Apple issues watchOS 5.1 for Apple Watch Series 4 without ECG [u]

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 2020
Apple on Tuesday pushed out watchOS 5.1, bringing bug fixes, iOS 12.1 compatibility -- but lacking an awaited ECG (electrocardiogram) app for Series 4 Apple Watches, as well as smaller changes for all compatible models.

The ECG app.
The ECG app.

The update must be installed through the Apple Watch app. An iPhone and Watch must also be within close range of each other, and the Watch must be on a charger and have at least 50 percent power.

The update lacks ECG support which was a major selling point of the Apple Watch Series 4, but has not been included since the wearable first shipped on Sept. 21. The technology relies on electrodes built into the base and the digital crown, allowing it to operate like a single-lead ECG sensor. This can be used to detect signs of atrial fibrillation, though the Apple Watch Series 3 can still perform this to a lesser degree.

Other changes are comparatively minor. The software supports Group FaceTime calls via audio, and some new watchface customization options.

watchOS 5.1 is available on all Apple Watches except for the first-generation model.

Update: ECG has not been enabled in the watchOS 5.1 update. AppleInsider regrets the error.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Woo hoo! I can’t wait to get home and try it out!!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    RadioactivecatRadioactivecat Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Just installed the update. Nary a sign of ECG. (Yes, I'm in the US)
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Stupid question... will Watch 5.x run decent in a Series 1?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Installed as well and no sign of ECG support
    Radioactivecat
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    terun78 said:
    That's what we get for relying on press releases, sometimes. Fixed.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 10
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Software industry truism:

They’ll forget if you release it late.
     They won’t forget if you release it broken.  
    doozydozenlolliverjony0
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Just curious how that error got spread. 

Many other news outlets reported the same thing that the update included ECG. If you guys were attending and reporting...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    terun78 said:
    Bummer! I was all excited to give it a try and noticed it was not installed after I updated to 5.1. Well, I hope it comes in the near future.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    alldayeventalldayevent Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    anyone else notice that the display has shrunk? 44mm here with custom photos that utilize entire display. the black bezel is significantly larger than before 5.1
    appledapple
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Is the update available in Canada - can’t seem to download it.