Some YouTube TV subscribers receiving $10 in App Store credit for recent outage

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Live streaming service YouTube TV is in some cases apologizing for an outage last Tuesday with $10 in automatic App Store credit, arranged in conjunction with Apple.

YouTube TV on Apple TV

The credit should appear in App Store accounts "in the coming weeks," YouTube said in a mass email highlighted by editor Harry McCracken. The company asks that people contact Apple support about any further billing questions.

Only people who subscribed to YouTube TV via an in-app purchase, though, are eligible for the App Store credit. Otherwise YouTube is asking people to confirm their email address for an alternate method of returning the $10.

It's uncertain how often Apple has cooperated in enabling credit for in-app subscriptions. Some prominent services, like Spotify, have intentionally abandoned in-app payments, since Apple typically claims a 30 percent cut from every transaction. That figure shrinks to 15 percent for long-term subscribers, but it often makes more financial sense for businesses to make people sign up on the Web.

YouTube TV costs $40 per month, and offers over 60 channels in the U.S. cities where it's available. Its most significant features are an unlimited cloud DVR and the inclusion of all four major broadcast networks and their spinoffs. Channel coverage has improved significantly since the service launched in April 2017, but is still missing Viacom networks like Comedy Central.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    but who wants to buy cheap android apps, so they are fixing one problem by trying to pacifying users with another crappy product. There is a reason Google App store does not make as much as Apple's app store.  
  • Reply 2 of 5
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I think this was a great move by YouTube. So many times companies won’t step up to give a discount, waiting to do it only for those that complain enough that the word ‘lawsuit’ comes up. 
  • Reply 3 of 5
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Asa YouTube TV customer, I have noticed something on my iPad Pro when watching sports. The commercials are crystal clear but the game play with lots of motion can get pixelated and this is on an iPad Pro on a fast network.

Have not seen the problem on a Roku TV or Apple TV.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    maestro64 said:
    but who wants to buy cheap android apps, so they are fixing one problem by trying to pacifying users with another crappy product. 
    Ummm...
    If I read this right the "crappy products" you're expecting to receive will be coming from your iPhone App Store courtesy of a $10 credit from Google, not the Google Play store. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    davgreg said:
    Asa YouTube TV customer, I have noticed something on my iPad Pro when watching sports. The commercials are crystal clear but the game play with lots of motion can get pixelated and this is on an iPad Pro on a fast network.

Have not seen the problem on a Roku TV or Apple TV.
    Since you mentioned streaming quality I have noticed that YouTube TV has a much better quality picture on Roku than either Sling or DirectTV mobile. Honestly looks HD cable quality which I couldn't say with the other two I mentioned.  I haven't noticed anything lesser when streaming YouTubeTV on either a Pixelbook or PC, so the iPad Pro may be an outlier if you seeing problems there. 
    edited October 2018