Recommendation for used PowerBooks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all,

I've been using a PowerBook G3 Pismo for about two years now, before that a B&W G3 (which I still have since the graphics are just better on it), a G3/266 DT, a Performa 6400/200 (which we tried upgrading to a G3 via the L2 cache--bad idea), Mac Classic, Mac SE, and the original 128k Mac (which we've got in a box in our closet, waiting for it to reach antique-level ).

I got the G3 B&W because it was on sale -- the newly-released G4s were perched right there next to it at CompUSA, so I've never had the chance to actually run a G4-based system full time (I used them at school-unfortunately with no AltiVec coded software)...and now the talk of the 970, heh.

I've been thinking about - in the interim between now and this summer, considering what may come out of Cupertino - getting a moderately-priced used G4 PowerBook, so I won't break the bank at once and can save for whatever appears, if anything. What models do you PowerBook users recommend -- i.e., which have you found to have the least problems with heat displacement/paint chipping-peeling-bubbling/keys coming off, etc. This Pismo has been so good to me, but a certain member of my family who lent it to me for college (1st semester) wants it back -- the Dell my older brother sent us kind of goes crazy at times (the joys of virus-susceptible Windows 98 machines...). So I thought I'd just find something under or a little over $1,000 for now (seeing as the Aluminumbooks are going to drive the prices down in general) until August. It will be great to run Photoshop/InDesign/Office/OSX on the G4 I have a feeling.