Looking to upgrade RAM on a 1Ghz TiBook - any tips?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I purchased my TiBook with 512mb installed (256mb in each slot) with the intention of upgrading to 1gb. I know I should have at least gotten the 512mb in one slot option, but I guess I wasn't thinking clearly at the time (the prospect of finally getting my hands on the laptop I had wanted for so long must have left me delirious).

Anyway, I'm now faced with a bewildering array of G4 Powerbook compatible RAM and have no idea what I should go for. Do I spend upward of $330 for a 'low power' Apple/Samsung kit from MemoryX that promises to have dealt with the 'sleep mode problems' (?) or will a $275 Ramjet kit be just as good? Perhaps more importantly, where can I avoid being gouged?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: kneelbeforezod ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If you want cheep stuph, go to <a href="http://www.ramseeker.com"; target="_blank">Ramseeker</a> and look for the cheapest price.

If you want middle-of-the-road stuff from a trusted company, I'd recommend <a href="http://www.otherworldcomputing.com"; target="_blank">Other World Computing</a>. Other people will certainly have their own personal recommendations. That's just my particular one.

If you want really good, high quality RAM, get Crucial. Crucial is something like 5% faster... but only get it if it's a little more expensive. When I got a 512 SODIMM for my iBook, Crucial was twice as expensive as the cheapest place (MacSolutions)... $140 vs. $70. Buying it from an inexpensive but trusted company is probably the best way to go.

I don't think high-priced RAM is really worth it. Get cheap stuff as long as it has a warranty.

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks for the advice. I had never really given much thought to RAM before (the last time I performed a memory upgrade it was to my old Sony Vaio - I found the cheapest stick I could and shoved it in - it worked just fine but I wanted to be a little more considerate of my PowerBook).

As a matter of interest, can anybody tell me offhand who makes the memory Apple uses when you add / max out at purchase?