Last remaining AirPort Wi-Fi accessories no longer on sale from Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    ols said:
    So when is “Time Machine” backup being removed from MacOS? It is not perfect but I works and that what I like
    Time Machine literally has nothing to do with AirPorts, so not sure why that'd be a thing. A Time Capsule was just network attached storage.
    It's only a thing because so many third-party routers don't support Time Machine.

We had a big external drive plugged into the USB port on the Airport. Our new router doesn't even have a USB port. The one we tried before this one had a port and allowed setting up the drive as shared storage, but it would not work with Time Machine. Apparently there's something unique about Time Machine that the router must specifically support. Just because a router allows attached storage doesn't necessarily mean that Time Machine will work. The majority of routers we looked at didn't.

Not that we particularly miss it. Before we made the switch we wanted to make complete backups of all our computers. We started with mine, a Touch Bar MBP with about 750GB stored on it. When it still hadn't finished the initial backup after THREE DAYS we gave up on it.
    Using a USB drive on an AirPort Extreme was actually not officially supported for Time Machine, and was known to be problematic. 
    Really? Are you sure? I'm almost positive the blurb on the Apple web site specifically listed printers and Time Machine backups as uses for that port. I could be wrong, though. It's been known to happen from time to all the time.

If you're right, and I trust your memory more than my own, Apple support is even more forgiving than I thought. Neither telephone support nor the Genius Bar turned me away when I sought help for the slow performance. They didn't offer any solutions, but they didn't say "not supported."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 47
    ols said:
    So when is “Time Machine” backup being removed from MacOS? It is not perfect but I works and that what I like
    Time Machine literally has nothing to do with AirPorts, so not sure why that'd be a thing. A Time Capsule was just network attached storage.
    It's only a thing because so many third-party routers don't support Time Machine.

We had a big external drive plugged into the USB port on the Airport. Our new router doesn't even have a USB port. The one we tried before this one had a port and allowed setting up the drive as shared storage, but it would not work with Time Machine. Apparently there's something unique about Time Machine that the router must specifically support. Just because a router allows attached storage doesn't necessarily mean that Time Machine will work. The majority of routers we looked at didn't.

Not that we particularly miss it. Before we made the switch we wanted to make complete backups of all our computers. We started with mine, a Touch Bar MBP with about 750GB stored on it. When it still hadn't finished the initial backup after THREE DAYS we gave up on it.
    Using a USB drive on an AirPort Extreme was actually not officially supported for Time Machine, and was known to be problematic. 
    Really? Are you sure? I'm almost positive the blurb on the Apple web site specifically listed printers and Time Machine backups as uses for that port. I could be wrong, though. It's been known to happen from time to all the time.

If you're right, and I trust your memory more than my own, Apple support is even more forgiving than I thought. Neither telephone support nor the Genius Bar turned me away when I sought help for the slow performance. They didn't offer any solutions, but they didn't say "not supported."
    Actually, looks like it was officially supported in the 'ac' tower version, but not the older models which is what I was working with when I looked into this before. It was unsupported on the "flat" Extremes, and while some people were able to get it to work, it was unreliable. I still have a pair of 'n' flat versions at home.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 47
    ols said:

Actually, looks like it was officially supported in the 'ac' tower version, but not the older models which is what I was working with when I looked into this before. It was unsupported on the "flat" Extremes, and while some people were able to get it to work, it was unreliable. I still have a pair of 'n' flat versions at home.
    So you LIED!!!

(Kidding! Kidding! Put down the scissors!)

Yeah, I was referring to the tower version. Our last pancake died peacefully in its sleep a few months ago. It is survived by two towers, both now retired. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to development of long-range high-speed wireless network standards.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Here's something I find curious about the current situation:

Mesh systems are super cool, but they all seem to lack the ability to connect USB devices like a printer or hard drive, and almost all lack downstream ethernet ports, so I can't add a switch or even plug-in my networked-but-not-wireless printer to the satellite extenders (in some cases, not even to the primary base station).

Traditional (not mesh) offerings from the majors offer excellent performance, but almost all lack support for Time Machine, and almost all of them look like a giant dead bug. My wife just about shit herself when I set up a Synology in the living room.

The Apple AC towers still offer reasonable performance and support current standards, plus they overcome the Time Machine, USB, and ethernet hurdles the others trip over. So how come no one on Craigslist will buy mine for under a hundred bucks Canadian each? That's like $75 US.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 47
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    "Apple has promised continued software/firmware updates for the AirPort line in order to fix security and stability problems."

What Apple should do is to "continue software/firmware updates for ALL PRODUCT LINES in order to fix security and stability problems."
  • Reply 46 of 47
    ivanh said:
    "Apple has promised continued software/firmware updates for the AirPort line in order to fix security and stability problems."

What Apple should do is to "continue software/firmware updates for ALL PRODUCT LINES in order to fix security and stability problems."
    They do.
    watto_cobramacxpress
  • Reply 47 of 47
    SO will we get WPA3 upgrades?