests that Apple is playing up the iPad as laptop alternative message.  That makes a lot of sense since "iPad is just a bigger iPhone" is a losing proposition as iPhones get bigger and bigger.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    neilm said:
    No kidding. I never think of my iPad Pro 10.5 as being at all prone to bending. Unlike a phone it's not something you might slip into your back pocket.

That said, would there really be any benefit in going sub 6mm? Now at some time in a distant technological future it'd be nice to have a full size iPad that weighs a half rather than one pound. But how often do you hear a user complain that the present 6.1mm feels just too thick and clunky in the hand? Yeah — never.
    It is difficult to complain about something if one is not aware of what one is missing. A few examples;

I see no need for an apple watch as I can already use my phone to check the time. But once you get one, you realize that it has had an overall positive impact on your day to day activities and would not dream of going back.

I do just do not understand why someone would ever need two monitors for their desktop. Now ask anyone with two monitors to go back to one... not going to happen. 

You do not hear anyone complaining because there is nothing to compare it too. Having used my original 12.9 iPad pro as my only computer for the past 3 years, I can honestly say that I am very interested in this update. Should I get one, I am very skeptical that I would be longing for the days of the older, thicker version.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    ciacia Posts: 248member
    jkichline said:

That would be tough as lightning cables are male, and USB C cables are female.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 20 of 28
    I thought there was a rumor a few weeks ago about the new iPad having a design more like the iPhone 4 (i.e. more angular, flatter sides/back). Anyone else remember that?