YouTuber unsurprisingly discovers that if you try to bend an iPad Pro, it will actually br...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2018
This just in: if you cut, scrape, burn, flex, and smash your iPad Pro there is a chance that it might break. This isn't what AppleInsider usually means by breaking news, but evidently, one YouTuber does.

Breaking an iPad Pro to see if it breaks. (Credit: JerryRigEverything)
Breaking an iPad Pro to see if it breaks. (Credit: JerryRigEverything)

YouTuberJerryRigEverything has smashed his iPad Pro so you don't have to. Only, you didn't have to. Still, thanks to this brave, brave man, it is now official -- if you cut, scrape, burn, bend and smash your iPad Pro, it is conceivable that you might damage it. You have been warned.

We had thought that AppleInsider testing was thorough but this does leave us behind -- and we're fine with that. There's exhaustive testing and there is ridiculous, pointless testing with no scientific method or means behind it.

For instance, at each single step in the process, this guy maintains that he's really checking out whether Apple is telling the truth about the materials in the iPad Pro. When Apple tells us the front is made of glass, we're fine with just believing them. You could call that being too trusting, you could call it naive, but we prefer to think of it as dialing back the observations of the obvious.

How much did this iPad Pro cost again? (Credit: JerryRigEverything)
How much did this iPad Pro cost again? (Credit: JerryRigEverything)

Yes, of course Apple could be lying when it says the front is made of glass but on the one hand, there are bigger things it could lie about. And on the other, if it isn't glass then it's doing a very good job of letting us see through it.

That's not enough for Jerry, though. He has to know for sure and, moreover, he appears to have to tell us for sure. So he scrapes at the glass -- alleged glass -- with a series of increasingly hard tools until he's proved that the glass scratches like glass and so is probably glass.

It turns out that metal is also metal, that bits of plastic needed to let WiFi and cellular signals through are bits of plastic. And the holes for the microphone and speakers are most definitely holes.

Is anybody surprised that a thin plate of metal bends more readily than a thicker one?

We hope you're taking notes

Jerry does make the point that if you have a hole in a piece of metal, that metal is weakened. If you weaken metal, you can bend it.

And now you can see where all of this is going. Jerry wants another Bendgate. This is the name given to the fact back in 2014 that the iPhone 6 Plus could be bent if you really wanted to. Maybe Apple will put their hands up to this one, too, and confess that if you try to bend a thin piece of aluminum that it will bend, and announce that smashed screens are the result of people smashing their screens.

Seriously? (Credit: JerryRigEverything)
Seriously? (Credit: JerryRigEverything)

Maybe they'll again open up their testing facilities to the media so that we can see for ourselves that, well, Apple tests things a bit.

Apple tests them so JerryRigEverything doesn't have to but he has nonetheless single-mindedly pursued this again, and has garnered a rising number of views, again. He has pursued the goal of getting people to talk about this vital issue of how many views he's got.

We've clearly fallen for that last bit but you can resist. Regardless if you click on his Subscribe button or not, you probably shouldn't go out of your way to break your iPad.

If you must hold a lighter up to the glass, if you must scratch drawings into the back and then try out your collection of glass-scraping tools on something, well, everybody needs a hobby. There just might be cheaper surfaces than an iPad you can try first.

Treat your iPad like you should treat a $350 or $1000 thin slab of glass and metal and you'll be fine.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.
AppleExposed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    Whatever this clown thinks he’s doing, David Letterman already did years before this waste of protoplasm was conceived. 
    At least Dave knew that it was comedy. 
    racerhomie3randominternetpersonAppleExposedmwhitechiadavgregtyler82jony0
  • Reply 2 of 57
    I... uh... you know... it's... No, I got nothin'.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 57
    He'd better watch out or the men in white coats will come and take him to a place of safety.  :) :)
    macseekerolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 57
    I don't know what this guy's real point is but I feel sorry for that iPad.
    jbdragonchiamacseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Retarded.
    AppleExposedjbdragondavgregtrashman69buttesilvermacseekerolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 57
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Thanks for a good laugh.
    Just goes to prove that you can't fix stupid.
    edited November 2018 AppleExposedAnilu_777davgreg
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Maybe he should have done that same experiment on his own fingers first.
    doctwelve
  • Reply 8 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This guy makes money by producing videos that neckbearded Apple haters can masturbate to. That crowd is already calling it Bendgate 2.0. I hope they have plenty of tissues to clean up their mess after they’ve finished.
    randominternetpersonAppleExposedmwhiteAnilu_777racerhomie3jbdragonchiadavgregdoctwelvetrashman69
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Maybe this dude should buy a Tesla to see of the paint can be scratched, the windshield can be smashed, the hood can be dented, and if the engine runs when immersed in lava.
    Anilu_777racerhomie3jbdragonchiaradarthekat
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Holy cow that moron does make some pointless videos. Sadly those are also
    lucrative enough for him to be able to kill hardware that pricey.

jbdragonrandominternetperson
  • Reply 11 of 57
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    The only reason he’s doing this is to please the Apple-haters and rack up his YouTube views and cash in.  That’s all

i won’t give this ass-hat my time to watch it.  Why AI feels the need to give this jerk additional 15 minutes of fame is beyond me.
    AppleExposedrandominternetpersonstompyCarnage
  • Reply 12 of 57
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Queue in the iKnockoff Knights who will scream how much this iPad is a failure and how it should have been dipped in titanium.

Meanwhile in knockoff iPad land......

edited November 2018 jbdragon
  • Reply 13 of 57
    What’s wrong with this guy!

High school kids in China spend nights to make these iPad.

randominternetperson
  • Reply 14 of 57
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    viclauyyc said:
    What’s wrong with this guy!

High school kids in China spend nights to make these iPad.

Not sure if sarcastic or another moron influenced by media.
    racerhomie3chialkrupp
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Hahahaha love this article! Yeah people love to see things destroyed. Finding out if there are flaws is one thing but excessive force and just pandering to those people is another. Keep up the good work, AI!
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Jerry should tell the Mafia ,to try a bend test on his fingers.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 17 of 57
    hongziyanghongziyang Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    You know, I have an OG Bendgate phone - 6+.  The crazy thing is... it's just as flat now as when I bought it 4 years ago... weird right??
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    sflocal said:
    The only reason he’s doing this is to please the Apple-haters and rack up his YouTube views and cash in.  That’s all

i won’t give this ass-hat my time to watch it.  Why AI feels the need to give this jerk additional 15 minutes of fame is beyond me.
    I feel like you may not have read the article.
    alexonline
  • Reply 19 of 57
    darkpaw said:
    Retarded.
    Modern society does not use that word for good reasons.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 57
    He doesn't just do this to Apple products. He does it with just about every phone that gets released. Chill already, and enjoy the comedy.
    saltyzip