Zuckerberg told Facebook execs to stop using iPhone after Tim Cook privacy comments

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2018
In efforts to contain and suppress fallout from the Cambridge Analytica scandal earlier this year, Facebook went on the offensive and attacked critics of the company's privacy practices. One of the social network's targets, according to a new report, was Apple and its CEO Tim Cook.

Tim Cook
Tim Cook during Revolution interview with MSNBC and Recode

Outlined in an exhaustive report by The New York Times that focuses primarily on Facebook's internal and external responses to revelations that the social network was compromised, and private user data leveraged to sway political sentiment, are a few interesting tidbits on how Zuckerberg and company lashed out against Apple through smear campaigns and shady tactics.

What initially got under Zuckerberg's skin was Cook's public comments during a joint MSNBC and Recode interview following Apple's education event last spring. Cambridge Analytica was a hot topic at the time, with the now defunct analytics firm's data harvesting operation having been disclosed to Facebook users just weeks prior. As expected, Cook, a stanch proponent of data privacy, was asked to chime in on the subject.

"We're not going to traffic in your personal life. Privacy to us is a human right," Cook said, adding, "It's a civil liberty."

The comments reportedly "infuriated" Zuckerberg, who ordered his managerial team to cease using iPhones in favor of Android, citing the larger install base of Android as his reasoning.

Publicly, Facebook also took swings at Apple. They hired Definers Public Affairs out of Washington that applied political campaign strategies to corporate PR. Definers helped push negative content about competitors while peddling positive content about Facebook in a bid to turn public opinion.

Conservative news site NTK Network, an affiliate of Definers, published a series of articles condemning Apple and Google for disreputable business practices. Several Apple-focused pieces took the company to task for being hypocritical in calling out Facebook while collecting user data of its own.

Many stories coming out of NTK are written by Definers' staff members. The Times credited Facebook being upset at Apple as the motive behind these lashings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Zuckerberg is a petty little tyrant.   
    magman1979StrangeDaysgilly33ericthehalfbeemac_dogracerhomie3anantksundaramjbdragonfastasleeppeterhart
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Yes, don't use an iPhone, use an insecure Android device to match our FaceBook service. 
    magman1979StrangeDaysM68000MisterKitracerhomie3ravnorodomjbdragonchristopher126fotoformatne1
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Curious the gentleman being compensated for American political ads in rubles is now throwing butthurt tantrums. 
    fastasleepmattinozradarthekatmacseekerredgeminipaMuntzwatto_cobralostkiwijony0
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Well I can always delete the little temper tantrum twit’s app from my iOS devices. So there. Now I’ll have a temper tantrum. 😝 Zuckerberg! 
    edited November 2018 radarthekatwatto_cobralostkiwijony0
  • Reply 5 of 41
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    Bitter little billionaire...somebody said what your business stands for to make money and you got mad!

Oh, and which tech company’s stock makes up 25% of W.Buffet’s portfolio?  I can’t recall, yes, that’s right...Apple!
    edited November 2018 radarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Yes seems Zuckerberg throwing a few teddys' out the pram, I think maybe he didn't get enough breast milk as a baby.

christopher126Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Awesome. Knowing how upset “Zuck the Fuck” is at Cooks comments makes me smile.

Apple/Cook were very smart, IMO, to keep talking about privacy these last few years. They knew a backlash would come and they’d be sitting pretty on the right side.
    jbdragonchristopher126radarthekatdoozydozenMuntzsailorpaulwatto_cobracharlesgreslostkiwijony0
  • Reply 8 of 41
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Tim Cook has right to brag about Apple's Privacy stand and implementation in it's products but no need to point finger against others in neighborhood(silicon valley) if they come short on privacy. Facebook's bad karma will teach Mark lesson to fix Privacy problems as customers raise their voice against shortcomings..
    racerhomie3ravnorodomradarthekatMuntz
  • Reply 9 of 41
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    macxpress said:
    Yes, don't use an iPhone, use an insecure Android device to match our FaceBook service. 
    Beautiful !   LOL...    and I wonder how Mr. Zuckerberg would like it if iPhone users deleted their facebook accounts in very large numbers... ?   After all,  nobody really needs facebook when you think about it.
    jbdragonmwhiteradarthekatolswatto_cobralostkiwijony0
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Absolutely he and everybody else have a responsibility to finger those who are harvesting our data for profit. Zuckerberg is even harvesting data on non users... why, because he can and it makes him money. He’ll say that Apple is just being elitist because it’s users can afford its expensive devices and don’t need to be subsidized by “free” software like Facebook and Android which harvest your data instead. What he is really saying is, Facebook is taking advantage of those who can least afford (or have little understanding) to avoid a deep and aggressive exploitation of their data trail. FB has turned freedom from personal data exploitation into a luxury.

We need regulation on data privacy yesterday... this won’t stop until we do.  It’s too profitable. Facebook is on a tear to exploit the undeveloped world where many think Facebook is the phone OS it’s so universally relied on. Credit to Apple that they haven’t succumbed and are taking a stand.
    edited November 2018 echosonicradarthekatmacseekersailorpaulwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Good. I am happy that Mr Zuckerburg was angry. 
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 41
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Zuckerberg is an ignoramus who has never done anything in his life other than ride the coattails and steal the ideas of other people. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Does anyone you know actually have a FB app of any sort installed on their phone, Apple or otherwise? If I have to go there for some family thing, I use a browser. I use a FB container in Firefox to visit that site. Even then, I get ads from places that FB should have no idea about. Scum.
    welshdogsailorpaulwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Those “bubbles” of cheap dollar years become more and more colorful as they near their burst...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 41
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    GHammer said:
    Does anyone you know actually have a FB app of any sort installed on their phone, Apple or otherwise? If I have to go there for some family thing, I use a browser. I use a FB container in Firefox to visit that site. Even then, I get ads from places that FB should have no idea about. Scum.
    I’ve missed out on some family events.  At least for my grandma’s 90th birthday party when I didn’t respond to the event, I was told about it the old fashion way, a phone call.  My Facebook use is maybe a couple minutes a month.  I have the bare minimum personal info listed.  I don’t use twitter at all either.  This stuff is generally a waste of time.  I rather talk to real people and real friends.  Not so called Facebook friends.  It just wastes so much time and I have better things to do.

kingofsomewherehotwatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 16 of 41
    I bet you a million dollars that this NTK Network & Definers group thru Suckerberg are the ones behind the bogus story about a Chinese spy chip in Apple devices. I friggin bet ya. I was only on Facebook for my Mom. But since she passed away, I quit it. I still use Instagram which was bought by FB, but I do feel a lot better since quitting FB. 
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 17 of 41
    GHammer said:
    Yes, nearly everyone I know. I use the app often. Targeted advertising is nothing new, so not sure why you're upset. 
  • Reply 18 of 41
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    widmark said:
    Absolutely he and everybody else have a responsibility to finger those who are harvesting our data for profit. Zuckerberg is even harvesting data on non users... why, because he can and it makes him money. He’ll say that Apple is just being elitist because it’s users can afford its expensive devices and don’t need to be subsidized by “free” software like Facebook and Android which harvest your data instead. What he is really saying is, Facebook is taking advantage of those who can least afford (or have little understanding) to avoid a deep and aggressive exploitation of their data trail. FB has turned freedom from personal data exploitation into a luxury.

We need regulation on data privacy yesterday... this won’t stop until we do.  It’s too profitable. Facebook is on a tear to exploit the undeveloped world where many think Facebook is the phone OS it’s so universally relied on. Credit to Apple that they haven’t succumbed and are taking a stand.
    I find interesting how you criticize FB for harvesting users data, and at the same time mention how Apple "haven’t succumbed and are taking a stand.", when Google pays them $9B to keep Google Search the default search engine.  Don't you think that if Apple is really taking a stand, as you said, they would reject Google offer and use another search engine with a better privacy record? 

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/28/google-paying-apple-9-billion-default-seach-engine/
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Targeted advertising is nothing new, so not sure why you're upset. 
    Except it’s not about “targeted advertising.” People aren’t up in arms about that—they’re incensed by the way the advertising tools were used and abused and Facebook’s unwillingness to even look at it till it became a PR issue for them. PBS just ran a two-part story about FB on Frontline and The New York Times published a piece about what happened today: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/technology/facebook-data-russia-election-racism.html

The reality is Facebook is far beyond “targeted ads” and it’s disengenious to suggest as much.
    radarthekatsailorpaulwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 41
    danvm said:
    widmark said:

I find interesting how you criticize FB for harvesting users data, and at the same time mention how Apple "haven’t succumbed and are taking a stand.", when Google pays them $9B to keep Google Search the default search engine.  Don't you think that if Apple is really taking a stand, as you said, they would reject Google offer and use another search engine with a better privacy record? 

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/28/google-paying-apple-9-billion-default-seach-engine/
    You know that you do have a choice, right? And, if you chose not to exercise that choice, you -- and others like you -- deserve what you get?
    watto_cobra